E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550
Old 06-05-2015, 01:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Car Detailing and Cleaning Guides
Print Wikipost

can i get rid of swirl marks?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350
can i get rid of swirl marks?

hello every one! last week i left my car to get detailed at my "local" bodyshop. i left it for a day, and picked it up at the end of the day towards dusk. when i was getting up for summer school the next morning i noticed BAD swirl marks on my car, since it is black its even worse. my question is is there anyway i can hand remove these swirl marks? im no good with the buffing machine things.(sorry i have no iddea what they are called). i dont want to take it back to the body shop cause if they messed up this bad now, whats going to happen next time LMAO.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:57 PM

E350 Coupe
I'm afraid that you will not be able to remove buffer induced swirl marks by hand. Your best bet is to find another detailer that has experience with the ceramic paint used on Mercedes Benz cars. It does require special care/treatment for two reasons. First, it is very hard and second the hardened layer is thin. If handled too aggressively it is possible to buff through the hard layer. This can permantly damage your paint. There was a very good post describing MB's ceramic paint just recently. Do a search...it explains in detail what I summarized above.Here's the link Don't Machine Polish Your Car too much! - Article Inside

Last edited by steelgrey; 06-23-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:19 PM

2012 E350
not all Mercedes Benz have ceramic coating, I have a 2012 e350 black, paint code 040, and it does not have ceramic coate. Look on the drivers side for your paint code, if you see a "C" before of after the paint code then it definately has ceramic coating. if you do not have ceramic coating, all you need is a light polish applied with a buffer to remove the swirl marks. Look in the detailimg forum, there are many threads about this issue there.

good luck

Originally Posted by steelgrey
I'm afraid that you will not be able to remove buffer induced swirl marks by hand. Your best bet is to find another detailer that has experience with the ceramic paint used on Mercedes Benz cars. It does require special care/treatment for two reasons. First, it is very hard and second the hardened layer is thin. If handled too aggressively it is possible to buff through the hard layer. This can permantly damage your paint. There was a very good post describing MB's ceramic paint just recently. Do a search...it explains in detail what I summarized above.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:22 PM

E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by fcienfuegos
not all Mercedes Benz have ceramic coating, I have a 2012 e350 black, paint code 040, and it does not have ceramic coate. Look on the drivers side for your paint code, if you see a "C" before of after the paint code then it definately has ceramic coating. if you do not have ceramic coating, all you need is a light polish applied with a buffer to remove the swirl marks. Look in the detailimg forum, there are many threads about this issue there.

good luck
I have a 2010 E Coupe which is a black C040.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:32 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Talking

another remedy might be to gauge your eyes out......(jk)
I have a black one too and it can cause insanity......
been keeping my cool as of late, but when I start thinking about it......

good luck!!
Old 06-23-2012, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 119 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
Hmmm...My code only says 040 on the door sticker...I called the dealer and the dealer confirmed that I DO INDEED have the ceramic clear coat...
Why would Mercedes make some vehicles with ceramic clears and other cars without them, especially with the same color?
I'm pretty sure ALL W212's have ceramic clear coat on them
Old 06-23-2012, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yep, all W212's have Ceramic clear coat. I looked on cars.com for other non-black cars and found that the door stickers for other paints didn't have a C in front of the color code
Old 06-23-2012, 08:17 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
That sucks.

Under hard lighting, I can see heavy swirls that weirdly run ONLY along the bulged crease points on my car (i.e the middle of the hood where it creases upward), which were on the car before I bought it (stupid dealer, I don't know WTF they did). It's in a perfect "zipper pattern", maybe they peeled something off the car wrong when they got it.

It does bother me, but fortunately, my car is white, and to be honest, on white cars, even the worst swirls aren't noticeable 95% of the time. I figure, if I buy it after the Lease is up, I might get a real deal "Paint Correction".

I'd look into that if I were you. I feel for you guys with black cars.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:31 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Originally Posted by fcienfuegos

good luck
Partially incorrect. The type of product that you'll need to correct the paint depends on the amount of swirling.

The OP should find a proper detailer and spend the $350+ to get the swirls properly removed.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:46 PM

2012 E350
Originally Posted by CEB
Partially incorrect. The type of product that you'll need to correct the paint depends on the amount of swirling.
Agreed, he can try something like this:

http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-cer...nish-kit-.html
Old 06-23-2012, 09:47 PM

2012 E350
Originally Posted by steelgrey
I have a 2010 E Coupe which is a black C040.
Mine only reads 040, I have been told that this paint code does not have ceramic clear coat.

