GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

I compared the Lexus LX570 to the GL class.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
I compared the Lexus LX570 to the GL class.

Even if they were the same price, I'd consider the GL to be a superior vehicle. But they are NOT the same price! Lexus is setting the base price $10,000 higher than the GL, and you're hard pressed to get out the door for less than $80,000. To get a rear entertainment system on the LX, I would be spending north of $90,000. That is ridiculous.

I really like the GL320 CDI. Any idea how flexible the dealers might be on price?
Old 01-21-2008, 01:59 PM

2007 GL 320 CDI, 2008 M5
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
Even if they were the same price, I'd consider the GL to be a superior vehicle. But they are NOT the same price! Lexus is setting the base price $10,000 higher than the GL, and you're hard pressed to get out the door for less than $80,000. To get a rear entertainment system on the LX, I would be spending north of $90,000. That is ridiculous.

I really like the GL320 CDI. Any idea how flexible the dealers might be on price?

There are two ways to look at price. The first is to understand that the GL 320 is priced $2500 less than the Gl 450 from the outset. This is for a vehicle that is a little slower but offers all the amenities of the 450 but has at least 40% better fuel economy. So from the outset the 320 is cheaper than the 450. That said, as far as I have seen the 450 seems to be discounted more than the 320. It is not uncommon to see posts on this board talking about buying 450s at a little above invoice. I have not seen anyone talk about pricing for the 320 at close to invoice, but I have seen several talk about pricing that is a few thousand off MSRP. I paid $2000 off sticker but then bought the extended warranty, wheel and tire protection (which I have already used), and unlimited dent and ding removal (which I have used three times now).

To sum up, you can expect to get more off the sticker on a 450 than on a 320. I'd guess that they are pretty much going out the door for about the same price.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by oinick
There are two ways to look at price. The first is to understand that the GL 320 is priced $2500 less than the Gl 450 from the outset. This is for a vehicle that is a little slower but offers all the amenities of the 450 but has at least 40% better fuel economy. So from the outset the 320 is cheaper than the 450. That said, as far as I have seen the 450 seems to be discounted more than the 320. It is not uncommon to see posts on this board talking about buying 450s at a little above invoice. I have not seen anyone talk about pricing for the 320 at close to invoice, but I have seen several talk about pricing that is a few thousand off MSRP. I paid $2000 off sticker but then bought the extended warranty, wheel and tire protection (which I have already used), and unlimited dent and ding removal (which I have used three times now).

To sum up, you can expect to get more off the sticker on a 450 than on a 320. I'd guess that they are pretty much going out the door for about the same price.
Thanks. I think diesel may have a better resale value, which will become evident as we get more diesels on the road (over the next few years). Even at full sticker, it's a solid value compared to the Lexus.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:51 PM
Almost a Member!

2008 GL450
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring

Not sure how Fifth Ring compared the vehicles and the pricing. Take a look at the engine and all the options and you find it only closely comparable to the GL 550. And still the LX has more options than the GL. If you looked at pricing of the GL 550 when it first came out...then you could compare costs. Bottom line, i think the cost are the same (if not the LX is a better deal).

That said, I still choose to own my GL 450.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:22 PM

'08 GL 320CDI
The options you get will have a bearing on your deal, I'm sure, as well as the time of year or month it is. I have an '08 GL320, and got about $3,500 off list. I also got a third party extended warranty (from my dealer) as well as the tire/wheel coverage and the dent coverage, all at a negotiated price of about $3,100. The ext. warr. coverage is for 7 yrs/70,000 mi. w/$100 deductible. The tire/wheel/dent coverage is for 5 years, no deductible.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by SteveY
Not sure how Fifth Ring compared the vehicles and the pricing. Take a look at the engine and all the options and you find it only closely comparable to the GL 550. And still the LX has more options than the GL. If you looked at pricing of the GL 550 when it first came out...then you could compare costs. Bottom line, i think the cost are the same (if not the LX is a better deal).

That said, I still choose to own my GL 450.
All I know is that I cannot get an LX with a rear entertainment system for less than $87,000, and I can get a GL320 or GL450 for about $67,000. Is the LX 570 more comparable a GL 550? Not in acceleration. The LX 570 is closer to the GL 450.

