GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Water damage from bad seals - my problem or Mercedes'?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL420cdi 4matic
Water damage from bad seals - my problem or Mercedes'?

Hi guys, I was on here before about needing my rear SAM on a 2007 GL420 replaced which I eventually did at extortionate cost but it did fix all my electrical problems. They said it was water on the rear SAM which I figured happened when the vehicle was shipped (we've recently emigrated to Africa) but one heavy rainstorm later and it all started playing up again - fortunately not as bad a last time but I went straight to the rear SAM and saw water DRIPPING down the electrical wires directly into the SAM so I immediately disconnected the SAM before any more damage could be done as so far it's just my locking (boot mechanism) that seems to be faulty.

I traced the wiring up and although i could clearly see daylight through the rear light mountings it didn't look like that was the cause so investigated higher and it looks like the drainage channel below the roof rack normally drains off the back down the inside of the boot door but that seal doesn't sit anywhere near flush to the body so the water is just running straight in through the channel into the body of the car and down the wiring straight onto the SAM! Now given I've only just replaced one and given that it seems to be a design flaw (and with some quick research a fairly recurring problem with these models and Mercs in general) do I have any footing in taking it to the dealer and telling them to replace the SAM and sort out the seal or given that it's past it's warranty (3 years?) is it my problem to sort out AGAIN?

Any advice as always greatly appreciated!
Old 11-01-2012, 08:21 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
My best guess is that, unless you have an extended warranty that covers water leaks (or unless you are on unusually good terms with the dealer closest to you in Africa), out of warranty means just that. Check with a good body shop that works on high end cars (presuming one is available to you) to figure out what the best approach will be to fixing the leak and the cost of doing so. It may not be so expensive as to warrant fighting with the dealer/M-B.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL420cdi 4matic
Thanks for that - I'll ask around and see who can come up with a suitable seal. Seems a shame that such lovely expensive cars have these recurring problems when there are other cars on the road here 30 years older with less issues!