E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550
Old 06-24-2015, 05:09 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Spoiler install: tape, glue or both

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 10:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E-class
funny how this thread resurrected... I just taped my spoiler this afternoon.

I couldnt get the factory spoiler here in china so I went for an oem. Fit is only so so, and on the edge I can clearly see a little space. I attached it actually a few weeks ago with the tape that it came with. It came lose after only a few days. So I took it off, and got new 3M tape online. Then I got the package of tapes and I suspected that they were fake 3M, and indeed they were, they came off after two days.

Finally I went to the official 3m seller on the china equivalent eBay (called taobao) and paid 3 times the price as I paid before. I taped it on one side 2 weeks ago, let it sit, as the instructions says the tape will not be strong the first three days, but will get stronger afterwards. Then this afternoon, I removed the other side of the tape and slapped it on my trunk, plus adding some duct tape to hold this thing in place. I'm gonna give it 2 days and see if it finally stays on this time.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
when i put on mine, i had the car cover on and let it sat there for a few days before i hit the road. that could help .
Old 06-06-2012, 10:15 PM

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 G63
i bought both the roof spoiler and trunk spoilers aftermarket, and had no luck with them staying on. I had them professionally painted, applied 3M double sided tape and the corners of the trunk spoiler slowly pulled off. The roof spoiler completely popped off on one side.

I eventually took both off, cleaned the surfaces really good on the car and the spoilers, applied more 3M tape, and had no luck again. I was sitting at a stop light and heard a loud "POP", and the roof spoiler popped off on the one side again?

I even bought the Irwin rubber tipped squeeze claps and clamped the tips of the truck spoiler down, leaving the car in the garage for an entire weekend. 5 days later the truck spoiler started pulling off again!! I just yanked both off, and now have them just sitting in the garage.

I loved the looked of the spoilers, but I now refuse to buy another set! I bought them from Express Body Parts on Ebay. Has anybody else bought from them, and had this issue? I'm sure it's just cheap quality!!
Old 06-06-2012, 10:44 PM

E-class
Originally Posted by veerodder
i bought both the roof spoiler and trunk spoilers aftermarket, and had no luck with them staying on. I had them professionally painted, applied 3M double sided tape and the corners of the trunk spoiler slowly pulled off. The roof spoiler completely popped off on one side.

I eventually took both off, cleaned the surfaces really good on the car and the spoilers, applied more 3M tape, and had no luck again. I was sitting at a stop light and heard a loud "POP", and the roof spoiler popped off on the one side again?

I even bought the Irwin rubber tipped squeeze claps and clamped the tips of the truck spoiler down, leaving the car in the garage for an entire weekend. 5 days later the truck spoiler started pulling off again!! I just yanked both off, and now have them just sitting in the garage.

I loved the looked of the spoilers, but I now refuse to buy another set! I bought them from Express Body Parts on Ebay. Has anybody else bought from them, and had this issue? I'm sure it's just cheap quality!!

my two previous installations were just like yours... very sad and frustrating. now i'm on my third and final try. i'm more confident this time as well because the 3M tapes are authentic finally (i believe). it's been two days in the garage with duct tapes on top holding the thing down, so far so good. i'm gonna continue to let it sit until i need to use the car, which probably won't for another 2 days.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
wow, that doesn't sound too fun for both of you guys and quite embarrassing. have you guys asked the dealer what kind of tape they use? i don't think it's because of the spoilers. doesn't matter how bad the quality is, if the tape is strong enough, i think it'll still hold.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:00 AM

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 G63
my spoilers are aftermarket, not from the factory. I wanted the spoilers when I bought my E350, and the dealership couldn't find one with the other options I wanted. And I wasn't about to pay the high cost for the spoilers from MB.

I bought brand new 3M automotive double sided tape from Autozone also. I don't think there is anything else out there stronger, except an epoxy, and I'm not going to glue them down. I work at a car dealership and even our bodyshop guys say the 3M tape is the only thing they use?
Old 06-07-2012, 12:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lexus gx470
Isn't there a silicone adhevise or something?
Old 06-07-2012, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c350 BMW135i GLK350
WOW...I use 3m tape on my license plate, instead of drilling holes, 3 years and still hanging on to the front bumper....
Old 06-07-2012, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
Originally Posted by veerodder
my spoilers are aftermarket, not from the factory. I wanted the spoilers when I bought my E350, and the dealership couldn't find one with the other options I wanted. And I wasn't about to pay the high cost for the spoilers from MB.

