GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Recall for rear auto liftgate... dead battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Went in for service B today for the GL. Got the tailgate checked out. Here what they did:
1. Loaded new software update to tailgate.
2. Installed liftgate ground cable to battery
3. realigned tailgate
4. Reprogrammed and learned functions

Also got the trailer hitch recall done
Old 01-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Almost a Member!

08 GL 450 Black/Black
Originally Posted by Wolfgang
These two dealer technical bulletins may pertain to this issue, suggesting that a software update to the rear fuse box (called SAM by Mercedes service folks ) may fix the battery drain.

Jan 06, 2009 T-B-54.21/198e Revision: Remedy 1 Revised
Model 164.122/172/177/186/822/871/886, Model 251.122/156/165, Model Year 2008
Battery Discharging - Increased Rest Current in the Rear SAM / CAN Bus Awake Mode Software in Steering column Module (SCM)
"Cause 1 (Vehicles equipped with Automatic Rear End Door (SA code 890) or Keyless-Go (SA code 889): Rest current being too high (>150mA but less then 3Amps) resulting from the rear SAM staying awake due to incorrect rest current logic. This situation may occur if the tailgate button on the key is pressed to open while vehicle is locked. Once the tailgate is closed again, the rear SAM remains awake before the tailgate lock switch and the spare wheel carrier switch close. If the spare wheel carrier is not installed (SA code 849), the SAM remains awake and drains the battery. The CAN bus however, is not awake in this case."

AND

Nov 21, 2008 2008110009 Service Campaign: Models 164, 164.8, 251, Model Year 2008
Update Rear SAM Software
"Daimler AG has determined that opening and closing of the tailgate with the key remote, while the vehicle is locked, may cause the battery to drain due to incorrect Rear SAM rest current logic. To correct this condition, Dealers will update the Rear SAM software at the next workshop visit."
Seems to make some sense. We'll see if that holds up. I had the software update done yesterday. They were reporting a draw of 4 Amps! Now it's down to a purported 15 milliAmps. I guess now it'll take that much longer to drain the battery!

What's this about the trailer hitch fix?
Old 01-15-2009, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 950 Likes on 571 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
There was a recall on the trailer hitch to have additional welding done so that it potentially couldn't seperate from the frame. If you tow, make sure that your GL isn't one of those affected by the recall.

Bish
Old 03-18-2009, 09:34 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 Black SLK 55 AMG, Black 2015 GL 550, 2011 Blue GLK 350
Just a quick update: no more dead battery since the fix at the end of 08. The hatch closes strong in cold weather also. Once all the alignment was done and latch adjustments, no more problems. If you are having the hatch problem, make sure the dealer fixes it. It can be done.
Happy motoring.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL450 (Alabaster White/Black Interior)
Had mine done a few weeks ago as well. The fix actually fixed it this time. Hopefully it will remain that way......
Old 04-04-2009, 11:04 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
The hatch problem happens when the liftgate closes but does not latch entirely (e.g. if you push on the liftgate it feels ajar) and that causes the lacth solenoid to stay on waiting for the liftgate to close which it never does.

The end result is a deader-than-doornails battery. It usually happens when its cold because the motor has a harder time pulling the gate closed in the cold but can happen any time depending on how your gate strike it aligned.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:09 PM

Charger, Saab & Aston
My friend's wife has a 2009 GL 450 and it's been dead/jumped 3 times in the 6 months they own it. He called me Saturday to say it happened again and it was at the dealer and they had a loaner. It hadn't happened to my wife's GL 550 at all in 6 months, but it was dead this moring. Talk about a strange coincidence! My wife called MB roadside and then they had someone come from the dealer close by where we service it to jump it. They told her just drive it for awhile and all should be good. I seriously doubt it. It seems like there are battery draining issues even in 2009's. Any thought?
Old 01-24-2010, 09:26 AM

GL450
Recalls

Hi guys, haven't been on in a while and have been reading about the GL's catching on Fire --- very scary! Has MB addressed this at all???

