GL Starting Lag or Hesitation!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 07:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SLS AMG, GL550, CLS63
GL Starting Lag or Hesitation!!!!!

Hi All,

I owned a 2008 GL450 and upgraded to a 2010 GL550 hoping to get rid of this awful hesitation when starting to accelerate. This is driving me crazy, my dealer test drives it and says he doesn't notice it. Sure, it's only noticeable to the driver and you can anticipate it and make it seem to drive normal. However, it's AWFUL, it's there and they just won't admit it. They act like I'm crazy, but this is my second one and it really stinks. Is anyone else noticing a lag on start with your GL? We need to rally together and get this GL lag resolved.
The following users liked this post:
funkypost (02-21-2020)
Old 11-22-2010, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL550
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Mark
Hi All,

I owned a 2008 GL450 and upgraded to a 2010 GL550 hoping to get rid of this awful hesitation when starting to accelerate. This is driving me crazy, my dealer test drives it and says he doesn't notice it. Sure, it's only noticeable to the driver and you can anticipate it and make it seem to drive normal. However, it's AWFUL, it's there and they just won't admit it. They act like I'm crazy, but this is my second one and it really stinks. Is anyone else noticing a lag on start with your GL? We need to rally together and get this GL lag resolved.
It is starting in 2nd gear. The solution is to manually shift into 1st or floor it from a dead stop to launch in 1st gear.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:38 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
mark, do you expect 8-individual-throttle-body-equipped motor response? remember you are in a 5500+ lb vehicle. i know exactly what you are talking about and ... it is normal. it is not the motor, btw. the tq converter in the 7g in the gl is loose as the truck is heavy vehicle and tq engagement is delayed when starting from a dig to allow the engine to spin a bit before you take off. this creates a feel of "hesitation"... if you want a more "positive" engagement throttle more aggressively and the tranny will adapt to firmer 1 (or 2nd) gear engagement from a dig.

it is the nature of the beast.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 185 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Remember the Toyota acceleration problem?

Your car won't go with your foot on the brake--this is electronically controlled.

We left-foot brakers can have problems with this.

Hey, it's a suggestion.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Dude. Seriously. Try the 320. If you're unfamiliar with driving its turbo, don't ever do a left turn through heavy traffic. You see the hole, put your foot down, read a novel, get married and go on your honeymoon, bake two cakes, raise a goat, and then it's GO! (At that point, between the turbo and a diesel's natural low-end torque, you might snap your head off of your neck, but at first you'll go way fast.)
mefferso (03-14-2016)
Old 11-22-2010, 10:30 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 Black SLK 55 AMG, Black 2015 GL 550, 2011 Blue GLK 350
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Dude. Seriously. Try the 320. If you're unfamiliar with driving its turbo, don't ever do a left turn through heavy traffic. You see the hole, put your foot down, read a novel, get married and go on your honeymoon, bake two cakes, raise a goat, and then it's GO! (At that point, between the turbo and a diesel's natural low-end torque, you might snap your head off of your neck, but at first you'll go way fast.)
Damn Steve! I just laughed out loud. Funny but true. You do learn how to deal with the lag though in the diesel.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:45 AM

W211, X164
You Need to try Sprint Booster or Velocity

I have Velocity Install on my GL550 and it made a huge difference.

I only turn that thing on when I am driving along! that is without my wife and the kids!

Velocity will turn you GL into a WILD BEAST
Old 11-23-2010, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011

Love it!!!
Old 11-24-2010, 11:55 PM

SLS AMG, GL550, CLS63
mbx164, I looked up Sprint Booster, this explains exactly the problem I'm having. Hard to believe I paid $80k plus for a SUV and now have to spend $350 to fix it. However, if it works, It will be money well spent. My Chevy Avalanche is bigger with less horsepower and doesn't have this problem. I hope this works, thanks for the tip.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 615 Likes on 522 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Mark
mbx164, I looked up Sprint Booster, this explains exactly the problem I'm having. Hard to believe I paid $80k plus for a SUV and now have to spend $350 to fix it. However, if it works, It will be money well spent. My Chevy Avalanche is bigger with less horsepower and doesn't have this problem. I hope this works, thanks for the tip.
Sounds to be that this sprint booster thingy is a piggyback ECU that sharpens up throttle response and most likely will void any warranty since it hasn't been tested by MB.
The way ahead here is a mass complaint to MB USA to make them fix the throttle programming. Throwing shady aftermarket parts at the car may lead to a maintenance nightmare down the road.

