Arrnot and other rear air springs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 08:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 316 Likes on 265 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
So here is the scoop.
The job is easy (as long as it is not so cold you can't feel your hands).
The hardest part is unscrewing the line from the MB (ATE) bag. There us very little room to move a wrench when on jack stands. Probably much easier on a lift.
The fitting is 10 MM and the line wants to keep twisting it back in after every 1/12 a turn. (1/2 turn with a open-ended wrench, flipping it to get a little on each turn.)
It is a little easier if you can detach the top on the bag and pull it towards you.
The old bag is a bit hard to get our since it is larger than most of the openings when you don't have the car on a lift. (Anti-sway bar keeps the wheel in the air from dropping as much as it would on a lift.)

The ne Arnott bag is slimmer and seems to be a slightly different style) then the original bag so it is easy to get into place.
They say not to disassemble the fitting and just push the line in. I did that the first time but (apparently) did not get it in far enough and when I hit eh raise button the line blew off.
So the second time I took the fitting off and put it on the line first, then on to the bag. I see why they don't want you taking it apart. The collet has to go on the right way, and it is very small (I dropped it and luckily found it without rolling my creeper across it.
Once I put the fitting onto the line about 1/4 inch back, I had no trouble getting a good seal on the bag.
The bag un-inflated is a bit shorter than the MB bag so it is loose in the suspension until it gets some air.
Next is the bad shock, but the par does not get here till next week, and I am traveling for 2 weeks (maybe three) so it will be a while.
At least the rear should not be going down when I park at the airport. (Such mundane service for my GL-CDI!)
Old 03-05-2015, 09:52 PM

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
2021 V167
Thanks

Originally Posted by Bimmer777
Looking forward to your feedback. Ordered pair of Arnott bags, will be swapping in couple of weeks.
Thanks for the update and summary. Most folks have said rear is not too bad. I have wondered if the Arnotts are as good (or better) than the thyssen Krupp OEMs on my 2011 model?
Old 03-06-2015, 07:32 AM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
2010 GL550, 2013 C63
Thanks for the tips Neil. Hopefully i can get mine done in two weeks.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:14 AM
Out Of Control!!

It is interesting, that OEM (ATE) rolls over a cone on the bottom whereas the Arnott (Continental) seems to compress internally.
I was expecting them to be more alike. than they are.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 mercedes c350
My guy that owns the lift was snowed in, so I guess I have to wait another day or two to do the Install.

What I've been doing it when ever I get out the truck I life the suspension to its highest position. I don't like doing this but it's better than having the *** of the truck sitting on the ground when I come out the store. Wanting to get this bag on asap , not wanting to burn up the compressor
Old 03-06-2015, 12:05 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by N_Jay
It is interesting, that OEM (ATE) rolls over a cone on the bottom whereas the Arnott (Continental) seems to compress internally.
I was expecting them to be more alike. than they are.
"i told you so"

anyway

depending on if your truck has seen salt - you might be in for a treat with the front shock... and namely the lower bolt of the shock where it attaches to the lower control arm
Old 03-06-2015, 12:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by alx
"i told you so"

anyway

depending on if your truck has seen salt - you might be in for a treat with the front shock... and namely the lower bolt of the shock where it attaches to the lower control arm

Mt fronts are fine (for now).
Replaced under warranty by the previous owner.

AND (as for the "I told you so) the instructions that came with the bag DID NOT say anything about needing to do both sides.

The no-name ones looked like the Arnott (Continental) but I also found some "Bilstein" parts listed but more expensive. Wonder if those are like the OEM.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:24 PM

2008 mercedes c350
Originally Posted by memphis c350
I've order (1) arnott bag for my left rear and plan on doing the install myself.
My question is. Should I replace both or just wait until the other starts to leak.
As the writer stated above I love the ride. Whem working a double I generally have to roll down the window to keep from falling asleep (with a ride this smooth). The dealer suggested I chamge both out at the same time. But with the install being so simple and arnott having an ample supply I didn't see the need to purchase 2.

Finally caught my mechanic with a free lift. Originally I tried to do the install in the driveway…nope couldn't get my arms in there enough. So my mechanic calls me this morning and said his lift was free fore to use. Rushed over and had the old one out and the new one in before he could get off the phone ordering parts for another customer. As I lowered the GL i said a little prayer, obviously prayer works. Lowered the GL, cranked the car and heard a loud pop. I started to panic but my mechanic laughed and said it was supposed to do that. That's the suspension settling into its seat. I let the GL run for 2 minutes then the compressor turned off. Smiling I ease behind the drivers seat and set the suspension to normal (comfort) the GL lowers like it did when 1st purchased.
Took a spin around the e-way and she's back to being perfect.
Noticed that the aronott seemed to be a smaller bag , but does its job well.
Loving the ride again.
Now just have to diagnose these pesky Command system issues.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:05 PM

2010 GL550, 2013 C63
I am doing this job next Wednesday. Along with oil change and other small items. Now I just need to find a place that sells 229.51 oil for this car. So annoying.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:45 PM

'11 GL350, '03 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T
Airmatic Malfunction message on dashboard

Do you guys get that message on the dashboard with deflated bags? Did it go away after the replacement? Just wondering if only the MBA dealer can clear that error. TIA.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:53 PM

2008 mercedes c350
Originally Posted by mb_rpl
Do you guys get that message on the dashboard with deflated bags? Did it go away after the replacement? Just wondering if only the MBA dealer can clear that error. TIA.