Also, I was curious if there was a thread that posted all the recalls on the 2008 GL450's? I too am having problems with the liftgate, and frequently use my trailer hitch - and had no clue that their was a recall on that! I just had my service done Friday - and no mention of either! And, of course, they couldn't duplicate the problem with the rear liftgate not latching.

Thanks for all of your help!
Old 01-24-2010, 12:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
Originally Posted by Devil Red
My friend's wife has a 2009 GL 450 and it's been dead/jumped 3 times in the 6 months they own it. He called me Saturday to say it happened again and it was at the dealer and they had a loaner. It hadn't happened to my wife's GL 550 at all in 6 months, but it was dead this moring. Talk about a strange coincidence! My wife called MB roadside and then they had someone come from the dealer close by where we service it to jump it. They told her just drive it for awhile and all should be good. I seriously doubt it. It seems like there are battery draining issues even in 2009's. Any thought?

My 09 GL320 had a battery drain issue that occurred once when it was parked in my garage overnight. The dealership diagnosed it as a bad relay. They said they pulled a relay off another new car on their lot and installed it. That was 7000 miles ago and no problems since.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by KristenGood
Hi guys, haven't been on in a while and have been reading about the GL's catching on Fire --- very scary! Has MB addressed this at all???

Also, I was curious if there was a thread that posted all the recalls on the 2008 GL450's? I too am having problems with the liftgate, and frequently use my trailer hitch - and had no clue that their was a recall on that! I just had my service done Friday - and no mention of either! And, of course, they couldn't duplicate the problem with the rear liftgate not latching.

Thanks for all of your help!
Our 320CDI battery was flat last week during the really cold weather. I charged the battery overnight and it started right up the next day. I then cycled the rear hatch four or five times. At least twice you could not hear the final 'whirring' noise made when the latch is completely locked down. It is this failure to completely close that causes the battery drain. I contacted my SA, had the car in quickly and the SAM software update was performed along with an adjustment of the rear hatch closing mechanism. Works perfectly now. There is a TSB on this that every dealership should be aware of as it's not too uncommon.
Bish
Old 01-24-2010, 03:54 PM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
S, GL
Interim fix / peace of mind

I had the same drain problem on our 07 (I think 3 jumps if my memory serves me right), but after the recall fix was applied, I have not had the issue repeat.

There is one thing I learned, though, that can save many of you until you get it fixed. Every time you automatically close the liftgate, let it do its thing and when it thinks its done, manually pull on the liftgate latch yourself - you'll find that when it didn't seat properly, your pulling on the gate reactivates the closing process and the liftgate proceeds to seal properly. I figured this out after our 3rd jump and subsequently caught a few more times it didn't seat properly thus saving me some more tows to the dealership. Good luck.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
had the TSB performed by the dealer. No problems since.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:19 PM

GL450
Battery/Fire issue, and what is a TSB????

Okay guys, lost on the lingo here! Sorry, but what is a TSB? Should my dealer have know about this issue? What do I need to tell them. Is the cargo lift related to the battery issue since it draws from the battery??

More importantly, the battery issue. I now want to replace my battery..I have precious cargo in my car - my two girls who are 8 and 6. Do I have MB do it?? Or do I go elsewhere??? What do I get, and can MB to pay for it??? I am more concerned for my children and there safety versus the cost of the battery, but if this is a known issue aren't they responsible??? Ugh, bought a safe car - now I am terrified to put my kids in it. I will be driving my husbands Suburban until I get it fixed. Paranoid? Maybe. But is it worth the risk to not replace the battery - I don't think so.

I really appreciate everyones help!
Old 01-25-2010, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by KristenGood
Okay guys, lost on the lingo here! Sorry, but what is a TSB? Should my dealer have know about this issue? What do I need to tell them. Is the cargo lift related to the battery issue since it draws from the battery??

