GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Cracked the front windshield - Bummer!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 09:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 Land Cruiser, 2007 GL450 [SOLD], 2007 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4x4 Limited, 2009 Corolla LE
Cracked the front windshield - Bummer!!

My wife was driving on her way to home from work. She heard the rock hit the windshield but did not see the crack immediately. When she got home, I inspected it and saw a big crack about 4"-6" long. I wonder if insurance will waive the deductible.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by atwal
My wife was driving on her way to home from work. She heard the rock hit the windshield but did not see the crack immediately. When she got home, I inspected it and saw a big crack about 4"-6" long. I wonder if insurance will waive the deductible.
Ouch..........
Why would they wave the deductible? That's usually the first thing they hit you with......
Old 02-15-2008, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 GL63 & 2008 S550
Last month, I was two cars behind one of the millions of landscaping trucks you find on the freeways out here in Southern California. This guy forgot to secure his trailer's tailgate, and began to spill implements all over the freeway at 75MPH. The car in front of me took the brunt of it, but unable to swerve unless I wanted to hit the car next to me, I ran over the head of a shovel, which kicked up from under the tire and nicked the driver's door and sidestep.

I got the body work done about week ago by FJ in Newport, and they did a nice job, but they received the incorrect sidestep, and it took a couple of weeks to get it straightened out. Apparently, there's two flavors of sidestep on these 550s, Chrome and Brushed, and MB has had some trouble differentiating the right PN for each.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:23 PM

2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel
Originally Posted by CommanderCody
Last month, I was two cars behind one of the millions of landscaping trucks you find on the freeways out here in Southern California. This guy forgot to secure his trailer's tailgate, and began to spill implements all over the freeway at 75MPH. The car in front of me took the brunt of it, but unable to swerve unless I wanted to hit the car next to me, I ran over the head of a shovel, which kicked up from under the tire and nicked the driver's door and sidestep.

I got the body work done about week ago by FJ in Newport, and they did a nice job, but they received the incorrect sidestep, and it took a couple of weeks to get it straightened out. Apparently, there's two flavors of sidestep on these 550s, Chrome and Brushed, and MB has had some trouble differentiating the right PN for each.
Seems to be a recurring theme. I received damage to the lower rear bumber cover. I ordered the part. 1st time the wrong part came in. 2nd time, the right part came in but was damaged. They kept the truck over night, and re-ordered parts x 3, with over night shipping, in hopes that 1 would arrive undamaged. Seems pretty inefficient and wastefule to me, but at least the dealership realizes their (MB's) weaknesses and tries to compensate for it.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:14 AM

2014 GL 450
Originally Posted by atwal
We're with AAA insurance and they no longer waive the deductible on windshield repairs. We've had the windshield in our '05 Civic repaired 4 times. It now has a large crack in it that can't be repaired so it will have to be replaced.

I have 3 significant rock chips in the windshield of the GL and had them fixed so they won't crack (hopefully!).
Old 02-16-2008, 12:34 AM
Almost a Member!

2008 GL450
There are some windhsield repair shops that will waive (or credit) your deductible amount so you have no out-of-pocket expense. Best to shop around.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by SteveY
There are some windhsield repair shops that will waive (or credit) your deductible amount so you have no out-of-pocket expense. Best to shop around.
I've heard of shops like that. Be careful that A) they're using OEM glass, B) they're not charging so much (to cover the deductable loss) that you won't be reimbursed (not a problem for "no out of cost" shops that get preapproval and bill the insurance directly), and C) they're reputable for installations. As seen elsewhere on this forum, water can wreak havoc on the electrical systems!

STP
Old 02-16-2008, 01:37 AM
fmr

GL320
about a year ago had two windshileds cracked within months of each other as a result of rocks thrown up by other cars and insurance waived the deductible on both. Got the estimate from the dealer, insurance company approved over the phone and once repair done submitted bill and they paid the full amount.

Best of luck with your situation.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:09 AM

2012 C350 4matic
Be sure to get your dealer to re-adapt the Rainsense wipers after putting in the new windshield. My dealer didn't do this because they were in a rush and I noticed that the wipers were wiping about a second too late compared to before!
Old 02-20-2008, 07:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Consider this......Now that I'm in the 6th decade of life and have my car insurance with AARP my premium for my 07 GL450 and 06 Prius is $966 a year. That's with a 1k deductible on collision and NO deductible on comprehensive which covers things like windshields, vandalism, storm damage, etc. Over the years I have had more damage in the "comprehensive" category than anything else and the 0 deductible has really paid off. Anything else.....then I pick up the first 1k.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:28 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
I've heard of shops like that. Be careful that A) they're using OEM glass, B) they're not charging so much (to cover the deductable loss) that you won't be reimbursed (not a problem for "no out of cost" shops that get preapproval and bill the insurance directly), and C) they're reputable for installations. As seen elsewhere on this forum, water can wreak havoc on the electrical systems!

