GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Cold weather start?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 11:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB 2007 Gl 320 cdi
Cold weather start?

So far, my research does not discover 'cold weather' starting hints for my 2007 GL CDI diesel. ?? No block heater factory installed, and no MB parts available, at least not in Fort Worth?? I am headed to a colder climate in Feb. and am looking for some hints. Thanks in advance for any comments.

Fishnut1
Old 12-06-2016, 12:10 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
there is no factory offered block heater because the om642 does not need one.

have a good battery. that is all that is needed for very cold starts.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:33 PM

MB 2007 Gl 320 cdi
Thank you very much, for your quick reply. The 2007 GL 320 cdi is my first used diesel MB, and I am used to my old ford F250 having a block heater as a factory option. As I understand you the om624 (??) is an improvement on the older technology.

Relieved Fishnut1
Old 12-07-2016, 09:41 AM
a2j

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2008 GL320CDI (265k) & 2017 GLS450 (120k)
Originally Posted by alx
there is no factory offered block heater because the om642 does not need one.

have a good battery. that is all that is needed for very cold starts.
+1

Never had an issue with a cold starts. I was able to start it in -15-25F (below zero) range many times. As long as you fill up with winterized diesel fuel. Just make sure you fill up when you get to the colder climate area, and not before.
Anybody who is trying to scare people with stories about not being able to start in cold obviously never owned OM642.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:28 AM
a2j

Because of my recent experience, I would like to remind OP about filling up with winterized blend fuel. If not sure, you can always add anti-gel to the fuel. I filled up (Monday) assuming it was blended, because it is December and cold temps outside. Got to our destination and vehicle was sitting outside (hotel) for 24 hours. Temps dropped close to 0F. It took 6-7 tries before it fired up. Not a pleasant feeling as battery was getting weaker with every try.
The following users liked this post:
Fishnut1 (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 05:40 PM

MB 2007 Gl 320 cdi
Thanks to all who responded on the cold weather starting. This is my first GL 230 CDI so being that I am new to the V diesel's motors, I am not up on all the letter/number designations yet. please school me when you have some time... and type slowly, as I don't read too fast..

One other small problem, and I hope someone has a quick fix for this. The small storage tray, in the center console, above the ash tray, keeps popping out, and scaring the hell out of me. It happens each time I hit a bump in the road, and it whacks my coffee cup, spilling some on occasion. ?? I just cannot bring myself to jury-rig it, and I have not found any threads on fixing it?

Thanks to all and a Merry Christmas from Fort Worth Texas.
Baja
Old 12-15-2016, 10:12 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

The plastic mechanism inside (quite fragile) is broken. Very common. Just wedge something so it doesn't open and call it a day
Old 12-15-2016, 10:22 PM

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
2021 V167
The ash tray deal happened to my 2011. I think the tray was 85 bucks, uses your same piece of wood on the front.

I guess it is common?
Old 12-16-2016, 10:45 AM

MB 2007 Gl 320 cdi
Thanks ALX and Krusty, both replies are what I expected, but had hoped that MB had not succumbed to the plastic trend, so common in Yugo quality vehicles. My delusions are now altered, and my expectations lowered. Sad to think that MB engineers, and accountants, have stooped to lower standards, well below my expectations. Just another car, with a proud heritage, and a shiny veneer, with sub standard endurance throughout. I am a retired nuclear physicist, and the world is lucky, that most power plants are built to Old School MB standards. Maybe I expect too much from the 'Entitled' generation, to make something as durable as a 1968 Ford F250 4x4 ...
710,000 miles, running fine.. 300 IL Six
Old 12-16-2016, 11:53 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yup. The ashtray in that ford can be used as a weapon if needed. The cars of yesteryears were built alright... modern bean counters would prolly all spontaneously self combust if you float the idea of a world without planned obsolescence... or at least one longer than the factory warranty.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 GL320, 08 Jeep GC CRD, 13 VW Passat TDI
I too recently purchased an 08 GL320 and was a bit concerned that it did not have a block heater. However after looking into it and with the help of the forum I found out that my Canadian market GL does have a block heater factory installed but the actual cord that plugs into the power outlet does not come pre-installed and I needed to order it from the dealership. I just put in the order yesterday ($120cdn ) and will pick it up tonight to install over the weekend. It has been close to 0F for the last few days here and my truck started right up every morning so I don't think the block heater is as important as I thought although I know it will make it easier on my engine on cold days and will make my wife happier to have heat sooner. I will let you know how big of a difference it makes once I install the cord. If you only occasionally encounter cold climate I don't think it is something that's needed. Taking care of what kind of diesel you put in and making sure you have anti gel treatment is vital though.
Fishnut1 (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 12:29 PM