Last edited by fcienfuegos; 06-24-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ALL new Mercedes no longer show the letter "C" in front of the paint code since now, all Mercedes have Ceramiclears. They have had this technology since the early 2000's. Go to the dealer. You will notice that no E classes have the letter "C" in front of the paint code...This DOES NOT mean that the cars don't have Ceramic clear coat.

The 2009 Mercedes Paint Systems, Repair and Care Technology Guide (Available to dealers) says, "The factory finish of virtually all Daimler AG models has been converted to the new clearcoat systems."

Last edited by newyorktoLA; 06-23-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 576 Likes on 431 Posts
W212 FL
Mine is 040 , non metallic black paint too. It was not until this topic ,I was aware of this "C" halmark . I presumed all the colors were ceramic coating . I will check out mine as well
Thanks for your inputs, appreciated as always and best of wishes f OP
Old 06-24-2012, 01:56 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2015, ML250 BlueTEC
2012 W212 w/ Black paint Nanowax.

Have been using Eagle One Nanowax for the past several years. Took delivery of 2012 about 3 months ago(factory ordered). After 1 month went over paint with my Mcguires orbital buffer very gently applying Nanowax and then removing residue by hand w/ microfiber towels. Shortly after applied Eagle One "Wipe & Shine" fast detailer and again wiped off with microfiber towels. Paint looks fantastic. No marks and as smooth as a baby"s ---. Have seen info that this can fill in minute surface scratches.
All I can safely say is that it works for me. My cars NEVER go thru a car wash and I do all my own detailing.
By the way I have found that the orange colored microfiber towels @ Target are very good for this work and have used them since I started this process. Have no experience on working on cars with preexisting problems.
One other thing. Also recommend washing by hand with a good microfiber mitt and using the 2 bucket method and lots of suds. Wipe dry with fluffy microfiber towels Lots of scratches are often created with improper washing procedures.
Washing and detailing takes me about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. This is not a complete detailing. Only paint and wheels.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,417 Likes on 3,146 Posts
'71 Pinto
JUN02 up to 6/30/10 all vehicles with clearcoat are marked with a C in front of paint code on model plate. C identification was deleted as of 7/1/10.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML350 4Matic and CLK 430
Black Car Woes - just accept and move on!

I used to feel the same way, my black car's swirl marks and tiny a** water spots that I could only see in certain CLOSE up light drove me nuts (sometimes still do).

But there came a time where I thought to myself..."I want to own this car and enjoy it...I don't want the car to own ME!" I just felt I was spending too much time worrying, attentive to this ridiculousness. I was enjoying it less and always neurotic about driving/using. Until I realized I bought this car to drive...DUH!

Food for thought.

My ML is a car I drive every day....let's be honest...it's on the road, out in the weather, being USED - I just learned to accept that it won't be perfect...and it keeps me sane. I can also say...with my regular washes, and occasional waxing, it really does look awesome....it's just if light hits it at a certain angle, and you are scrutinizing it...you can see the marks.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:27 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by johnnr
I used to feel the same way, my black car's swirl marks and tiny a** water spots that I could only see in certain CLOSE up light drove me nuts (sometimes still do).

But there came a time where I thought to myself..."I want to own this car and enjoy it...I don't want the car to own ME!" I just felt I was spending too much time worrying, attentive to this ridiculousness. I was enjoying it less and always neurotic about driving/using. Until I realized I bought this car to drive...DUH!

Food for thought.

My ML is a car I drive every day....let's be honest...it's on the road, out in the weather, being USED - I just learned to accept that it won't be perfect...and it keeps me sane. I can also say...with my regular washes, and occasional waxing, it really does look awesome....it's just if light hits it at a certain angle, and you are scrutinizing it...you can see the marks.
Man, very crazy timing for you to say this. I recently was parking my car where a valet guy was telling me how much "room I had" to back up (annoyingly unnecessary that time due to my camera and parking sensors to help with that). When I got close, he "tapped" my car to notify me when to stop. I was fuming inside as I know people don't care, but I spend so much time trying NOT to touch this car, worrying about people literally touching the black paint which can actually show scuffs on it, etc. Low and behold? His fingerprints left smudgy small swirl marks. Not noticeable generally but I could see them under direct lighting.