Never received an error message. My fear was burning the air compressor out due to the frequent use and it trying to keep a leaking airbag inflated. You should be fine as long as the air suspension is the only issue.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:28 PM

'11 GL350, '03 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T
Never received an error message. My fear was burning the air compressor out due to the frequent use and it trying to keep a leaking airbag inflated. You should be fine as long as the air suspension is the only issue.
How long have you been driving it with leaky bag? And how do I verify if it is really a leaky front bag for mine? If I park the truck at night set to normal height I find the front suspension all the way down in the morning. So this plus the hissing sound makes me suspect a leak. However, if I leave it at raised level it stays raised when I return.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:35 PM

2008 mercedes c350
Originally Posted by mb_rpl
How long have you been driving it with leaky bag? And how do I verify if it is really a leaky front bag for mine? If I park the truck at night set to normal height I find the front suspension all the way down in the morning. So this plus the hissing sound makes me suspect a leak. However, if I leave it at raised level it stays raised when I return.
That's gonna be the airbags. I was having the same issue out of the right rear.
I could hear the hissing when parked. If it wasn't raised to it's highest settings the butt end would be on the ground when I came out the store. Yep been there done that.

Oh I drove mine like this for about 2-3 months. Wayyyy to long for a luxury vehicle like this.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:13 AM
Out Of Control!!

No error, replaced after about 5 drives from first noticed problem.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL350 2011
I had the joy of one of these rear springs "exploding" about 30 minutes ago.

Here I am, sitting on my PC doing my taxes, and suddenly I hear something that sounds like a firecracker in the garage.

Yup. Car is "listing".

Air spring "burst". Pic attached. Looks ugly.

So; the Arnott replacement looks very simple. The question is, replace just the burst one, or replace both sides?

Anyone have any comments/suggestions? It looks like the Arnott springs are available on ebay (for a pair) @ $320. I can get a single spring locally for $200.

Is the ride different? Am I going to get an uneven ride height if I don't replace both?

On the flipside, I have a slight inclination to replace both; 'cause if the one burst just sitting in my garage, I can only imagine the pain I will go through if the other bursts driving down the highway @ 70mph.

EDIT: Also, any tips? It sounds like the air fitting is hard to get off. Any special tools recommended?
Attached Thumbnails Arrnot and other rear air springs-img_20150322_230100.jpg  

Last edited by samiran; 03-23-2015 at 12:28 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:27 AM

GL350 2011
Originally Posted by Bimmer777
I am doing this job next Wednesday. Along with oil change and other small items. Now I just need to find a place that sells 229.51 oil for this car. So annoying.
Just to be an extra PITA; they changed it. It's not 229.51 anymore. 229.52 supersedes 229.51, and the car is no longer approved for 229.51 oil.

Does this make sense to me? No. But, its true.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:44 AM

2008 mercedes c350
Originally Posted by samiran
I had the joy of one of these rear springs "exploding" about 30 minutes ago.

Here I am, sitting on my PC doing my taxes, and suddenly I hear something that sounds like a firecracker in the garage.

Yup. Car is "listing".

Air spring "burst". Pic attached. Looks ugly.

So; the Arnott replacement looks very simple. The question is, replace just the burst one, or replace both sides?

Anyone have any comments/suggestions? It looks like the Arnott springs are available on ebay (for a pair) @ $320. I can get a single spring locally for $200.

Is the ride different? Am I going to get an uneven ride height if I don't replace both?

On the flipside, I have a slight inclination to replace both; 'cause if the one burst just sitting in my garage, I can only imagine the pain I will go through if the other bursts driving down the highway @ 70mph.

EDIT: Also, any tips? It sounds like the air fitting is hard to get off. Any special tools recommended?
I never had one to burst but I did replace one side. My mechanic suggested that both be changed. But with my budget minded a$$ I only changed the left rear. He was explaining that the system is a closed loop type of system and the aronott is slightly smaller and doesn't take as much are to fill. So to my SUPRISE the right side is now lower and you can notice the slight difference when driving and or parked. He's just a shade tree mechanic but most of the times he's right.
Oh and he lets me use his lift when the shop is not full. Using the lift is a whole lot easier then the driveway and a floor jack. It can be done but it's a whole lot easier with the life.
The 2nd aronott bag is scheduled to be delivered today.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:24 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by samiran
Just to be an extra PITA; they changed it. It's not 229.51 anymore. 229.52 supersedes 229.51, and the car is no longer approved for 229.51 oil.

Does this make sense to me? No. But, its true.

How do I tell if an engine is "Bin 5"?