I bought brand new 3M automotive double sided tape from Autozone also. I don't think there is anything else out there stronger, except an epoxy, and I'm not going to glue them down. I work at a car dealership and even our bodyshop guys say the 3M tape is the only thing they use?
why don't you ask your guys do it for you one last time? they might do it better w/their magic hands. not hurt to try .
Old 06-07-2012, 05:51 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W211 E320 & W212 E550
Well everyone is learning the hard way as I did. Many of you with lighter colored cars may get by but I'm betting in time they will still pull up. I've used 3M double sided, more than once and the "high strength" emblem tapes, you name it, they just don't work!! The surface of these cars get too hot really for any "tape" type product to work effectively. Reason I say "tape" product is heat affects it's bonding strength. Only thing that works, adhesive silicone!! as it's not affected by heat. I used black so as to not be noticed and used it on both my spoilers. It was only on the ends that I noticed the tape letting go. So I put a 3'' line under each end of the spoiler and have not had a single problem. I battled this crap off and on for 2 yrs. I said that's enough.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:29 PM

E-class
i think spoiler is in the shape similar to the alphanet "V", so aftermarket spoiler can have a fit problem which causes the two tips to pop up.

i specifically read the instructions of 3M double sided foam tape. it says the first few days it might not be as strong, and it gets stronger over time. so i think the correct way (my third try) to do it, is to apply the tape on the back of the spoiler, and let it sit for a few days (weeks even better) first, allowing that side to be strong. then peel of the other side and tape it on the car, use duct tape to hold it in place, give it another few days.

i checked again this morning and it seems to be in place this time. tomorrow i'm removing the duct tape and take the car out for a spin. it that thing pops up again, i'm putting the wing up for sale (or break it in half with my fat thigh).
Old 06-17-2012, 07:07 AM

E-class
Ok, after 10 days, it popped up again.
I'm officially giving up on my spoiler.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:21 AM

on order 2013 E350
Hi everyone i might be able to help you out with your spoiler problems. I installed a oem spoiler on my bmw coupe 2 yrs ago with the glue that you you have to purchase to install spoiler. I have not had one problem with it since. It is much stronger than tape. The glue is called betalink K1 the BMW part # is 82699408866 now this is only for the trunk spoiler. They make a seperate glue for the roof/ window spoiler called betaglass. I do not have part # for that. I hope this helps some of you out. Iam sure i will be doing this myself when my 2013 E350 comes in august. As i ordered the spoiler package.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
Originally Posted by leapingpoint
Ok, after 10 days, it popped up again.
I'm officially giving up on my spoiler.

man, sucks to hear that. is it because of the humidity and heat in china ?

Originally Posted by dennisnyc40
Hi everyone i might be able to help you out with your spoiler problems. I installed a oem spoiler on my bmw coupe 2 yrs ago with the glue that you you have to purchase to install spoiler. I have not had one problem with it since. It is much stronger than tape. The glue is called betalink K1 the BMW part # is 82699408866 now this is only for the trunk spoiler. They make a seperate glue for the roof/ window spoiler called betaglass. I do not have part # for that. I hope this helps some of you out. Iam sure i will be doing this myself when my 2013 E350 comes in august. As i ordered the spoiler package.
if you have the spoiler package, you don't have to worry a bit. just go back to the dealer if anything goes wrong.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:20 PM

2012 E350
Originally Posted by fcienfuegos
Funny you guys resurrected this thread today...as I was finishing washing my car I noticed that one of the corners on the trunk lid spoiler had become undone...the car is three months old and it came with the spoiler from the factory ...I can clearly see that the spoiler was taped on...I'm going to call the dealership tomorrow to have it repaired, I mean re-taped and de-badged while at it...
Update:

First try: The dealer sent my car to the MBZ authorized body repair shop in Riverside (Caliber Collision), they removed and re-taped the spoiler. Drove home and the next morning it was coming off again.

Second try: Caliber tried it again and after further inspection by the service consultant at the dealer, they decided to just replace the part. So they order a new trunk spoiler.

Third try: Dealer ordered new spoiler, to my surprise, the ordered the AMG spoiler...sweettt! Caliber taped it on and it looks like new, no issues so far.

