Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 10:54 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 320 Likes on 267 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by alx
Biodiesel is ok, but has its caveats.

If this all you have put in your truck or you are using it fairly often you are ok. However, if used rarely it will be dangerous especially for higher mileage vehicles.

The problem is that biodiesel is a decent detergent and if your fuel system has sludge it will get stripped and accumulate in the fuel filter and possibly in the high pressure pump and injectors. Depending on the phase of the moon this might result in limited rpms due to clogged fuel filter (best case) to clogged injectors and pump (worst case)

Info from where?

My theory (so far so good, as tested in my GL from 96K to 120K miles) is to fill up out of state with non-bio as often as practical, and to fill up with IL B-11/B20 when needed.
Trying to keep a fairly full tank when the last fill was B-11/B-20 and it will be sitting.

Vehicle sits for weeks at a time, but in the garage, not in the sun.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes 2012 s550 4 matic
Exclamation BIODIESEL ABOVE 5% WARRANTY VOIDED

Originally Posted by N_Jay
MB seems to be selling Diesels in IL again, and with a few cautions, I have heard all is OK.
As much as I hate the politics of "Bio-Fuels" my dealer (Fair size MB and Sprinter dealer) said he has not seen any problems on properly maintained diesels.
Change oil at the recommended time and miles.
Change fuel filter every other oil change.
Watch oil level for increases and change oil if noticed.
http://mercedes-benz.custhelp.com/ci...hure_Final.pdf
http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalA..._Brochure5.pdf
Now they tell me "Watch oil level for increases and change oil if noticed." Are they kidding? 71K for a car spend 1K at 30,000 miles" and change oi and filter if I "notice." I put 10,000 mikes on in 6 months My 2010 GL350 sludged at 37,300 miles 7,000 miles after oil & filter change. Dealer report at 30,000 mile service noted no sludging or increase in fluid volume. I never was told I was supposed to check for increases in volume or at what interval to check for it. What ever sludged mine it occurred between Dec 2011 dealer oil and filter change and in May 2012 when it went into limp mode. A diesel mechanic said he thought MB may have put regular petrol oil in by mistake. How do I prove- they had my car for 6 months and had changed the oil among other things trying to fix it so any evidence was removed. But anyway thanks for the update and I am disappointed they are now contradicting their owners warranty which still states no more than 5% bio in the petrol-diesel or repairs will be owner's responsibility. With 11% Bio in all IL diesel owning a clean diesel in IL is moot well at least for me and any lawyers that read the fine print(I think the legal term is arbitration) and understand when warranties are voided because of a major failure they do not want to repair you are on your own.