Might buy a 2012 E350 diesel and I need help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 139 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
Might buy a 2012 E350 diesel and I need help

As per my title says i need help and input from e-class owners here as I am planning in replacing my 09 c-class with something newer and a diesel E caught my eye. The car has the launch package and only has 21k (kilometers not miles) on it.

So what are the pit falls of getting a diesel with the age of the car? I am planning on keeping the car for at least 5-7 years.

Also, does the diesel E class not a 4matic or was it a option before?

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2015, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
2006 E320 CDI 2014 C63 507 Coupe 2012 E550 4M 2016 E63s Wagon
No 4matic till the changed over to a 4-banger with the 2014 E250. Car should be under warranty and with low milage not a lot to worry about. Oil cooler and some other issues with the v6. I owned german diesels for ~15 years the economy isn't as good as it used to be due to the increased price of diesel relative to gas. Then again I need a v8 to get that diesel torque.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
2012-2013 E350BT

I am now driving my 4th MB diesel. The V6 diesels are solid cars that will definitely endure for many years.

My previous diesel was a 2013 E350BT; great highway car with loads of torque.
Fuel economy on the highway is very good. Downsides are no 4Matic option and turbo lag, especially noticeable in city driving. If you are considering a MY2012 or MY2013, I would suggest that you also consider the MB Canada Extended Warranty.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 139 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
Thanks guys. The extended warranty is a must after owning the c-class as I had approx. 10k worth of repairs that happened after the factory warranty was over and I thanked myself for buying the extended warranty.

Derek since you are also in Vancouver did you had any problem with the rear wheel drive torque monster during winter time?

Also since it does not have 4matic is it better in the long run as there is no transfer case problems? What are the things to watch out for during my vehicle walk through without even looking at the service records.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by shotgun_banjo

Derek since you are also in Vancouver did you had any problem with the rear wheel drive torque monster during winter time?

Also since it does not have 4matic is it better in the long run as there is no transfer case problems? What are the things to watch out for during my vehicle walk through without even looking at the service records.
Until I purchased my 2015 E250BT 4M, I have always driven RWD cars. With the E350BT, you have to be a bit light footed on the throttle in slippery conditions. But the car is equipped with electronic traction control which does reduce RW slippage. With snow tires fitted for winter, I have never had any issues getting around or driving the Coquihalla in winter with my RWD diesel.

Yes, 4Matic would potentially have more maintenance than RWD over the long haul. For me, that's one more reason to purchase Extended Warranty, as I plan to keep my car for 5-7 years.

Service records are important. If the car has not been properly maintained with the annual services by MBC, I would pass. You would also want to make sure that the car has not had any ICBC declarations for collision damage. Look carefully for any signs of overspray or evidence of re-painting. Remember also to check out the underside of the car for any damage.

If you are looking at the CPO 2012 E350BT @ NorthVan MBC, then you should have no worries about the mechanical aspects of this car.
The price is likely negotiable and the 0.6% financing is very attractive (practically free financing !).
Good luck !

Last edited by DerekACS; 04-30-2015 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
w212 E350 Bluetec & Mk7 GTI Sport
Originally Posted by shotgun_banjo
As per my title says i need help and input from e-class owners here as I am planning in replacing my 09 c-class with something newer and a diesel E caught my eye. The car has the launch package and only has 21k (kilometers not miles) on it.
I have a 2010 C 300 Luxury as well, and bought a 2012 E350 Bluetec. So our situation is similar. Drove an 09 C300 sport, and 08/07 E350s Black/White at the same time. So ive had a few. My dads had this bluetec before in an 11, and the new DI 2013 350 as well;

So, mine was 27k miles(at 40k now after 6.5 months) 3.5 years unlimited mile warranty. couldve gotten another year for like 1000 bucks. Stupid that I didnt. Just bringing you up to speed with why my opinion can help you. Ask if its equipped with run flats! 250 vs 350 and CPO makes a difference. Even if you wait for a 250 cpo, ask abot the tires. Run flats are cool but if your not prepared for it , itll **** you off; youll want to switch that out in the deal if its not your cup of tea.

So what are the pit falls of getting a diesel with the age of the car? I am planning on keeping the car for at least 5-7 years.
Diesels? Main problem is previous owner may have babied it. Just like the old SL Gullwings in the case of being direct injected, it required being driven hard or the oil would contaminate faster. So often changing your oil at 7500 rather than 10k would be advisable for any car.... Older folks wont do that usually. Otherwise the engines run up to 250,000 no problem. Old models had leaks but thats often surfacing in 5x owners changing hands and who knows what they did with oil and driving pattern..

I put a tuning box on mine after 3 months and drove it hard with that on for another 3 months.. just took it off, and i cant remember why i wanted the extra power in the first place. I sold the box; Mercedes tuned it just right. NOT the fastest it can go, but the best it can be. I have to say. Very few manufacturers make 100% bespoke transmissions, despite their qwerky nature and learning curve...

Also, does the diesel E class not a 4matic or was it a option before?
Thanks!
As these gentlemen ahve said, the new one is mandatory 4matic i believe. the 250 has better gas mileage, 4matic, and the twin turbo setup. Although it is a half second slower than the 350, (really a 2987 cc engine) the 250s(a 2100cc engine) setup does eliminate the sensation of turbo lag. I prefer the V6 firing pattern rumble and the characteristics of the 6.

I gave my C to my lady and just drive the bluetec.Trading it in was only good for 100 something off the payments / month. Plan to keep her for 10 years possibly. The 250 is too spacey. Design wise, too many new cpu features to break..(kind of miss eco start stop tho, 2013 350 bluetec this is an option i believe).

The extended warranty is a must after owning the c-class as I had approx. 10k worth of repairs that happened after the factory warranty was over and I thanked myself for buying the extended warranty.
Hmm, mine is at 85k right now and I havent had to replace much yet. Shes due for a hefty maintenance though soon. Had a cat converter replaced under warranty from previous owners son using cheap gas....

I wish I could chime in on this, but there are folks here with a 200cdi in norway and many other snow-dwelling folks who can add to his response.

Supposedly my dad says this is true, but thats from a salesmans point of view. Honestly, I pick what i love so much ill fix it no matter what happens. 4matic is what some people love therefore the extra 1200 to repair it extra, estimated..., wouldnt it be worth it?

Last edited by Trancebolt; 05-03-2015 at 01:24 PM.