Moreover, the GL 450/320 meets my needs for a premium SUV, and Lexus doesn't offer a lower line. I just don't see where the $20,000 goes when you compare the two cars.

The doodads that Lexus adds to the LX just don't register on my value-meter.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
I really like the new LX, but it doesn't have HIDs at all as an option. I'm still trying to figure out why. It seems like a Toyota/Lexus because all of their big SUVs don't have HIDs as an option.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:51 PM
Almost a Member!

Ford Expedition
LX 470/GX 470 HIDs

When I asked the same question, I was told that the Toyota/Lexus engineers wouldn't install HID headlamps in their SUVs because they deemed that the location of the headlights on the SUVs is too high off the ground and thus the HIDs would be too bothersome to other drivers.

Last edited by Quicks; 01-21-2008 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Originally Posted by Quicks
When I asked the same question, I was told that the Toyota/Lexus engineers wouldn't install HID headlamps in their SUVs because they deemed that the location of the headlights on the SUVs is too high off the ground and thus the HIDs would be too bothersome to other drivers.
That's what I heard too. Still a weak reason, IMHO.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by AsianML
That's what I heard too. Still a weak reason, IMHO.

Have you even had a Escalade come behind you at time, and xray your eyes?
I think this was the reason, however it is being solved which dimming side and rear-view mirrors.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Originally Posted by mickeyyeety
Have you even had a Escalade come behind you at time, and xray your eyes?
I think this was the reason, however it is being solved which dimming side and rear-view mirrors.
Yes I have...I'm in Michigan where there's quite a few lifted trucks with retrofitted HIDs and **** poor headlight aiming...
Old 01-21-2008, 04:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'16 S550, '03 & '15 GMC Sierra 1500, '17 C300
Originally Posted by JDT1
I have an '08 GL320, and got about $3,500 off list. I also got a third party extended warranty (from my dealer) as well as the tire/wheel coverage and the dent coverage, all at a negotiated price of about $3,100. The ext. warr. coverage is for 7 yrs/70,000 mi. w/$100 deductible. The tire/wheel/dent coverage is for 5 years, no deductible.
JDT1,

Who underwrites the extended warranty? Tire/wheel/dent?
Old 01-21-2008, 05:55 PM

GL550
I love my GL. Mostly.

Some of the warm and fuzzy is wearing off though....and for more money, the Lexus might be a better choice. I've had no issues with Toyota products I've owned in the past.

In 4600 mi on the GL I have the power mirror issue...not a big deal.

But I also have water leaking into the truck that the dealer can't seem to fix and this morning one of my rear door handles broke. Yup. Went to open the door and crack--pop the door handle is broken. Can't get the door open.

Sigh.

Should I decide to keep the truck more than the manuf warranty, I will definitely buy an extended plan. First one ever. Never needed one before!

Realistically though, I will probably sell before then and return to a more reliable brand.

Oh: forgot to mention as I did in a previous post the day we pulled up to a stop sign in the boonies and the car just died. We were able to restart it, but you think I'm not nervous about it? Of course I am!

Last edited by Chicky Monkey; 01-21-2008 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by Chicky Monkey
Some of the warm and fuzzy is wearing off though....and for more money, the Lexus might be a better choice. I've had no issues with Toyota products I've owned in the past.
Lisa,

I've been a Toyota fan from the first day my parents bought two Cressidas (one sedan and one wagon). Through their Camrys, my own Supra (1988), my wife's two pickups (one 2WD, on SR5 V6 4x4 with a factory lift and a nerf bar and running boards and ...), a Previa van (called it "the egg-mobile" - it was white), my Land Cruiser, her SC400, my LS400, my LX450, her RX330 and lastly my LX470, I have had a long affair with the Toyota lineup. Quality has gone nowhere but up, until last year when some dips started happening. I do miss that certain comfort knowing everything was engineered by **** Japanese folks who honestly take pride in it working right the first time, every time.

But they've let me down on a single front; diesel. They've decided that gas hybrid, with its complex systems and heavy lead-acid battery that is guaranteed to wear out, is somehow more efficient than current diesel technology on America's long, straight, wide roads. More efficient than, say, an even smaller turbo-diesel hybrid which would probably, given diesel's efficiency, boost mileage into the stratosphere. So while the tug towards Toyota remains, German efficiency keeps me driving what is a really great truck.