This is what Caliber said: Once the spoiler is removed, it gets deformed and it will never stay in place again. The only solution is to start over with a new spoiler, which in my particular case, was covered by the warranty.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:47 PM

2017 E300 4M
It all depends what kind of spoiler you’re going to install. If you gonna get one like the picture below you definitely have to bolt it on (use lots of bolts!) For you OEM MB spoilers use double side tape provided and you’ll be just fine. Removal procedure same as de-badging (heat, fishing line)
Here’s the link to the automotive 3M tape you want if you gonna reinstall it:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...beK4JN83P3JZgl
Attached Thumbnails Spoiler install:  tape, glue or both-.jpg  
Old 06-25-2012, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
man, black wheels, tinted rear windows, no amber sidemarkers, wing nicely installed. what's not to like ?
Old 06-25-2012, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
Third try: Dealer ordered new spoiler, to my surprise, the ordered the AMG spoiler...sweettt! Caliber taped it on and it looks like new, no issues so far.
is it the cf one? i wonder what if you don't like it and want a color matching one .
Old 06-25-2012, 05:16 PM

2012 E350
Funny you guys resurrected this thread today...as I was finishing washing my car I noticed that one of the corners on the trunk lid spoiler had become undone...the car is three months old and it came with the spoiler from the factory ...I can clearly see that the spoiler was taped on...I'm going to call the dealership tomorrow to have it repaired, I mean re-taped and de-badged while at it...
Originally Posted by BM2BZ
is it the cf one? i wonder what if you don't like it and want a color matching one .
They ordered it black to color match it with the car.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
oh, so you can't really tell the difference in couple yards away, right? but still nice to have, though .
Old 12-13-2013, 03:28 AM

E-class
this thread popped up again!

i have new update info on this topic, thought i might as well just share:

like i said in my previous post, i taped my aftermarket spoiler and added glue around it as well. it stayed finally. 2 weeks ago, i decided to remove the spoiler to wrap it so it would have a carbon fiber look. so this time when i removed the spoiler, i found that the spoiler's curve shape matches 100% with my trunk. i finally realized why it popped up the first time i tried to install it: because the aftermarket spoiler's curve shape didn't 100% match the trunk, so it would require more force to sort of "bend" it into the correct shape; hence using just 3M tape wasn't enough. after being there for 2 years with both tape and glue, it changed shape to match perfectly with the trunk!

so after wrapping the spoiler with carbon fiber tape, and installing with 3M tape onto the trunk, it fits perfectly and doesn't require any additional glue!
Old 02-27-2014, 01:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
2010 c300
Originally Posted by LOVE MB
It all depends what kind of spoiler you’re going to install. If you gonna get one like the picture below you definitely have to bolt it on (use lots of bolts!) For you OEM MB spoilers use double side tape provided and you’ll be just fine. Removal procedure same as de-badging (heat, fishing line)
Here’s the link to the automotive 3M tape you want if you gonna reinstall it:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...beK4JN83P3JZgl
There's a few listed. Which one? Help!
Old 02-27-2014, 07:50 AM

lexus gx470
What kind of glue did you use?
Originally Posted by leapingpoint
this thread popped up again!

i have new update info on this topic, thought i might as well just share:

like i said in my previous post, i taped my aftermarket spoiler and added glue around it as well. it stayed finally. 2 weeks ago, i decided to remove the spoiler to wrap it so it would have a carbon fiber look. so this time when i removed the spoiler, i found that the spoiler's curve shape matches 100% with my trunk. i finally realized why it popped up the first time i tried to install it: because the aftermarket spoiler's curve shape didn't 100% match the trunk, so it would require more force to sort of "bend" it into the correct shape; hence using just 3M tape wasn't enough. after being there for 2 years with both tape and glue, it changed shape to match perfectly with the trunk!

so after wrapping the spoiler with carbon fiber tape, and installing with 3M tape onto the trunk, it fits perfectly and doesn't require any additional glue!
Old 02-28-2014, 05:00 PM

e350
The 3M tape you're supposed to use is 3M VHB(Very High Bond) we use it at work and I can literally hang from a two inch square piece of tape that is bonded to something. The trick is to clean off the trunk with alcohol to remove all oils,wax, and dust. Clay the trunk if you have to. It is the same tape that is used on the emblems. Once this stuff sets, there is really no way to remove it.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:03 PM

lexus gx470
I figured with all the drag on it, glue would be necessary.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Spoiler install: tape, glue or both