MB 2007 Gl 320 cdi
A sad state of affairs amigo. Nothing is safe from "Bean Counter" control any more. The disposable generation wins. I guess that those of us with weapons, are lucky that they have not come up with plastic cartridges for my S&W .44 Mag... or I will resort to using my ash tray from the old truck... btw, this old hardwood carved bumper, has been the 'Kiss of Death' to 3 wandering night time cows so far... no problem..
Old 12-16-2016, 12:42 PM

MB 2007 Gl 320 cdi
Although my '07 GL 320 is based in the Fort Worth are of Texas, and it does not see the below zero temps much, we are traveling to NE PA. in Feb, and there the temps sometimes are a little below the zero mark F. We will be working 12 hr days, at the Susquehanna power plant, and I was a bit worried about coming out of the plant at 7pm, and experiencing that dreaded sloooooow cranking, and questionable starting. No chance to plug it in at the plant, but at the house, I could do it. No inside parking for me up North, and as you can see from the old truck photos, we hang our hats in Palm tree & sunny beach territory most of the year. So, are not used to the frozen thing, and powdered water all over the roads. I will be watching for your results amigo, and again, thanks for the information. Do you have a part number for that cord??
Fishnut
Old 12-17-2016, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 240 Posts
'08 GL 320 CDI
I was a little worried about no heater, as well. With the same "mindset as some as you" coming from (still own, actually) a '98 Suburban with the 6.5TD (although it's been built and now running about 3 times the amount of boost) where I used the heater almost religiously. The first thing that threw me with the GL320 is that the cranking is almost ALWAYS slower than what I'm used to - with gassers or my Sub - regardless of temp. When I asked about that, ALX had responded and said not to worry - it's just the nature of the beast. That made me feel a little better. In the cold weather, it does get slower, still. But it has never once failed to start. It sort of starts off with a few slow cranks, then it picks up.

With that being said, I keep wanting to see what an extra battery (jumped) does for starting - if it increases the speed of cranking. The Suburban has two batteries, so maybe I'm just used to that and old habits are hard to break, so to say.

And... my ashtray did the same thing

Cool truck! I love that body styling.
Fishnut1 (12-17-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 11:04 AM

MB 2007 Gl 320 cdi
I too, have an old diesel truck, which is my go-to vehicle for driving the highway up the 'Baja' to San Diego, and back. It is a '93 F250 4x4 with a non turbo 7.3 liter International/Ford. Even in warm weather, it has been cranking slowly, for the past 3 years. Recently I replaced the starter, and now, it turns over perhaps 1 second, or less, and fires right up. Even on the coldest day, which is not usually less than 55 deg F. So No test there. But, I did find that the commutator on the old starter, was full of carbon from the brushes, and after cleaning, it too runs at 1200 rpm. I now wonder if the MB starters can have the same carbon build up, in the groves in the commutator? I expect so, and you might pull & clean to see if it makes a difference in the cranking speed. Sure did on my old Ford.
Fishnut1
Old 12-17-2016, 11:41 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

two mornings ago it was 0 degrees. truck sat outside all night. got in, pushed the start button once, waited 3 seconds, pushed it again to turn on the truck (no foot on brake) waited 5 seconds. pressed brake, pushed button again- engine caught in half a turn.

battery was replaced with oem one in 2009. she is an 07 with just over 120k miles on the odo. i have owned her from new.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:54 PM

MB 2007 Gl 320 cdi
That is great news. I am the 3rd owner of my '07, and just passed 140K miles. Only had the MB since May, but we are planning on going to NE PA. in Feb.... lots of 0 temps there, so thank you for your post amigo... The 'Panzer' will be sitting outside, as no garage available for us where we stay.

How does the GL 320 handle the snow and ice? My old '93Ford, and the '68, both are true 4x4's with transfer cases and locking hubs, and they plow through bumper high snow with no problem. The '68, being an original 'Highboy', has pushed through 30" deep snow, until it piled up over the hood and stopped then. I am interested to see how the MB does with its AWD.

