GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Rear seat entertainment remote to control front system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 12:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL
Rear seat entertainment remote to control front system

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can control the front entertainment system from the back seat using the rear seat entertainment remote, right?

Can this still be done if I don't have the rear seat system installed but get my hands on the remote via dealership/eBay?
Old 12-21-2014, 09:20 PM

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
I had the system on my 2014.... I don't think that I was able to control the front via remote (it has a left and right selector with no provision for front). Also.. I for sure was not able to control the whole system from the front... So we always had to get out of the car and setup the did from the rear... Really stupid. So On my 2015 ordered the car without entertainment... Kids would rather use iPad minis anyway... Helluva lot cheaper too!
Old 12-21-2014, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,103 Likes on 808 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
No - the rear remote does not control the front COMAND..
Old 12-22-2014, 06:28 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
10 speed bicycle
Yes it is possible dependent on a couple of items. Where the previous posts reference that the rear remote will not control the COMAND, it is important to know if this was the MB accessories RSES or the factory kit (SA code 864).

The difference between the two kits is that the MB accessories kit is produced by a third party supplier and has no connection to the factory COMAND system. Basically this kit is fully stand alone where as the factory installed or factory retrofit kit is on the MOST fiber optic bus and also the telematics CAN bus. This is the system that has full integration with the COMAND.

Now I don't recall which year this started, but I can say for certain that with MY14 and MY15 there is a remote that comes with these vehicles with a scroll wheel with the following selections:
1)REAR R
2)REAR L
3)COMAND
4)SPLITVIEW (depending on vehicle equipment)

In the EU there is the option to order a remote for COMAND separately. On a US car you can enable this and order the remote, however you will not be able to find a dealer (likely) that will perform that task for you. Also after the feature is activated it will need to be paired to the COMAND by way of XENTRY.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GL450
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
No - the rear remote does not control the front COMAND..

When the dealer handed me a pair of rear remote, one actually does have a "COMAND" control.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL
Originally Posted by MBtech1098
Yes it is possible dependent on a couple of items. Where the previous posts reference that the rear remote will not control the COMAND, it is important to know if this was the MB accessories RSES or the factory kit (SA code 864).

The difference between the two kits is that the MB accessories kit is produced by a third party supplier and has no connection to the factory COMAND system. Basically this kit is fully stand alone where as the factory installed or factory retrofit kit is on the MOST fiber optic bus and also the telematics CAN bus. This is the system that has full integration with the COMAND.

Now I don't recall which year this started, but I can say for certain that with MY14 and MY15 there is a remote that comes with these vehicles with a scroll wheel with the following selections:
1)REAR R
2)REAR L
3)COMAND
4)SPLITVIEW (depending on vehicle equipment)

In the EU there is the option to order a remote for COMAND separately. On a US car you can enable this and order the remote, however you will not be able to find a dealer (likely) that will perform that task for you. Also after the feature is activated it will need to be paired to the COMAND by way of XENTRY.
I've got a 2015. I've also got an excellent relationship with my dealer, worth a shot.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:38 PM

Received 111 Likes on 93 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG
Not sure if this is off topic, but the process to turn out the rear DVD screens is quite a multi-step process using both the COMMAND and remotes.

In my minivan I was able to just turn on the car and hit play on my touch screen. Which I really prefer over the "joystick" or mouse.

Other than that, the GL is far superior to the minivan=)
Old 12-31-2014, 01:06 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
15 GL550
Originally Posted by Chedman13
Not sure if this is off topic, but the process to turn out the rear DVD screens is quite a multi-step process using both the COMMAND and remotes.
The GL (2014+ at least) can play three different sources simultaneously on three different screens simultaneously so I'm not sure it is a fair comparison to your minivan.