As for throttle lag, diesel drivers just plan ahead.
Steve - Classic.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:12 PM

W211, X164
I have never remove my "Velocity" when bringing car in fo service. yes its is to change the sensitivity of your drive by wire system

the difference with sprint booster and velocity is that I think sprint booster are not able to be turned off! but velocity does

There are on / off button on it and also 4 sensitivity setting on it

Since I always had it turn off for service I never had a problem with dealer even notice velocity being connected

I also had infinity subwofer install with the controller up front they have never question me about that too.

I think as long as it is turn off it is undetactable for velocity. Not sure if anyone else try it but with the power of my gl I can only set the setting at 1 or 2. If turn up to 3 or 4 the car is too sensitive to be driveable. As least that is how I feel!
Old 11-26-2010, 12:22 PM

2011 QX56 (formerly '11 GL350)
Cracked me up!! So true! I think about this everytime I'm doing a left turn into oncoming traffic..I literally make a conscious decision to allow for the lag, in terms of how soon I should turn!

Last edited by TamZ; 11-26-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:29 AM

2010 GL350
Here was a reply for my similar problem by Danno4x4, it worked for me. Please report back:

For your problem with lack of pickup...

Try this "sneaky" ECU drive by wire throttle reset.

If you have keyless go, you will need to remove the button and use the actual key.

Put the key in and turn the ignition on to accessory, floor accelerator for 5 sec then turn ignition off while pedal still depressed... wait at least two minutes before restarting.

The throttle in newer Mercedes vehicles is a drive by wire and it will adapt to how it is driven. Drive like a grandma, and it will adapt to that over time and try to replicate that style.

This procedure resets the throttle to the default setting. There are quite a few examples on this forum where folks have "reawakened the beast" by using this procedure.

Be sure to report back on your results.
J5gl450 (03-09-2020)
Old 05-20-2011, 03:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
14'G63 AMG ,1994 Mercedes E500, 2020 Range Rover HST
What is Velocity where did you buy it. Is it installed like sprintbooster by the gas pedal?
Thanx

QUOTE=mbx164;4365799]You Need to try Sprint Booster or Velocity

I have Velocity Install on my GL550 and it made a huge difference.

I only turn that thing on when I am driving along! that is without my wife and the kids!

Velocity will turn you GL into a WILD BEAST[/QUOTE]
Old 08-15-2013, 08:06 PM

2013 GL 550
Hi, not sure how long ago you posted this or if your problem was resolved but we have a new 2013 GL 550 and the hesitation is horrible. Worst is at freeway speeds when you need to make a quick pass, hit the accelerator and wait it out that extra 1/4 to 1/2 second. On paper that does not sound like much but on the road it is totally unsafe. Dealer playing the "it's normal" game so far. I am being fed the line that the 7 speed trany is trying to figure out which gear to use. This happens nearly at any speed once you get off the gas or coast. We also have a 2013 ML 350, same crap.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK63 AMG Black, SL65 AMG Black, GL550 (X166), G63 AMG
Originally Posted by BobGrau
"... we have a new 2013 GL 550 and the hesitation is horrible. ... On paper that does not sound like much but on the road it is totally unsafe. Dealer playing the "it's normal" game so far. I am being fed the line that the 7 speed trany is trying to figure out which gear to use. This happens nearly at any speed once you get off the gas or coast. We also have a 2013 ML 350, same crap.
I also have a 2013 GL550 and this hesitation is brutal. Like you, I believe it is quite unsafe. I've reverted to using left foot braking when necessary so I can keep the gas pedal down, but that's far from ideal. All that power and you can't access it when you need it the most. Crazy,....
Old 09-30-2015, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,089 Likes on 876 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Get a sprint booster. It should get rid of the lag feeling. Also, with your 2013, since it's a bi turbo, you can get an ECU tune that will.really wake up the engine.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:59 AM