STP
Steve, your point A is usually the case...they use some aftermarket glass-that happened to both my dad and my father-in-law...my dad was able to get his remedied but it DID end up costing the deductible. Be wary of non-OEM on a vehicle like the GL!!!
Old 02-20-2008, 01:21 PM

06 CLS500
I replaced my OEM windshield from MB. $966 installed. I have $100 deductible for such things.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by carpersn
Steve, your point A is usually the case...they use some aftermarket glass-that happened to both my dad and my father-in-law...my dad was able to get his remedied but it DID end up costing the deductible. Be wary of non-OEM on a vehicle like the GL!!!

Absolutley.........
Old 02-20-2008, 08:30 PM

2007 GL450
My wifes GL320 which was just 3 months old started on crack spontaneously under the passenger side windshield wiper. It came up from the blacked out part and ran up and onto the clear glass for about 5 inches.

Dealer said it was an installation pressure/stress problem and they replaced it no charge.

I was paranoid about them not doing things right, but they did a good job. He told me that they order the MB original parts windshield that gets delivered to the dealership. Then the windshield repair place sends two guys to the dealership to replace the windshield there because the car has to sit for a while for the sealant to cure. Should not be driven during that time.

The new windshield had the EXACT same numeric coding as the original because I checkd and documented everything. The only difference was the new windshield has a small holographic sticker on it indicating that is an orginal MB part.

I did not know to ask about re-adapting the Rainsense wipers. I guess they did that at the dealer, but I never directly asked.

I hope your dealer does thing the same way.
Attached Thumbnails Cracked the front windshield - Bummer!!-new-wins.jpg  
Old 02-21-2008, 02:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 GL 350 blue tec
Check with your insurance company. Many policies have 100% glass coverage (no deductible). I know ours does.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:47 PM

2008 Ml350
Only use a original windshield

I am in the windshield replacement business. Please insist on a original windshield. Gordongl450 did the right thing. We buy our windshields for MB Audi and BMW right from the dealer, we make less then using any other part, but the end result is worth it.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by gordongl450
The only difference was the new windshield has a small holographic sticker on it indicating that is an orginal MB part.
Cool! You think you could get the part number on that holographic sticker ...

Old 02-22-2008, 09:57 AM

2007 GL450
Steve,

I will take a better close up picture and post it.

Gordon
Old 02-22-2008, 01:44 PM
JAM

SL600
Infrared Glass

Go OEM, especially If you have the package with the infrared glass...
Old 02-23-2008, 08:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 Land Cruiser, 2007 GL450 [SOLD], 2007 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4x4 Limited, 2009 Corolla LE
Windshield replacement estimate

I called AAA yesterday, they gave an estimate of 634$ if replace thru their network shop. Also, dealers would charge me around 675$. I choose to go with dealership and then file for reimburesment. FYI- They did not waive the deductible (250$).

Windshield is order by the dealership, they'll call me sometime next week to schedule an appointment to replace it.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:17 PM

350 GL Bluetec
Originally Posted by gordongl450
My wifes GL320 which was just 3 months old started on crack spontaneously under the passenger side windshield wiper. It came up from the blacked out part and ran up and onto the clear glass for about 5 inches.

Dealer said it was an installation pressure/stress problem and they replaced it no charge.

I was paranoid about them not doing things right, but they did a good job. He told me that they order the MB original parts windshield that gets delivered to the dealership. Then the windshield repair place sends two guys to the dealership to replace the windshield there because the car has to sit for a while for the sealant to cure. Should not be driven during that time.

The new windshield had the EXACT same numeric coding as the original because I checkd and documented everything. The only difference was the new windshield has a small holographic sticker on it indicating that is an orginal MB part.

I did not know to ask about re-adapting the Rainsense wipers. I guess they did that at the dealer, but I never directly asked.

I hope your dealer does thing the same way.
I just had the same thing happen on my 2014 GL Bluetec, exact same spot coming up from RH wiper blade, a crack about 5 inches straight up, then crack turned to go across windshield to left. Took it to a glass shop, and the technician said there is no stone chip, and the crack starts below the black molding under RH wiper blade. He said to take it for Warranty at a Mecedes Benz dealer. So I did and the guy at dealership couldn't make the decision for warranty and wants me to wait for a "National Warranty" decision maker to inspect the crack which he estimates is two months away. I had cracked drilled to prevent spreading, however in our cold climate, when it dipped down to -30 C, the crack spread across while I am waiting for MB to make the call. There are probably others than just us two, however most people would just go to insurance, however it is the principle here that MB has to admit either the instalation process puts to much pressure in that spot or there is a defect with glass or a combination. Its good to hear you had a good dealer who could make the call, not so fortunate up here in Canada. Its as if we don't matter, and they will get back to us in time? To top it off the guy that couldn't make the decision said there is a 99% chance it won't be warrantied? Not impressed with this kind of treatment.