water leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W221 S320; GL320
water leak

First of all, hello to everyone!

I am new in this forum. Cause my mother langue is not english please do not hesitate about words that i use.

Reason why i am asking help is water. Today suddenly some problems came up with my GL. First two error message that both breake lights wont work. and same time tailgate do not close( i do not have automatic tailgate that moves). Both of breaking lights were ok. Also fuel level changed in many times

I started to find out problem. First i checked the fuse box, which is back of the car. When i opened this box i saw there water. Not much but, there were some drops and some cables were wet. So i understood that water caused those problems that came up. Later i nthe day problems solved by themselves, but there is still wet near the fuse box.

I think water is leaking somwhere, but where? maybe someone of us have had similar problems?
Old 12-30-2012, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
My R Class had a leak and there was water at the bottom of the spare tire well. Turns out the leak was coming in from the passenger side vent that is behind the bumper. I needed to replace the vent with a new one and my problem was solved. I understand that my car, form the previous owner, had some sort of rear end damage. It's possible that this vent got compromised during the minor collision and perhaps your car has a similar issue?

Otherwise I have heard of water coming in through the third brake light at the top of your tail gate.

For now you should take off the rubber plug at the bottom of your spare tire area so the water can continually drain until you find the root of the problem.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
x164
Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
My R Class had a leak and there was water at the bottom of the spare tire well. Turns out the leak was coming in from the passenger side vent that is behind the bumper. I needed to replace the vent with a new one and my problem was solved. I understand that my car, form the previous owner, had some sort of rear end damage. It's possible that this vent got compromised during the minor collision and perhaps your car has a similar issue?

Otherwise I have heard of water coming in through the third brake light at the top of your tail gate.

For now you should take off the rubber plug at the bottom of your spare tire area so the water can continually drain until you find the root of the problem.
where is the passenger side vent?
Old 12-01-2019, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 578 Likes on 487 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Originally Posted by Kait
First of all, hello to everyone!

I am new in this forum. Cause my mother langue is not english please do not hesitate about words that i use.

Reason why i am asking help is water. Today suddenly some problems came up with my GL. First two error message that both breake lights wont work. and same time tailgate do not close( i do not have automatic tailgate that moves). Both of breaking lights were ok. Also fuel level changed in many times

I started to find out problem. First i checked the fuse box, which is back of the car. When i opened this box i saw there water. Not much but, there were some drops and some cables were wet. So i understood that water caused those problems that came up. Later i nthe day problems solved by themselves, but there is still wet near the fuse box.

I think water is leaking somwhere, but where? maybe someone of us have had similar problems?
hi

its either coming in around the tail lights or around the seals on the panoramic third row sunroof.

check both points of entry and fix this ASAP - or you’ll have electrical issues for the remainder of this cars life, which may be very short.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:48 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2001 S500 (W220) / 2007 GL450 (X164)
i see water dripping on my sub in the pax side compartment but how is that from the pano roof or the tail light?
Old 12-10-2019, 03:04 PM

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
GL320
Originally Posted by Mikchek
i see water dripping on my sub in the pax side compartment but how is that from the pano roof or the tail light?
Pano roof. Take a look. I bet your see cracks. Its plastic and not glass.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 578 Likes on 487 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
it either a broken seal around d the right taillight or more likely; coming in from the third row sunroof.
you have to get eyes on and check.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:15 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2001 S500 (W220) / 2007 GL450 (X164)
Originally Posted by Max Blast
it either a broken seal around d the right taillight or more likely; coming in from the third row sunroof.
you have to get eyes on and check.
how can I put eyes on it? I mean from the top it just looks like part of the roof
Old 12-13-2019, 08:02 AM

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
GL320
how can I put eyes on it? I mean from the top it just looks like part of the roof
If its bad, you will see cracks along the sides by the roof rack rails. Water gets in through those cracks. Its made of plastic, and will eventually dry out and crack from sun exposure.