Ipod Integration Kit Installation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 03:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 GL450
Ipod Integration Kit Installation

Hi guys,
I am trying to install the Ipod Integration Kit part number 6-7-82-4558 that I purchased from my local dealer into my '07 GL450 but am having some issues. The vehicle is equiped with the factory CD Changer, the Harmon Kardon premium sound system, and an aftermarket Rosen rear entertainment system.
The kit installation is very straight forward but after installing it I don't get any sound from the head unit even if I select the radio or single disk CD and I lose the CD Changer and Rear Inputs. When I connected everything back the way it was without the new IPod Kit everything worked as it had before.
The parts guy at my dealer said this was a plug and play system and that I wouldn't lose any inputs.
Has anyone else installed this unit into their vehicle successfully or if the dealer installed it do you still have the option for CD Changer and Rear sound inputs?
Do I need to go into "Engineering Mode" and turn something on?
Thanks, George
Attached Thumbnails Ipod Integration Kit Installation-img_0781.jpg   Ipod Integration Kit Installation-img_0785.jpg  
Old 01-16-2013, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Hey,
I've got the iPod integration on my Command retrofitted to my factory rear seat entertainment by the dealer. I'm about to head out but I'll get back to you by the end of the day when I get back.

But basically, your tech is right, everything should be plug and play and you won't lose any functions with factory parts (but you've got an aftermarket rear entertainment so I'm not 100% sure if this will be the case).

If you don't mind me asking what dealer?
Also, how does the Rosen DVD hook up to your factory Command unit?
Old 01-16-2013, 08:09 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
10 speed bicycle
You need to take the MOST fiber optic cables out of the original connector and plug it into the iPod adapter harness.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
So I went back to my records and I do have the same part number as you: 6-7-82-4558. The dealer put mine in, but from the research I did it should be plug and play- no engineering mode required.

The instructions for mine were that you remove the Rear Seat Entertainment plug going into the Command and plug that into the iPod harness. You then plug the iPod harness into where the Rear Seat Entertainment was originally plugged in. Since your car has an aftermarket system, I'm not sure how that was plugged into your Command- but it might be similar.

This cable is essentially a splitter because there aren't enough inputs at the back of the Command for all of these features (CD changer, RSE, iPod)- so the cable takes an input from the RSE and the iPod and makes it fit into one connection.

What dealer did you buy this from? I had this installed at MB Seattle and my technician there did a great job putting it together. I didn't lose the input for the rear headphone jacks either. I think some wires had to be moved around to get those to work straight forward though.

Since you've got the car apart, you may consider buying this:
Amazon Amazon

I bought one of those and had my tech reroute the wire to the center armrest (where the bluetooth module is) instead of routing the wire to the glove compartment. This way you can have access to the iPod from the driver's seat.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:30 AM

2007 GL450
Originally Posted by MBtech1098
You need to take the MOST fiber optic cables out of the original connector and plug it into the iPod adapter harness.
MBtech1098,
Thank for the help! That is exactly what the problem was. When looking closer at the IPod kit it does not have a jumper for the fiber optic cables and it was simple enough to remove them from the original connector and plug them into the new harness.

The attached photos show the orange colored fiber cables with a purple strain relief. They are removed from the original and into the new connector.
Attached Thumbnails Ipod Integration Kit Installation-img_0796.jpg   Ipod Integration Kit Installation-img_0795.jpg  
Old 01-17-2013, 02:38 AM

2007 GL450
Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
So I went back to my records and I do have the same part number as you: 6-7-82-4558. The dealer put mine in, but from the research I did it should be plug and play- no engineering mode required.

The instructions for mine were that you remove the Rear Seat Entertainment plug going into the Command and plug that into the iPod harness. You then plug the iPod harness into where the Rear Seat Entertainment was originally plugged in. Since your car has an aftermarket system, I'm not sure how that was plugged into your Command- but it might be similar.

This cable is essentially a splitter because there aren't enough inputs at the back of the Command for all of these features (CD changer, RSE, iPod)- so the cable takes an input from the RSE and the iPod and makes it fit into one connection.

What dealer did you buy this from? I had this installed at MB Seattle and my technician there did a great job putting it together. I didn't lose the input for the rear headphone jacks either. I think some wires had to be moved around to get those to work straight forward though.

Since you've got the car apart, you may consider buying this: http://www.amazon.com/CableJive-dock...ords=cablejive

I bought one of those and had my tech reroute the wire to the center armrest (where the bluetooth module is) instead of routing the wire to the glove compartment. This way you can have access to the iPod from the driver's seat.
I picked it up at MB of Lynnwood. As promised it was plug and play and I still have access to all the same inputs as before.
Now that it is working I'll just try it out for a while with the Ipod in the glovebox. I don't imagine I need access to it other than to load more songs on it every now and again. If i decide to move it the Ipod kit actually has a long cable that would allow me to route it to the center armrest without needing the extension cable.

When I get around to installing my trailer brake controller where I will need to route wires from the rear SAM up to the front i may revisit the ipod location.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:11 AM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
10 speed bicycle
Originally Posted by gbigpapa
MBtech1098,
Thank for the help! That is exactly what the problem was. When looking closer at the IPod kit it does not have a jumper for the fiber optic cables and it was simple enough to remove them from the original connector and plug them into the new harness.

The attached photos show the orange colored fiber cables with a purple strain relief. They are removed from the original and into the new connector.
Anytime! That is a simple step that is commonly overlooked.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
Originally Posted by gbigpapa
Hi guys,
I am trying to install the Ipod Integration Kit part number 6-7-82-4558 that I purchased from my local dealer into my '07 GL450 but am having some issues. The vehicle is equiped with the factory CD Changer, the Harmon Kardon premium sound system, and an aftermarket Rosen rear entertainment system.
The kit installation is very straight forward but after installing it I don't get any sound from the head unit even if I select the radio or single disk CD and I lose the CD Changer and Rear Inputs. When I connected everything back the way it was without the new IPod Kit everything worked as it had before.
The parts guy at my dealer said this was a plug and play system and that I wouldn't lose any inputs.
Has anyone else installed this unit into their vehicle successfully or if the dealer installed it do you still have the option for CD Changer and Rear sound inputs?
Do I need to go into "Engineering Mode" and turn something on?
Thanks, George
I know this is a long shot, but do you have the manual for this kit in digital form that you can share with me? It's got a weird menu system and I need to get the manual.
Thanks in advance.