Fading wood trim question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Fading wood trim question

I know there have been other threads on this topic, but I wanted to ask if there is anybody who has NOT had the problem with fading.
I have a 2010 with Oct. 2009 build date and so far have not seen a problem. Every service, the techs look at it and say no fading. They open door and compare part that is almost always covered at end of dash to other wood in car. Also, I am reluctant to have techs start pulling off all the wood trim, not to mention the negotiations to get ALL the trim front and back replaced.
The car is in my garage about 85% of the time.
Are there people who have had a 2010 or other early model that have not had the wood to fade?
Thanks.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:07 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2010 e350 Luxury p2
El Cid,
It's not an answer to your question but can you let me know whether you plan to get it changed for free or plan to pay?
I have a 2010 with faded wood with no factory or extended warranty and want to learn if i have any right to ask for replacement? I'm not even sure if it would be covered if i purchase an extended warranty.

Interestingly, my wood steering wheel is like new.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If free-probably, if costs-probably not

Originally Posted by bachree
El Cid,
It's not an answer to your question but can you let me know whether you plan to get it changed for free or plan to pay?
I have a 2010 with faded wood with no factory or extended warranty and want to learn if i have any right to ask for replacement? I'm not even sure if it would be covered if i purchase an extended warranty.

Interestingly, my wood steering wheel is like new.
Right now, I see no reason to replace it, especially if I have to pay.
But, if dealership and MBUSA agree it needs to be replaced, probably would do it as I plan to keep the car a long time. Also, all of it would have to be replaced so it would match.
Might consider not replacing the small strips on lower parts of armrests on doors.
However, I am concerned about techs pulling all the trim off and getting new trim in correctly. And it not "popping out" in the future.
My leather/wood steering wheel was replaced after two years because the leather began to shred along the edge where it met the wood. It is slightly darker than the rest of wood in car, but since it does not connect to other wood, it's OK for me.
The wood would have to look really bad for me to consider paying for it myself. I would only trust an MB dealership to do it and that would become expensive.

Last edited by El Cid; 05-03-2015 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:33 AM

2010 e350 Luxury p2
I look forward to hear the outcome of your case. I also don't have any problem with the wood and didn't even notice until seeing the pictures posted in the forum. I'll probably wait until the next oil change to discuss the issue and try to get it changed even though the car is out of warranty.

Originally Posted by El Cid
Right now, I see no reason to replace it, especially if I have to pay.
But, if dealership and MBUSA agree it needs to be replaced, probably would do it as I plan to keep the car a long time. Also, all of it would have to be replaced so it would match.
Might consider not replacing the small strips on lower parts of armrests on doors.
However, I am concerned about techs pulling all the trim off and getting new trim in correctly. And it not "popping out" in the future.
My leather/wood steering wheel was replaced after two years because the leather began to shred along the edge where it met the wood. It is slightly darker than the rest of wood in car, but since it does not connect to other wood, it's OK for me.
The wood would have to look really bad for me to consider paying for it myself. I would only trust an MB dealership to do it and that would become expensive.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No Case

Originally Posted by bachree
I look forward to hear the outcome of your case. I also don't have any problem with the wood and didn't even notice until seeing the pictures posted in the forum. I'll probably wait until the next oil change to discuss the issue and try to get it changed even though the car is out of warranty.
Just to be clear. I do NOT have a case since I have not asked for it to be replaced.
Just wondering if there are experiences where the wood trim does NOT need to be replaced.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:56 AM

2010 e350 Luxury p2
Originally Posted by El Cid
Just to be clear. I do NOT have a case since I have not asked for it to be replaced.
Just wondering if there are experiences where the wood trim does NOT need to be replaced.
I worded it wrong. I'll keep an eye on this topic to see the comments and your next step.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
after reading all the threads on here about the faded wood (since mine is faded but I am out of warranty) along with the service bulletins and speaking to a few service advisors at my local dealer, it seems to be a question of when it will fade, not if it will. apparently the coating on the wood does not block the UV rays which cause the fading. This was corrected in builds post August 2011.

If you have the car garaged 85% of the time, you may just be avoiding the problem. Window tint would also help if you have it.

El Cid, are you still under warranty? If they don't cover it, IIRC it would run over $2k with labor as the wood kit part was about $1,500.