It got me thinking.... if I were to hypoethetically truly plan to keep this car for a long time and looking brand new "forever", imagine what that would do to my psychy. Every time someone literally puts their fingers on the car, you'd have to scan it for marks.

Just today, I was sitting in traffic, at a light. A Motorcyclist slowly rolls past me in between my lane and the one to the right of me. All of a sudden I hear a hard "clink", I was worried that I oddly enough knew EXACTLY what it was. It was a LOW SPEED rock chip from that unique predicament which 99.99% of the time will be impossible to kick up anything. Somehow some debris must have caught his big tire and even at crawling speeds, flung out.

When I analyzed, I finally found an area to the right of my passenger door handle which had two perfect tiny "chips". My luck right? Most paranoid/clean car on the road and I get the most unassuming of rock chips. I wasn't even on the highway or driving when it happened!

Anyway, long story short. I tend to get so attached to my cars that when I admire them I want them to be "perfect" or I feel I can't enjoy them at all. However, at what cost? I keep telling myself to not give a crap and just get all the rock chips in the world, sprinkler spots, swirls, etc. "Normal" people probably can't tell or appreciate a perfect or worn out version of the exact same car.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:02 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
I think the only way to really remove swirlmarks is to cut off the head
Old 04-30-2013, 11:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML350 4Matic and CLK 430
"Enjoy your car"

I feel you K-A.

Isn't that a crappy situation - to only admire and enjoy your car if you deem it perfect? When to most people....your car probably is perfect looking..I'll bet only you see those things you point out.

Think of it....cars are outside...in the elements...in the weather etc...being driven. They are going to face what life has to give them...and these mercedes do it quite well. I mean...mine does have those clear coat scratches and you can maybe see them in certain, rare sun. So what? it is what it is! It's just a fact of black cars.

And for the car wash dealer avoidance...I say screw it - I want to leverage the free car washes. And honestly, if you're not inspecting your car with a mag. glass, they do a good job in my experience. (SoCal dealer)

If you ascribe to a lot of what I see written on these websites about all these "things" you must do to keep it "perfect," I think I'd personally lose all satisfaction in driving my car at all. My goodness, it seems one must even avoid touching your car because fingerprints can also "damage" clear coat.
And....so you spend time making it "perfect," but then you drive it one day...it rains...and now you have water marks. Or...it gets dust all over it and mud from a truck driving in front of you....then you go nuts...

Unless your car stays in the garage...and that's just crazy...why buy it if you're going to stress over using it. If that's the case...is it really bringing someone enjoyment, or is it creating anxiety and worse...a piece of equipment (not an investment since cars depreciate) sitting there!

Given all this, I've decided not to be a slave to my darn mercedes. It's just a car..albeit, a beautiful one I love..but I'm not going to let it own me.

It's not something I bought to give me anxiety and tons of work in keeping the paint look unrealistically-for-every-day driving, "perfect" It's just not a good use of my time, it's unrealistic, time consuming and stress-causing.

I want to drive drive drive the car. Use it for all its got. Now, I'll be clear, I take care of it, wash and wax...but I do it the way I'll bet you'd call it, "normal" people do it
Old 05-01-2013, 09:10 AM

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
'12 E550, '10 ML350, '06 E350, '20 GLC300, '21 GLC300
I break it down to two key points. Looks and execution. Some care about looks more than others and to many different degrees. Analogy to clothing. Some want a new look and/or make an impression while others don't mind as long as it serves minimum standards. The execution part is where some have and means and will while others have means but no will, vice versa and finally those that have neither. I define means as knowledge, equipment and resources.
I have followed our BMW fellow and he had not demonstrated he has the means.
Back to the clothing analogy, if you can't press your pants, starch your collars, sew loose buttons and not willing to do it yourself or pay others but want the look, good luck and it explains why some change cars every year or two. Much like buying new clothes. Your money. Spend it because it helps the rest of us.
I detail and enjoy it. It cost money as well. Polishing pads, clay bars, sealants and other coatings aren't free. But if you don't enjoy it, I would say most people don't. Is this what's referred to as "normal" people?