That said, I've had the following issues;

Sirius dropout
Unbalanced wheels causing a shimmy that made me switch service dealerships
Random audio system static that stays until re-start
Turbo intercooler hose blowoff (twice)
Lift gate close failure
And now, crankshaft sensor failure impending

It's a brand new friggin' car, and yes I have 21000+ miles on it but it's a brand friggin' new car. Where's that German efficiency? Where's that German engineering? They're coming out of a period of serious production quality problems, and it looks like we have to ride that wave. Yes, every new model has its teething problems but this is Mercedes Benz, yes?

Right, well, thank you for allowing me to vent. Very nice considering we've never even met face-to-face. I probably won't be having the time for another long-winded rant like this until my next day off (which is reportedly this coming weekend). So I hope you had a good long weekend!

STP
Old 01-21-2008, 06:53 PM

2002 BMW 330i, and GL 450
Over $80K for the LX570 and no flat folding 3rd row seats??? Shame on Toyota.

The 3rd row seat folding flat is what sold me on the GL, the feature is too damm cool.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:11 PM

GL 320 CDI
I was able to get 6% off MSPR initially (without much effort) and then negotiated down to 8% off. I live in the Midwest. Good Luck!
Old 01-21-2008, 08:18 PM

GL550
Originally Posted by StevethePilot

Right, well, thank you for allowing me to vent. Very nice considering we've never even met face-to-face. I probably won't be having the time for another long-winded rant like this until my next day off (which is reportedly this coming weekend). So I hope you had a good long weekend!

STP

You are welcome!!
Old 01-21-2008, 08:44 PM

'08 GL 320CDI
Originally Posted by cablvr
JDT1,

Who underwrites the extended warranty? Tire/wheel/dent?
The extended warranty is through CNA National Warranty Corp..
The tire/wheel warranty (a/k/a) protection plan, is underwritten by Safe-Guard Products Int'l., Inc. out of Atlanta, Ga., and the dent coverage is through HALO Automotive Products (Cedar Park, Texas), adminstered by National Dealer Alliance GP, LLC. out of Irving, Texas.

Everything was set up through the dealership. The extended warranty is honored at any dealership in the U.S.. I believe for the other two protection plans, my dealer must honor it, although I need to double check that.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:51 PM

2008 GL320CDI
Here in Canada, the GL-Class comes much better equipped than you get in the US, for some reason. Much of what you have to buy as a package or options (BlueTooth, trailer hitch, roof rack, Harman Kardon sound, Sirius, power steering wheel adjustments, memory seats, sunroof, power rear jib windows, hands-free, heated wheel and seats, auto-dimming and folding mirrors, etc.) are all standard equipment here. My yet-to-be-delivered GL320 was almost $80K Canadian (with our Premium Package and Xenon), and a similarly-equipped LX is 30K more. It burns substantially more fuel, and has a funky and disjointed option package. I don't get it. It tows 1000 lbs less, has fewer creature comforts, and no-more-than adequate safety features.

Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Lisa,

I've been a Toyota fan from the first day my parents bought two Cressidas (one sedan and one wagon). Through their Camrys, my own Supra (1988), my wife's two pickups (one 2WD, on SR5 V6 4x4 with a factory lift and a nerf bar and running boards and ...), a Previa van (called it "the egg-mobile" - it was white), my Land Cruiser, her SC400, my LS400, my LX450, her RX330 and lastly my LX470, I have had a long affair with the Toyota lineup. Quality has gone nowhere but up, until last year when some dips started happening. I do miss that certain comfort knowing everything was engineered by **** Japanese folks who honestly take pride in it working right the first time, every time.

But they've let me down on a single front; diesel. They've decided that gas hybrid, with its complex systems and heavy lead-acid battery that is guaranteed to wear out, is somehow more efficient than current diesel technology on America's long, straight, wide roads. More efficient than, say, an even smaller turbo-diesel hybrid which would probably, given diesel's efficiency, boost mileage into the stratosphere. So while the tug towards Toyota remains, German efficiency keeps me driving what is a really great truck.
I'm with you. I've had a similar trail of Toyota vehicles, right back to my '81 BJ42 (Diesel Land Cruiser), and if Toyota marketed a full-size LC or 4-door Tundra today in my country, Mercedes would have an extra 320CDI in their inventory.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:53 PM