More importantly, the battery issue. I now want to replace my battery..I have precious cargo in my car - my two girls who are 8 and 6. Do I have MB do it?? Or do I go elsewhere??? What do I get, and can MB to pay for it??? I am more concerned for my children and there safety versus the cost of the battery, but if this is a known issue aren't they responsible??? Ugh, bought a safe car - now I am terrified to put my kids in it. I will be driving my husbands Suburban until I get it fixed. Paranoid? Maybe. But is it worth the risk to not replace the battery - I don't think so.

I really appreciate everyones help!
Your battery will be fine, and the GL is one of the safest vehicles on the road.
TSB means 'technical service bulletin'.
You simply need to have your service advisor find the TSB on the rear hatch issue/battery drain and perform the work ordered by the TSB. This involves adjusting the rear hatch AND downloading new software.
Your hatch will then be fixed and the battery will not discharge over time.
Bish
Old 01-26-2010, 04:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 GL550
I never had any issues with mine but apparently they reset something when I took it in for Service A 10,000 mile checkup last week because after leaving the dealership my rear gate would no longer open via my key fob, the button on the liftgate itself, nor the button on the drivers side door.

had to take the vehicle back in and wait four hours for them to fix it. Apparently they didnt enter some code in correctly or something - so if you have it checked, make sure it's working BEFORE YOU LEAVE!
Old 01-30-2010, 02:05 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 Black SLK 55 AMG, Black 2015 GL 550, 2011 Blue GLK 350
Well a little update from my original post. Did fine, pretty much since the rear lift gate fix but at times the battery would seem weak and it would crank slowly expecially if the weather was really cold. Went to winterize my 22' center console boat and while there left the windows and rear hatch up to listen to a basketball game on the radio. Was there for maybe 15-20 minutes and noticed the radio shut off. The key was in the ignition but in the off position. I thought maybe it just timed out and shut itself off. Well the battery went dead and I needed a jump to get home. Took to the dealer and told them what happened. After the jump, the rear hatch wouldn't work at all. Had to shut it manually. Well a trip to the dealership and a week and a half later finally they found a very small drain in the overhead console. They reset the rear hatch and it worked fine. I strongly requested a new battery as the original had been drained 4 times and only deep cycle batterys are made to do that. I realize the CDI has an AGM battery but I didn't want to be caught with a dead battery again in the middle of the winter. They reluctantly agreed and replaced it. I have not had any more issues but it has been only about a month since the last fix. This will be the last time. IF it happens again, MB USA will hear from me.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:54 AM

07 GL320 CDI
ours had the liftgate close switch replaced at 6500mi and the striker plate adjust at 17K
Old 03-14-2011, 07:49 PM

GL450
My liftgate has started doing something similar. While I'm driving down the street, about a block after I leave the house. When I thought it was closed before I left, but then I hear a motor pull it down a bit further and then a click.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:20 PM

Very fast
Anyone know if this affects 2007s? My wife's GL450's liftgate won't latch, not sure if this is the same problem, but we never got a recall notice.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:02 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
not latching is a different problem. usually alignment is off.

but yes- 07s are prone to overcurrent of the rear sam and need to be reflashed with newer code.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:25 AM

Very fast
The motor will still turn, if the alignment is off, right?
Old 12-06-2014, 03:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 mercedes e350
07 GL450 Rear Auto Hatch

I know this is an old thread, but just recently experienced my hatch not opening via the d-door, key fob or back handle. It did open manually, but was frustrated when I called dealer and was told I need a new motor for the rear hatch. After reading some threads that night, I called back and advised the dealer that since I was just there three days ago to have my battery replaced because it was completely depleted, did they recode everything including back hatch. Manager said he is not familiar with a code for that but I can bring it in and have it rechecked. Surprisingly enough, he came to me and said I was right and had it recoded and after an hour I was on my way. The reason I wanted to reopen this topic was because I know there are M owners out there that get told by the dealer "this is the issue" without doing their research and it could be something as simple as a recoding. Not bashing the techs, but with the advancement of technology, all techs should be up to date and know these things to keep M owners not just happy but wanting to stay with the brand. Loving my 07 GL and my 11 E350.