Posted from Mbworld.org App for Android
Old 05-01-2013, 10:02 AM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury 4Matic
The only standards that should matter is your standards. You can either be in denial or face the truth.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:09 AM

E350 Coupe
Keeping your paint in perfect condition does not have to be a full time job. The most important part of the equation is knowledge. If you take the time to learn the proper techniques and the do's and don'ts. It decreases the time you have to spend. You also have to invest in the proper equipment and supplies which will minimize the amount of time required. There are many sources of accurate, expert advise available online and it's free. Of course, it's far easier to just sit in your comfy chair, sip that third martini (stirred not shaken) and justify your swirled, watermarked finish. Here's a quick tip to deal with swirls. Glaze...glaze is a coverup. It does not remove swirls but makes them harder to see by filling them. Yes, it washes out and needs to be applied frequently but is quick and easy as opposed to buffing. Personally, I enjoy detailing and have acquired the knowledge, equipment and products to keep the paint (Black) swirl free.

Last edited by steelgrey; 05-01-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
e63 NA
Was this the first time you had your body shop detail your car? Could it have just been a bad detail (people get distracted etc). Maybe give them a call or show them the swirls and see if they can help you out.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
The 040 black used on W212 definitely has the PPG Ceramiclear clear coat. The C is no longer used to indicate this.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:26 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by johnnr
I feel you K-A.

Isn't that a crappy situation - to only admire and enjoy your car if you deem it perfect? When to most people....your car probably is perfect looking..I'll bet only you see those things you point out.

Think of it....cars are outside...in the elements...in the weather etc...being driven. They are going to face what life has to give them...and these mercedes do it quite well. I mean...mine does have those clear coat scratches and you can maybe see them in certain, rare sun. So what? it is what it is! It's just a fact of black cars.

And for the car wash dealer avoidance...I say screw it - I want to leverage the free car washes. And honestly, if you're not inspecting your car with a mag. glass, they do a good job in my experience. (SoCal dealer)

If you ascribe to a lot of what I see written on these websites about all these "things" you must do to keep it "perfect," I think I'd personally lose all satisfaction in driving my car at all. My goodness, it seems one must even avoid touching your car because fingerprints can also "damage" clear coat.
And....so you spend time making it "perfect," but then you drive it one day...it rains...and now you have water marks. Or...it gets dust all over it and mud from a truck driving in front of you....then you go nuts...

Unless your car stays in the garage...and that's just crazy...why buy it if you're going to stress over using it. If that's the case...is it really bringing someone enjoyment, or is it creating anxiety and worse...a piece of equipment (not an investment since cars depreciate) sitting there!

Given all this, I've decided not to be a slave to my darn mercedes. It's just a car..albeit, a beautiful one I love..but I'm not going to let it own me.

It's not something I bought to give me anxiety and tons of work in keeping the paint look unrealistically-for-every-day driving, "perfect" It's just not a good use of my time, it's unrealistic, time consuming and stress-causing.

I want to drive drive drive the car. Use it for all its got. Now, I'll be clear, I take care of it, wash and wax...but I do it the way I'll bet you'd call it, "normal" people do it
I hear ya. I just drove my car cross state, bug splatter all over it, has to be parked outside for a few days, exposed to possible sprinklers and tree sap (parking outside is one of my biggest pet peeves).

I figured I'd just throw in the towel, enjoy it, do the best I can but eliminate my "project OCD keep the car looking flawless forever" and just enjoy it utilitarian-y. Hopefully I'll get all the gorgeous blackness out of my system and settle for a silver or white one next, and go back to spending a lot of time on my car with little to no attention from that being put on swirls. With my black car, if I had a graph to break down on what I spend on various elements of upkeep, my black car would have its largest segment taken by "swirl maintenance and prevention". On my previous white car, that probably wasn't even in the equation.

Still.... having one of the rarely "well kept" black cars on the road can be such a stunning sight to behold, it just might be worth it. I find that getting your detailing and "spot fixing" process down to a "T" with gaining as much knowledge as you can, saves time, wildcard aspects, and of course keeps yourself in check. As someone said, your expectations are all that matter. Face it, if you are stressing AT ALL about keeping a black car nice and well-kept, and acting on it even AT ALL, chances are you already have a nicer black paint than 90+% of the people out there.

Getting the right products is also the most important aspect. Bucket with grit guard, right wash mitt, RIGHT MF towels, two bucket method, scratch removers, waxes, touch up pen, etc. etc. Even down to how you WASH your MF towels is a big process to know and have down as well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: can i get rid of swirl marks?