'08 GL 320CDI
Originally Posted by ubrs

The 3rd row seat folding flat is what sold me on the GL, the feature is too damm cool.
Amen, ubrs. I had to have a totally flat cargo area as well. However, I too am somewhat nervous about the reliability issue, especially when hearing about so many problems from others on this site. I've already had one minor issue of my own. I expect a few more gray hairs over time, as long as I have this vehicle, especially when it's time to sell.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:30 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
19 E 450 wagon + 13 GL 550
I just can not get over how ugly the Lexus is! In my opinion of course - The dash looks so cheap to me, all that plastic and that e - brake in the middle console is so cheap looking and for $80k no way! that car is a Seqouia with leather and wood for an extra $40k. The GL is so much more refined and cleaner in the interior. I never liked the Lexus interiors - I also do not see the draw- I think most Lexus buyers are sold on the Marketing of the brand (which they do a great job of) other than the hype they are over priced Toyota's I know the reliablitily is great but for the money you really do not get 20k more car than the GL 450. plastic push - out knob for seat warmers for a 80k SUV - NO WAY! I think they are going to have a hard time selling that SUV in this market - What are they going to do for the $60k - $70k buyer? the 470 that thing is a dog. Anyway just wanted to rant about the Lexus!

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2008, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by ubrs

Bingo, ubrs. My sentiments exactly. And, IMNSHO, MB hits that sweet spot between sportier handling (like BMW) and luxurious handling (like LX).
Old 01-22-2008, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by KOPIER
The GL is so much more refined and cleaner in the interior.
I couldn't agree more. When we were shopping, GL's refined interior design (dash, controls, etc.) were so much more appealing then others.

I think they are going to have a hard time selling that SUV in this market
I agree that LX is a bit late to this market.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
I just can not get over how ugly the Lexus is! In my opinion of course - The dash looks so cheap to me, all that plastic and that e - brake in the middle console is so cheap looking and for $80k no way! that car is a Seqouia with leather and wood for an extra $40k. The GL is so much more refined and cleaner in the interior. I never liked the Lexus interiors - I also do not see the draw- I think most Lexus buyers are sold on the Marketing of the brand (which they do a great job of) other than the hype they are over priced Toyota's I know the reliablitily is great but for the money you really do not get 20k more car than the GL 450. plastic push - out knob for seat warmers for a 80k SUV - NO WAY! I think they are going to have a hard time selling that SUV in this market - What are they going to do for the $60k - $70k buyer? the 470 that thing is a dog. Anyway just wanted to rant about the Lexus!

Thanks!
Unfortunately (for the frugal) the LX is not based on the Sequoia. Toyota/Lexus has three big SUVs, the Sequoia, which is Tundra-based and a relatively good value (but ugly as hell), the LX and Land Cruiser. The LX and Land Cruiser are very similar, and the Land Cruiser is a better value, but still VERY expensive.

I have concerns about the MB reliability and long-term cost of ownership (once the warranty is expired). I'll buy an extension to take me at least 6 years out. I own two German cars (Audi and MB) and I realize that they do not have the Japanese appliance-like reliability. But having an extra car (and a dealer with a great loaner program) I don't mind having warranty work done. I also enjoy doing basic tinkering myself.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:34 PM

2008 F-250, 2007 GL450
Originally Posted by oknish
Bingo, ubrs. My sentiments exactly. And, IMNSHO, MB hits that sweet spot between sportier handling (like BMW) and luxurious handling (like LX).
Exactly. The LX may now have power but I doubt it can handle nearly as well as a GL.

Saturday night reminded me of how right I was to get the GL. I was driving on a twisting rural road with the added weight of three good size (and well lubricated) friends at obscene speeds. It handled well and confidently as no other SUV of this size can. I can’t see the LX being that much fun. If I can’t have some fun I might as well get a Suburban and save $20k. I certainly don’t care about impressing the Jones’s.

Then at 5am, as I usually do at these folks’ house in order to avoid the 8 year old waking me up at 7, I crawled onto a comfortable twin air mattress in the totally flat back of my GL and got a great night’s (morning’s?) sleep. Few even larger SUV’s can do that.

The LX is a fine vehicle. Just not for me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I compared the Lexus LX570 to the GL class.