Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 R350 BlueTEC
Newbie ? on a MB purchase

we are in the market and planning on buying a MB
The choices we've narrowed down are between R350 or a GL450

About us:
Me & wife + one Kid & probably one more in the near future...

My friend has a R350, I drove his and I liked it,
I'm still not sure, should I go for the Van/wagon like look or a proper SUV look as a GL

My wife will be the one who will be driving the MB predominantly with M-F from home to office (10miles each way)
Should I go for a GL450 used around 2007 which I see all the time for around 23k-25k or should I go for a R350 2011 model that goes for around 30k-32k?

Also if I settle for GL450, is there a major difference between X164 VS X166?
I'm not really worried about how the new one looks, but wanted to know if there is a overall improvement in the engine in the newer ones compared to the previous ones..

If I end up settling for the X164 version between years 2007-2011, is there any specific year that I should stay away from due to any existing issues on them?

pls advise
Old 11-17-2014, 01:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GL550
You should consider a few things first before you jump in with booth feet and then regret your actions.

1) Have you ever owned a German high end vehicle? It's not your everyday run of the mill Japanese version. These vehicles are not bullet proof. Servicing them can be costly. Not all are a PITA. Consider getting service records or pulling a CARFAX to see if it been serviced or take it to an Indy for a through evaluation of any future repair needs.

2) Don't mix friends and car buying decisions ever. You'll soon part ways very fast should something happen. Been there done that got the t-shirt! People are not always honest and upfront when it comes to disclosing the good and bad of their vehicles. I find people are groupies and will say anything in order to get you to buy the same so they don't look as bad.

3) If the warranty has run out so has your luck! Buying an extended warranty after the fact could be prohibitive and very costly.

4) Financing these is also a factor. Again if the warranty has run out your money rate goes up. People have a tendency to get them fixed vs. making the payment.

5) Consider buying through a MB dealer to get a good warranty and better money rate. you may pay a bit more. Also the vehicle is gone over and repaired vs. buying from a private seller or another dealership where they do the bottom minimum to get the vehicle ready for resale.