GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

***Help with GL and Caravan towing information***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL500
***Help with GL and Caravan towing information***

Hi all, I am looking at purchasing our first "family" caravan and have found it a mind field out there. This is also our first caravan. The tow vehicle will be a 2008 Mercedes GL500 (GL550) with a towing capacity of 3405kg braked with a Max Braked 273kg (600 lbs) tow ball rating.

The van we are looking at purchasing has the following specs,
Length 23ft, ATM 2345kg (5170lbs), GTM 2073, Tare 1945, Towball weight 272kg (599 lbs) (the configuration of the van is what we have been looking for)

It puts me right on the limit.

I have some questions if someone can please assist/guide/inform to ensure the rig we end up with is safe and will meet our requirements.

With the towball weight of the van being so close to the capacity of the GL how safe is it and does anyone know if the towball weight of the van be changed to lower the weight? Will packing the van differently make a significant difference in lowering the ball weight of the van?

Will the airbag suspension on the GL be under "greater stress" with the towball weight of the van so close to the limit? Will a Hayman Reece weight distribution kit benefit?

Any help and information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.