Timing Belt/Waterpump Change on W212

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 10:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 E550 4Matic, P1, P2
Timing Belt/Waterpump Change on W212

Hi all,

I have about 93,000KM on my 2010 E550, had it in for service "A" a few weeks ago and was told the spark plugs needed to be replaced. I went ahead and had the dealer do that for about 350 bucks. (Less then I thought) but it got me thinking. What is the suggestion time for the water pump and timing belt?
Old 04-15-2015, 12:48 PM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 340 Likes on 242 Posts
2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
I thought these had a timing chain, not a belt. If so, then the water pump is serviced separately when needed. I doubt either chain or water pump is due for anything.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
no timing belt. Water pump only when needed.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:12 PM

2010 E550 4Matic, P1, P2
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
no timing belt. Water pump only when needed.
So what if the Waterpump goes? On any other car I have had there was always a service timeframe when the waterpump had to be done
Old 04-15-2015, 02:40 PM

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts
2021 Mojave Silver E450, BRG Jaguar F-pace S, 2011 335d (RIP), 2010 E350 (sold)
Originally Posted by Sean1234
So what if the Waterpump goes? On any other car I have had there was always a service timeframe when the waterpump had to be done
I find it amazing how a company (99% sure we are talking about BMW here - I know because I have one) can successfully convince its customers that certain parts are normal wear and tear items when in fact they are NOT. Well, at least for pretty much every other car manufacturer out there.

Please don't take this the wrong way Sean, this is not a dig but a situation that I simply don't understand...
Old 04-15-2015, 02:55 PM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
2010 E350, Sold 1998 C230
Waterpumps can last 70-100k miles or lots longer. The reason they are changed out with a timing belt is that the cost of the pump is relatively cheap compared to the labor involved to do it and since its already opened up, most people will do it and not worry about it.

Generally when they start to fail you will see a telltale stream of drips of coolant or smell it. On my older c230, I started to smell it when she had around 80k on her, but she was 16 years old too. Besides the serpentine belt, the pump unbolts from the front of the engine. Nothing all that involved compared to a timing belt job.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:13 PM

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
2012 E350 sedan
This is the right answer

Originally Posted by aquinob
Waterpumps can last 70-100k miles or lots longer. The reason they are changed out with a timing belt is that the cost of the pump is relatively cheap compared to the labor involved to do it and since its already opened up, most people will do it and not worry about it.

Generally when they start to fail you will see a telltale stream of drips of coolant or smell it. On my older c230, I started to smell it when she had around 80k on her, but she was 16 years old too. Besides the serpentine belt, the pump unbolts from the front of the engine. Nothing all that involved compared to a timing belt job.

I have never owned any brand of car that had a replacement interval specified for the water pump
Old 04-15-2015, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
I have never changed a water pump on any of my 7 MB cars.
The youngest and lowest mileage car is the current 2011 E350. The oldest is the current 2001 SLK320 and the one I drove the furthest was a W124 E320 DOHC inline 6 to 300,000 km.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:14 PM

w212
Here it goes.... Are M272, M273, M276, and M278 (engine designations i.e. your engines in the W212) do not have timing belts, they have chains which are only serviced when damage occurs. This is usually rare.
Now lets use a subaru for example here, however, there are others that also use a timing belt rather then chain. Now, on a subaru the belt is serviced ever 91k miles i believe. This is to prevent it from breaking. A rubber belt is worn over time, stretches, the auto tensioner maxes out, and thus will eventually break. If this happens to an interference motor the pistons will contact the valves and cause a lot of damage usually remedied by motor replacement as the most cost effective repair. But that's another thread. Our motors are interference motors by the way so timing is critical and this is why the chain is always a better option for engineers. So... the confusion here is based on this logic. On a subaru (and some others) the timing belt drives the water pump. It is recommended to replace the water pump while servicing the timing belt solely because it is cost effective in the long run- not because the water pump is upon a service interval. Its just a smart move because most of the labor is done to get at the pump- may as well replace it while you're in there. Also, if the pump fails down the road it could very well take out your new belt and destroy your motor.
Our water pumps are pretty good, rarely fail, and are driven by the serpentine belt (poly v-belt). This belt is replaced when it looks worn. Your dealer will recommend it when its ready or just ask to have it checked for piece of mind.
The following users liked this post:
iGeorge (03-12-2017)
Old 04-15-2015, 10:09 PM

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
2012 E350 sedan
Agree. There are a few cars where the pump will likely fail before the timing belt

The Mk I Audi TT (I owned 2, an 01 and an 04) was notorious for its OEM plastic impeller on the water pump failing and destroying the timing belt. The tensioner was not a 100K part either. As a result, owners were advised to replace everything every 5 years or 60K. Audi went to a metal impeller and timing chain on later Mk 2 models. (I now own a 2011).

Originally Posted by F3LiX
Here it goes.... Are M272, M273, M276, and M278 (engine designations i.e. your engines in the W212) do not have timing belts, they have chains which are only serviced when damage occurs. This is usually rare.
Now lets use a subaru for example here, however, there are others that also use a timing belt rather then chain. Now, on a subaru the belt is serviced ever 91k miles i believe. This is to prevent it from breaking. A rubber belt is worn over time, stretches, the auto tensioner maxes out, and thus will eventually break. If this happens to an interference motor the pistons will contact the valves and cause a lot of damage usually remedied by motor replacement as the most cost effective repair. But that's another thread. Our motors are interference motors by the way so timing is critical and this is why the chain is always a better option for engineers. So... the confusion here is based on this logic. On a subaru (and some others) the timing belt drives the water pump. It is recommended to replace the water pump while servicing the timing belt solely because it is cost effective in the long run- not because the water pump is upon a service interval. Its just a smart move because most of the labor is done to get at the pump- may as well replace it while you're in there. Also, if the pump fails down the road it could very well take out your new belt and destroy your motor.
Our water pumps are pretty good, rarely fail, and are driven by the serpentine belt (poly v-belt). This belt is replaced when it looks worn. Your dealer will recommend it when its ready or just ask to have it checked for piece of mind.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:56 AM

