Steering noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes e250 amg sport.
Steering noise

Hi

Been having a problem with my steering. A few weeks a go when I was going from lock to lock the car would make an extremely loud rattle/squeak. I seem to think to something to do with the steering pump. On occasions on start up the car makes a slight squeak and continue whist I am setting off. This happens more often compared to the noise that happens a few weeks a go.

Im trying to upload a video as which make it clearer but I don't know how too.

Can anyone help or have any ideas to what it could be?

Thanks

Sam
Old 08-27-2016, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Normally you hear an increased noise level when the wheel is turned to lock. That's normal but if it is now squeaking or much louder than normal it could be the belt slipping or a sign of low or bad PS fluid or even a pump issue. However, since you mention a squeak sound upon startup while setting off I would suspect the belt first. Check the belt for sings of wear or looseness. Are you experiencing heavier steering during normal turning?

You can attach video files using the paper clip icon under the go advanced option for posting although there is a 5mb size limit I think. Most seem to post the video to youtube and then link that. The video may help others chime in.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes e250 amg sport.
Originally Posted by thefisch
Normally you hear an increased noise level when the wheel is turned to lock. That's normal but if it is now squeaking or much louder than normal it could be the belt slipping or a sign of low or bad PS fluid or even a pump issue. However, since you mention a squeak sound upon startup while setting off I would suspect the belt first. Check the belt for sings of wear or looseness. Are you experiencing heavier steering during normal turning?

You can attach video files using the paper clip icon under the go advanced option for posting although there is a 5mb size limit I think. Most seem to post the video to youtube and then link that. The video may help others chime in.

Thanks for your response. A belt linking to the steering. I'm trying to upload it from my phone? The steering doesn't seem to be affected when driving just the noise is an issue

thanks
Old 08-27-2016, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
I mean the drive (serpentine) belt on the front of the engine, not the steering itself. That belt runs the power steering pump. I would inspect that belt along with the the pump pulley and PS fluid.

From your phone, it's probably easier to upload to youtube and then hyperlink the video from there to a post here.