GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

2013 GL450 retrofit easy access 2nd row seat

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gl450
2013 GL450 retrofit easy access 2nd row seat

Hi, I'm a new proud owner of a used 2013 gl450.
fairly stripped down. Got it for great price but now realizing some of things I wish it had. One of those things is the easy access power second row seat. How difficult is it to retrofit the current manual seats with the power option?

Thanks,
Old 04-02-2015, 05:20 AM

Received 319 Likes on 248 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Hi *****,

Welcome!

A few thoughts:

1) Check out the threads in reference to the power version. There are plenty of folks who are not happy with the design of headrests on the power version. This is mainly an issue for folks with children or short adult passengers.

2) Just in case you are not aware, the power version only folds the seats. The other direction is manual just like the basic seat.

3) Considering the hardware (and probable computer programming) required I'm gonna suspect it will be next to impossible to retrofit. And certinally so on a cost/benefit basis.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
Welcome! The easy entry was limited supply in 2013. I wanted it on my custom order but couldn't get it. Based upon everyone's feedback I'm glad I don't have it.

The cost would be significant, new seats to retract the headrests, motors, installation, I'm guessing is would be several thousands of dollars if even possible.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:03 PM

Gl450
Originally Posted by JimBarnhart
Welcome! The easy entry was limited supply in 2013. I wanted it on my custom order but couldn't get it. Based upon everyone's feedback I'm glad I don't have it.

The cost would be significant, new seats to retract the headrests, motors, installation, I'm guessing is would be several thousands of dollars if even possible.
Can't I just find a used seat with the motor/control and install it in place?
Old 04-02-2015, 11:09 PM

Received 319 Likes on 248 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Originally Posted by Jabberwockie
It's not quite that simple in the first place and there are not exactly a bunch of virtually new GLs being parted out for used parts availability. The seat needs power and the car computer (presumably) needs to be programmed for the option as it interacts with several other components and systems. It is not a simple plug-and-play setup.

I'll go on record as assuming that it will be cheaper, easier, and quicker to simply trade your current GL for one with the option. BUT....If you can make it happen be sure to share the process and pricing here.

Last edited by cadetdrivr; 04-02-2015 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:47 PM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 gl450
I personally love the option, but as others have said, it most likely won't be a driveway swap and go job.

At the very least, I think you'll need a starscan reprogram as a few things happen when you hit the button, most major the front seats will sometimes automatically slide forward to make room.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:06 AM

Gl450
Originally Posted by cadetdrivr
It's not quite that simple in the first place and there are not exactly a bunch of virtually new GLs being parted out for used parts availability. The seat needs power and the car computer (presumably) needs to be programmed for the option as it interacts with several other components and systems. It is not a simple plug-and-play setup.

I'll go on record as assuming that it will be cheaper, easier, and quicker to simply trade your current GL for one with the option. BUT....If you can make it happen be sure to share the process and pricing here.

I agree - getting the seat may be a big hurdle, but honestly I cant see how/why the computer would need to be programmed. When my manual seat is flipped forward, It appears that the front seat moves forward if its too far back so the logic seems to already be "built in" based on simple position sensors.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:17 AM

2015 gl450
Run it by a tech at the dealership and see what they say.
It may be as simple as that after all. Good luck.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 211 Posts
S560
Any reason you want it? I have it and consider it the biggest mistake I made on the truck. First of all its not really power. All it does is drop the seat back, which I never do without first pulling up the bottom so the seat is really flat. It doesn't power fold it up and the headrests suck. I am constantly hitting the botton dropping the seat when putting something in the back or grabbing something over the second row. And you still have to manually lift the seat, then grab the handle and recline it to a natural position. It's not like the power fold in my escalade where it dropped the back and flipped the seat forward. The MB system makes the truck worse off...
Old 04-04-2015, 09:21 AM

Gl450
Originally Posted by emilner
Any reason you want it? I have it and consider it the biggest mistake I made on the truck. First of all its not really power. All it does is drop the seat back, which I never do without first pulling up the bottom so the seat is really flat. It doesn't power fold it up and the headrests suck. I am constantly hitting the botton dropping the seat when putting something in the back or grabbing something over the second row. And you still have to manually lift the seat, then grab the handle and recline it to a natural position. It's not like the power fold in my escalade where it dropped the back and flipped the seat forward. The MB system makes the truck worse off...
Mainly easier/convenient access for my elderly in laws.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 211 Posts
S560
Mainly easier/convenient access for my elderly in laws.
You put your elderly in laws in the third row? In any event- it does not make it easier to access. Instead of pushing a button you pull a lever. With both you then need to manually lift the seat to access the third row- by far more difficult than pulling a lever.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:08 PM

2015 gl450
Originally Posted by emilner
You put your elderly in laws in the third row? In any event- it does not make it easier to access. Instead of pushing a button you pull a lever. With both you then need to manually lift the seat to access the third row- by far more difficult than pulling a lever.
To access the third row , with power easy access, you do not need to manually lift anything.

To return the seat to original position you need to manually push it back down, but 2nd row rear back rest and seat bottom automatically flip out of way with push of button.

Last edited by Mike450; 04-04-2015 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Not possible to retro fit EZ Entry - factory install only at time of production only.