Fishnut
Old 12-17-2016, 01:59 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

It is competent as in "doesn't spin wheels that provide no traction. Good tires do wonders as you know. When pushed it will understeer as there is no rwd bias.
Fishnut1 (12-17-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 02:17 PM

MB 2007 Gl 320 cdi
To err on the side of caution, I will take is slow until I get the feel of it in the snow. At present, I have street Micheline 's, so may opt for a more aggressive tread pattern before I leave Texas and head to PA. We shall see what this winter brings at the end of Jan..
Fishnut1
Old 12-17-2016, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 GL 320 CDI
Extra glow time... got it and thanks!

I wasn't expecting this vehicle to set the world on fire with it's snow performance, but I will say that it did surprise me and does quite well. The Suburban is still better - partly because of the narrower tires and heavier weight (about 7,000lbs). But I think the "true" 4WD helps out - but hard to compare that one variable because of the other variables at play. And then there's "what type of snow"... light and fluffy, heavy and thick, etc, etc.

But, last year we had a huge snow storm (about 30") and although I got stuck on a back road intersection (probably about 24" at the time), that was partly my fault for coming to a stop. I didn't realize the snow was piling up in front of the vehicle and the tires ended up being in "holes" that they couldn't dig there way out of (good all-weather tires, but not snow tires). But after that, I was golden and ended up driving around for another hour just having fun. This is just a very general statement, but I'd say 18" and no issues - above that, gotta be smart about it.
Fishnut1 (12-18-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 12:49 PM

MB 2007 Gl 320 cdi
All good information and thank you for sharing your experience. I have contracted to the Susquehanna nuclear power plant, for refueling, for the past 6 years, and have seen a variety of Feb. weather, from mild, to 18" of snow and frozen waterfalls. Each year has been different, and as you said, depends upon the type and consistency of the snow. I am planning on looking at some all weather tread tires, before we venture North in the early Spring. If today is any indication, as we were at 12 deg F. at 0700 this morning, in Granbury, Tx. then it promises to be a cold winter. 'The Cabin' as we call the house we stay in, is up a bit of a hill, and in the forest, and 6" to 12" of snow, and some '-' temps are common. But it doesn't last long normally. Again, thanks for your helpful comments, and I will use them in Feb. to be sure.

Fishnut1
Old 12-19-2016, 07:46 AM
a2j

Originally Posted by alx
got in, pushed the start button once, waited 3 seconds, pushed it again to turn on the truck (no foot on brake) waited 5 seconds. pressed brake, pushed button again- engine caught in half a turn.
Why did you press brake? What does pushing the start button does? Just curious and trying to understand why you did what you did. I don't have a start button, I like starting my vehicles using a key
Old 12-19-2016, 09:30 AM

MB 2007 Gl 320 cdi
Does do not want anyone have the remote start feature? I understand that it is an option, and an after market item. I do not want to obsess with this cold weather concern, but the remote starting feature, seems like it might be a very handy thing, and perhaps a 7 or 8 on the comfort scale. We will be working 6/12's, as power plants want to be running, not just being worked on. People get a little cranky when the power goes out.

Fishnut1
Old 12-19-2016, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 GL 320 CDI
Originally Posted by a2j
Why did you press brake? What does pushing the start button does? Just curious and trying to understand why you did what you did. I don't have a start button, I like starting my vehicles using a key
The vehicle can't be started with Keyless Go (push button) without first putting foot on brake. I'm not sure if you need the brake depressed if you've removed the start button and used the key (or don't have Keyless Go) - I've never tried it w/the key.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:28 PM

MB 2007 Gl 320 cdi
Recently gentlemen, on the Today show, Matt Lauer hosted an expose on a new car theft system, and I hope you all saw it. If not, well all the cars with the Keyless go system, and the push to start vehicles, are vulnerable to theft, using an electronic device, invented in Europe. It is being used in the USA this shopping season, and the police have no clue, as of yet, how to combat it. It scans and records the coded signal from your keyless system, as you walk away from your vehicle. It then transmits and activates a 2nd electronic device, that is used to open your door, and start your car, within seconds. Police have recovered several variations of these theft devices already, so it may be back to the "Club" amigos. Insurance companies are working feverishly to devise a plan to halt the thefts, but so far, no luck...

Fishnut 1

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cold weather start?