w212
ok... Sounds like someone screwed up on the R&D over at audi. Benz has always been know to produce torque monsters and usually live up to that standard on most all their motors. Thats exactly why, for years, Benz has always used a double linked chain. Known to be quite bullet proof. Recent motors have been equipped with a single link. Maybe the recent material used is stronger, not sure. I know the chains have been stretching on some of the diesel engines. Enough to cause a rattle and Ive seen the timing out almost 30 degrees on some. In that case, benz has advised owners to replace the chain if the rattle (chain slap) is heard.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:15 AM

2010 E550 4Matic, P1, P2
Originally Posted by F3LiX
Thanks for the run down! Good to know for sure.

Getting to the 100km mark and I plan on keeping the car for another 2 years so I want to get an idea of whats upcoming.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Aside from leaking fluid the most common sign of a water pump going in a modern MB is noise. As the shaft wears it starts to wobble and make a distinct noise. When it wears real bad it will start leaking. Not real loud but something different coming out of your engine bay. You can grab the water pump pulley and see if there's any play. Back off the idler pulley to remove tension on the serpentine belt first to make it easier to feel any play. These serpentine belts are very strong and the only ones I've heard about breaking are when something else breaks or seizes first. Also with the aluminum block engines and radiators and lack of rust in the coolant the water pumps last longer. The last one I replaced for noise was at 100K miles and the coolant was still clean.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 E350 Sport
The water pump is only done with the timing belt because you're already right there when you replace the belt. Changing the belt is a lot of work. If you just change the belt, then soon after the water pump fails, then you have to basically do the entire timing belt job again. So it's just done as preventative maintenance.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:12 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
2013 ML350, 2019 S560
I agree the E550 has a timing chain not a belt. Never need to change, unless more than about 250 k would consider. I change my serpentine belt at 60 k intervals based on past experience with belts in other cars. The coolant is now 150 k non silicate type and with all aluminum engine, the water pumps last a lot longer than they used to. My E550 has no issues at 83 k and last 5 MBs never had any up to 155 k.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2010 E350 SPORT SEDAN, 2006 C280 4MATIC- SOLD 2009 FORD F-250, 2015 KIA OPTIMA HYBRID, 2013 MB E550
WATER PUMP CHANGE AT 85K...SHOULD I...

Originally Posted by mleskovar
Aside from leaking fluid the most common sign of a water pump going in a modern MB is noise. As the shaft wears it starts to wobble and make a distinct noise. When it wears real bad it will start leaking. Not real loud but something different coming out of your engine bay. You can grab the water pump pulley and see if there's any play. Back off the idler pulley to remove tension on the serpentine belt first to make it easier to feel any play. These serpentine belts are very strong and the only ones I've heard about breaking are when something else breaks or seizes first. Also with the aluminum block engines and radiators and lack of rust in the coolant the water pumps last longer. The last one I replaced for noise was at 100K miles and the coolant was still clean.
HELLO SIR.
I HAVE A 2010 E350 RWD THATS AT 85K. I WANT CHANGE THE ROLLERS AND BELT BUT AM NOT SURE IF TO CHANGE THE WATER PUMP. THERE'S NO LEAKING AND I DON'T THINK IT'S MAKING NOISE. TEMPS AND ALL IS OK TOO.
-WOULD YOU CHANGE IT AND WHY NOT WAIT. THANKS
Old 03-10-2017, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by TYUS
-WOULD YOU CHANGE IT AND WHY NOT WAIT...
If the pump shaft has no play don't change it. No big deal either way as they are easy to change.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:11 PM
wxm

2011 e350
The timing belt is a scheduled maintenance item, the water pump is not. While replacing the timing belt, the water pump is right there. It would be too silly to do the timing belt without the water pump, as the pump is relatively cheap in parts comparing the labor. This is why that you always hear people talking replacing them together.

I think w212 has a timing chain , no belt. You don't really need to replace the pump on any schedule. You usually will know when the pump is failing, and most of the time it is the seal fails first and by then you just replace the pump with new seals.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by VegasE
The Mk I Audi TT (I owned 2, an 01 and an 04) was notorious for its OEM plastic impeller on the water pump failing and destroying the timing belt. The tensioner was not a 100K part either. As a result, owners were advised to replace everything every 5 years or 60K. Audi went to a metal impeller and timing chain on later Mk 2 models. (I now own a 2011).
Exactly. Many engines with timing belts also drive the water pump, but the E350 is not a timing belt car. I am also an MK1 Audi TT owner, and the timing belt/water pump combo was crucial to overall engine health. (By the time they had the recall on the plastic impellers, I had already upgraded to the metal impeller.) Most water pumps have a weep hole near the seal that gives the telltale warning that the pump is failing. On my BMW 850i, when the pump failed (with no coolant loss warning), it seized up and broke the serpentine belt that drove it.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
2011 E63, 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 v8, 2013 GMC Denali XL, 1965 Ford Mustang, 2005 Merc. E500
Water pumps can last many years and many miles. My 2011 Hyundai Genesis that I purchased new has just over 200,000 miles on it and the water pump is fine and its the original. My son's 2005 Mercedes E500 has over 160,000 miles on it and the water pump is the original and it works like new.