Diesel engines (642) Bin 5 Model 164.125/ .825; Model 251.125 only use 229.52 or “Mercedes-Benz Motorenöl MB 229.51 BlueTec.”
Old 03-23-2015, 09:27 AM
Out Of Control!!

I never had one to burst but I did replace one side. My mechanic suggested that both be changed. But with my budget minded a$$ I only changed the left rear. He was explaining that the system is a closed loop type of system and the aronott is slightly smaller and doesn't take as much are to fill. So to my SUPRISE the right side is now lower and you can notice the slight difference when driving and or parked. He's just a shade tree mechanic but most of the times he's right.
Oh and he lets me use his lift when the shop is not full. Using the lift is a whole lot easier then the driveway and a floor jack. It can be done but it's a whole lot easier with the life.
The 2nd aronott bag is scheduled to be delivered today.

Funny thing is, my left bag is the Arnott and the left side seems a bit taller (Not enough to notice when driving, just when your put your hand between the wheel and the fender.)

I am not doing anything about it till I get the leaking shock replaced, then might do the second airbag if it is noticeable.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:11 AM

GL350 2011
How do I tell if an engine is "Bin 5"?
Pretty sure it is all bluetecs.

I'm having problems pasting links on my phone, but Google BEVO sheet 223.2

Bin5 engines are the 50 state legal SCR/AdBlue engines.

Even more interesting, the recommended oil is now 0W-30, not 5W-40 (there is no 5W-40 229.52 oil). If you have a questionable oil cooler seal, this will probably make it worse
Old 03-23-2015, 01:29 PM

2010 GL550, 2013 C63
Just saw this. Well, I was able to source last 10 quarts of Mobil 1 ESP 5W40 229.51 from my local NAPA over the weekend and that's what is going into my truck on Wednesday. It worked for it for last 7 years, it will work for another 10k miles.

Also, it looks like its the BlueTecs that require new 229.52 oil, while the CDIs can use either. Will do more research for next oil change.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:57 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Funny thing is, my left bag is the Arnott and the left side seems a bit taller (Not enough to notice when driving, just when your put your hand between the wheel and the fender.)

I am not doing anything about it till I get the leaking shock replaced, then might do the second airbag if it is noticeable.
you should listen to me next time

they are different by design and execution and react differently to the same pressure provided by the compressor. so... do replace them in pairs to obtain equal ride side-to-side as well as ride height. trust me. i have seen this many times.

on oil- the new mb-specific oil for the om642 motors is mb-branded mobil1 5w30 esp which replaces the mobil one 5w40 esp which is not manufactured anymore
Old 03-23-2015, 03:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by alx
you should listen to me next time

they are different by design and execution and react differently to the same pressure provided by the compressor. so... do replace them in pairs to obtain equal ride side-to-side as well as ride height. trust me. i have seen this many times.

on oil- the new mb-specific oil for the om642 motors is mb-branded mobil1 5w30 esp which replaces the mobil one 5w40 esp which is not manufactured anymore

On the airbag. I am following the Arnott instructions.
Since it is closed loop system with a level sensor at each corner, there is no reason it should not come back to the same level. (It should be regulating on level not pressure.) (Ever take a class on feedback control systems?)
That said, I know I hit the sensor a few time getting the old bag out and the new one in, so when I do the shock, I will see if I moved or bent anything.

I have not changed the shock yet because it has been below freezing and I don't want to risk cracking any of the interior panels or clips I have to remove.

As for the oil, I have a CDI, but will watch for worse seepage. Have 5K miles left on my seals and gaskets warranty.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:46 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

It is not that simple. The height sensors are queried very often but usually level adjustment is carried when the readings are constant for a period of time. Notice how when waiting at a traffic light the truck adjusts/ calibrates? The rest of the time the system is farely static and is assumed that same pressure on both sides equals same height. If it is not the truck carries adjustment / calibration when possible. The result is that the arnott spring generally is brought to the same level as the oem one, but then drifts away/ higher until next opportunity.

There is a lot going on, but generally the stiffer arnotts will sit higher and be brought down every now and then.

Last edited by alx; 03-23-2015 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by alx
It is not that simple. The height sensors are queried very often but usually level adjustment is carried when the readings are constant for a period of time. Notice how when waiting at a traffic light the truck adjusts/ calibrates? The rest of the time the system is farely static and is assumed that same pressure on both sides equals same height. If it is not the truck carries adjustment / calibration when possible. The result is that the arnott spring generally is brought to the same level as the oem one, but then drifts away/ higher until next opportunity.

There is a lot going on, but generally the stiffer arnotts will sit higher and be brought down every now and then.

That does not make much sense.
I can understand building hysteresis into the system and only adjusting upon certain events (Opening and closing doors, starting the engine, and maybe on some other events and/or time/distance parameters, but the drifting up and over time seems improbable.

Also, seems you blame both a lower side and a higher side on the shorter airbag assembly.

My guess is; 1) the bad shock, 2) I measured wrong, 3) I bumped the sensor, 4) It was always like that. . . . . 99) It is the airbag.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Arrnot and other rear air springs