E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Help! Need advice on warranty coverage and insurance claim

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 01:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
12 E-Class
Help! Need advice on warranty coverage and insurance claim

So a week ago was where North Dakota experienced hurricane winds recorded up to 82mph and flash floods for two days straight. Unfortunately, I was driving my car home where my car flooded on the street. The insurance agency is ONLY covering a used replacement engine clocked at 28,xxx which is 10,000 under orginal. I'm just concerned because this is what they are only covering. My question is there any other parts of my car mechanicaly I need to be concerned about that may be comprised?

Second question is that I have 38,xxx and original warranty will end march, 2016 or 2017. My seat stitching is torn, the sunroof has trouble closing sometimes(it will close very slowly or open back up) and that the wood trim may be faded. I tried to address this to the dealership and the receptionist said, "we will look into this, but one job at a time. I would need to have an person above me to see if it's something that's covered under warranty." Is she just blowing this off to avoid the issue? It's already there and not going anywhere soon why can't they send the request to MBUSA?

I picked up a 2nd job this year in February to help my parents financial situation so I do not have the time to drive 3 hours to the nearest dealership in ND to get these problems looked at. I see that the wood trim fading replacement has been granted to multiple owners and I would graciously hear anyone's advice. I feel like I don't have much insight in this situation and my free time has drastically been limited so I could use the help.

Also there were trucks and suvs going frantically around other stopped cars around the streets so I called a 2nd claim for collision since I thought one truck nearly hit me. The only thing wrecked from the exterior is the front license plate is ripped off so I want to see if this can be caused from driving though the water. I understand it wasnt the best thing to do, but what is your opinion on this? See if I can get it covered in my comprehensive claim if I take back my car getting possibly scraped by another truck?

Last edited by ND_eclass; 07-04-2015 at 01:51 AM.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Sorry for your problems, but driving in water is dangerous and should be done very, very slowly if at all. Unless you can show a vehicle actually hit you, doubt you can prove collision damage. Plate probably came off from force of water.
You need to have the dealer examine your car, especially if you are concerned about future of warranty.
The receptionist should never answer questions re: actual service or warranty issues. You need to talk to a service advisor, maybe even the service manager.
Any dealer can evaluate ALL your problems at one visit. May take a few days though if several and real complicated. Appears they already have the car anyway?
They should be able to do the seat stitching, faded wood and sunroof very quickly.
If water destroyed the engine, need to throughly evaluate the electrical system and electronics. Was water forced into the HVAC system?
Good luck, but get dealer on your side to negotiate with the insurance adjuster.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
^ All sound advice right there. Your car will carry a stigma from here on out with a replaced engine. It may take several months for electrical gremlins to creep into your life with a water damaged car, so be ready for them.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:39 AM

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Mine: 2014 E550 4matic; Hers: 2016 CLS 400 4matic
I would try to get them to total the car. As others have said there is probably a lot more damage to the car then just the flooded engine.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:49 AM

12 E-Class
All great responses! I have to admit that I should have been driving slower, and I'll accept all the criticism from that. I would use the quotation function but my phone is my only needs since I have to wait until my macbook is fixed. Ironically, I wanted to make sure it could of been the water force that wrecked my bumper so that I can go and take back the collision claim and just paid the comprehensive claim since I've said, "I was pretty sure someone nicked me."

Are you sure that these preexisting issues could be covered under the manufacturer warranty w/38,×××?
Old 07-04-2015, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Hopefully?

Originally Posted by ND_eclass
Are you sure that these preexisting issues could be covered under the manufacturer warranty w/38,×××?
I believe the warranty transfers, but you might need to contact MBUSA re: that. Warranty is four years and 50,000 miles if I remember correctly.
Assuming it is under warranty and you keep car, you might want to consider an MBUSA Extended Warranty before OEM warranty expires, which should cover the electrical, drive train, electronics, etc. for a few more years/miles.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
those preexisting issues should be covered under the warranty as they would not be affected by the flooding.

Curious to hear about the extent of the water damage to your car. Did your interior flood as well?
Old 07-04-2015, 03:05 PM

12 E-Class
Well powertrain warranty and bumper to bumper are always two different entities. This is what I am afraid of this may be passed it's bumper to bumper warranty a lot of cars have; MB may do it differently though. Anyone know of anyone who had their wood trim replaced passed their 30,xxx mark? I will search around be I'm limited to only mobile phone Internet.

As far as the damage, they said the water went into my exhaust and was sucked in though the intake. There was a lot of movement and water flowing in a short amount of time. No damage to the interior, thank God! I didn't want to risk getting out and letting the water in.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
faded wood is covered under 4y/50k factory warranty. there are many posts on here of factory warranty covering that. you should be fine.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E550
Originally Posted by Munich77
I would try to get them to total the car. As others have said there is probably a lot more damage to the car then just the flooded engine.
I agree - you never know what else may be wrong due to the water issues that will come up. I live in Houston and recently we had some major water issues. I know 3 people that had their cars submerged while parked in their driveways and all were totaled.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:58 AM

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 C300
The car should be completely totaled out by the insurance company. A flooded car with a replacement engine is now effectively worth zilch, zero, nada. The value lost on the car is extremely high not to mention as others have said the amount of electrical issues that WILL happen in the future, long past your warranty end, will have you looking to offload the car asap.

For future events, get to higher ground even if you see others fording through heavily flooded streets.