Mercedes Benz CLS63 AMG
I have a CLS, even the AMG 63 version, and this is how MB programs all their cars, as far as I can figure out. I'm thinking of a used GL550 right now, and this is about the only issue that will prevent me from buying one. I agree, this is quite a bother, and again I agree it is at least bordering on being unsafe. Dealers say it is normal, I have that same experience as well. I know they hear this complaint all the time, and continue to say they never have any complaints.

I wonder how many of these cars have been in accidents where this issue is a contributing factor. Perhaps more then any of us know, knowing the car industry. I believe that with this programmed throttle delay, people must be getting it slightly wrong in terms of anticipating how to drive it at least sometimes, and then having accidents. Most likely at intersections where the car is stopped and must be re-accelerated, especially left-turning into traffic, at yellow lights, etc. I can speak from experience that this has taken quite an adjustment in driving style, I have to be WAY more conservative driving it or I would certainly be getting into trouble. Thing is, it is not just any given individual, there are 'other drivers' out there who like to teach people a lesson with their 5500 pound metal/rubber/plastic conveyance, and rather then just driving defensively, they speed up to close gaps. Put that together with this throttle delay, and bang certainly can be the result!

I wonder if any of the regulators would care about this issue? What if they were flooded with 'near miss' complaints?

A few thoughts from me... I love the cars, but this isn't the right way to program cars. Back to the carb days, mechanical linkages, the things went when you told them to. Of course being used that that, this programming is very problematic.

I'm happy to hear everybody's input, maybe if we all stay vocal, they might just do something about it.

Thanks all!

Aiden
Old 12-30-2015, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 594 Likes on 500 Posts
2007 GL450
I installed a Sprint Booster for my 07 GL450. I like it. I don't go for the "sport" position, but the middle position makes the throttle feel like it should.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:42 PM

Mercedes Benz CLS63 AMG
Pedal Box.

This is what I recently installed in my '11 GL550. What a difference! The delay is gone completely, or at least to the point where you don't notice it. It does cost a little, like somebody said, after buying the truck now we gotta buy something else to make it run correctly, but at least it works! I'm now very happy with it.

Once you figure out what settings you like, the rest aren't needed, but at least they are there so people can customize it. Also, this one can be turned off completely if you want as well, very convenient.

I recommend it, (I wish MB would just do it properly in the beginning,)

Aiden
Old 12-31-2015, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by AidenFC
Pedal Box.

This is what I recently installed in my '11 GL550. What a difference! The delay is gone completely,...
Aiden
I'm going to try this on my 2013 GL550. Glad to hear the lag is gone,... it's the only thing about the GL that I don't like. The lag is particularly noticeable coming off-throttle into a corner and then getting on the gas,... the lag is eternity so I adjust by accelerating much sooner,... but it's very frustrating to drive with such a disconnect between the throttle and the motor's response.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:31 PM

I installed the Pedalbox and have been driving with it in various settings for a couple months. It does not solve the throttle lag,... but it certainly does make the throttle more responsive once it gets moving.
Very disappointed that the throttle lag persists. As much as I love the GL550, I'll be exploring other brands when it's time to replace it. This lag is frustrating every time I drive the GL. Neither of my Black Series cars have this lag.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:36 AM

GL 450
I have an 11 GL 450, with the same lag. Very disappointing to read this has not been fixed. I agree with a previous post this is dangerous, any delay when accelerating is an eternity, especially when you are pulling out into traffic!! I really enjoy my SUV but will not buy another one!