GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

My 2013 CPO GL550, need help possible Warranty issue

Old 03-27-2015, 02:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 Toyota Tundra, 2013 Mercedes GL550
My 2013 CPO GL550, need help possible Warranty issue

Got my GL550 delivered almost 2 months now, great beautiful vehicle. There are some concerns, one existing and a couple that was discovered after taking delivery. This vehicle was purchased from out of state. 1) one of the rear center console A/C vent is broken, the fins go every which way and not aligned or move together.
2) one of the 12V outlet cap on the rear center console is broken and missing. This I was aware of and it was supposed to have gotten fixed before I bought the car, but the salesperson texted me before the car was going to be picked up by the carrier and said didn't have enough time to fix it before the truck was delivered and she would cut me a check for $170 to cover labor/parts to get it replaced at local MB when I receive the vehicle...never got the check and it's been 2 months since I got the GL.
3) the wood panel driver's door have 2 cracks full depth through the top clear lacquer about 1" long.
4) the front passenger seat's leather has a weird discolored patch about 7" in size at the butt area..as if they tried painting it and left a dark patch that doesn't match the rest.
I've tried contacting the salesperson and even the manager where I purchased the GL, but no answer and no return calls. This is pretty crappy service, in addition to CPO inspection if they happened to even perform the CPO inpection. I received the full checklist, I'm guessing the CPO checklist, in the glovebox compartment and those issues were checked as good and working...really?! Even a blind person can spot these obvious defects.
Is there anything I can do to get these fixed or covered for repair under warranty?

eta: I'm at work and can post pictures when I get home.

Last edited by v6pwr; 03-27-2015 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:33 PM

S550
I guess your GL was not purchased from a dealer?
Old 03-27-2015, 06:38 PM

It is a CPO purchased at a California MB dealership. But, it seems the salesperson is now avoiding my calls and texts...I even tried to call the manager and it goes to his voice and he hasn't returned my call.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:48 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
GLS450
Originally Posted by v6pwr
It is a CPO purchased at a California MB dealership. But, it seems the salesperson is now avoiding my calls and texts...I even tried to call the manager and it goes to his voice and he hasn't returned my call.

http://mercedes-benz.custhelp.com/app/call
Press 4 for Customer Care and 5 - Tell them your story and express your dissatisfaction and take it to another dealer they recommend.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:53 PM

Here's some pictures I found on my phone...
Attached Thumbnails My 2013 CPO GL550, need help possible Warranty issue-imag0455.jpg   My 2013 CPO GL550, need help possible Warranty issue-imag0456.jpg   My 2013 CPO GL550, need help possible Warranty issue-imag0461.jpg  
Old 03-27-2015, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
Jerome has a good idea, try that.

Another option would be to get to know your local dealer. Go in with a good attitude, looking forward to having them service your vehicle, etc. Talk to the service manager, tell him yours is a CPO and you got bitten by the dealer in CA and have a few minor things you need fixed. See what they do. If you are in a major metro area, feel free to tell us, some dealers are better than others.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:09 PM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 gl450
Stiffing you on the cash they promised is a really poor business move. That would probably **** me off the most.

Starting a relationship with a local dealer is a fine idea and may be very helpful for you. Good luck.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 GL450, 2013 Lexus GS350 F-Sport
CPO repairs can be done at any Mercedes Benz dealership that will honor the warranty, it doesn't need to be done by the dealership you purchased it from.

I concur, contact the local MB dealership service dept. near you and go from there. Stop contacting the dealership in CA.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
It all starts by taking in to the closest MB dealer as soon as you can - and frankly you "should" have taken it right away after you received it.

Now - to be frank - the three "issues" - your dealer will work to "cover" as much as he can under warranty on your "misc" issues if your rig in under 4yrs old and under 50K - then the vent + cig adapter cover can be covered under MB new car warranty - and frankly the wood trim appears from your photo "really" isn't a panel that cracked itself - but the dealer should try to be as accommodating as they can under MB guidelines on that piece.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:24 PM

Thanks for all the support and replies! The GL is a CPO 2013 with 27k miles on it...so hoping warranty covers it as you suggested fab.
I am in Houston, and there are several MB dealers all within short driving distance.. hoping someone in this forum have any positive experiences from any one of them.
I will try to call the number Jerome suggested tomorrow from work and see what they say first. Hard for me to find time to take the truck in because I work 6 days a week...I may have to ask the wife to take it in as I work 6 days a week. She will probably have to lug our two babies with her if she goes though..
Old 03-28-2015, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a similar experience buying a CPO car. Although my dealer addressed all the issues post delivery and made the car near new condition. I'd say that was pretty good customer service considering these cars are pre-owned and not new. However, the big difference is that all the faults were pointed out to my salesperson and his manager before I signed the contract and was given a "due bill" so I can return later and correct the issues (it was late on a weekend, service dept. was already closed).
Old 03-28-2015, 01:04 PM

GL550
My CPO wasn't perfect when it arrived a week ago. They had the windshield wiper blades on incorrectly (they were reversed), and the rear-right passenger door wouldn't lock using the keyfob or keyless-go.

Obviously their 100-point or whatever inspection isn't really used like they say it is.

BUT overall, the car feels brand new to me.

Quite frankly, I am surprised they would CPO a GL-550 with damage to the wood trim and with the power plug caps missing. That is just sloppy in my opinion.

Makes me wonder if dealerships slap the CPO badge on their cars because it's a profit center for them.

Of course I am only speculating, but I did pay extra for the CPO piece of mind and already have to take the car to the dealership for a repair on the first week. Not good....
Old 03-28-2015, 01:32 PM

And that's the principal I was focusing on, ioman...the whole "painstaking, rigorous and stringent" inspection and repair process. When I opened the rear passenger door and pulled up the seat to gain access to the rear seats, i noticed two used soy sauce condiment packets on the floorboard! This was immediately after receiving the GL, so it's not from the kids (plus I don't let them eat in the car).
I love the GL and so does the whole family, but the condition I got it was not as inspected and detailed in good and working order as checked in the inspection/repair list...makes me think the whole CPO is a sham...on top of being lied to and treated worst than the salesperson at a Honda and Toyota dealership I've experienced.
About to be on my lunch break, so I'll call MB with the contact info Jerome provided and see how that goes....

ETA: ugh..found out they close on weekends. Tomorrow is my only day off, I'll probably see if I can take it in to one of the dealerships around town...

Last edited by v6pwr; 03-28-2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:17 PM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
S, GL
Originally Posted by ioman
Makes me wonder if dealerships slap the CPO badge on their cars because it's a profit center for them.
IIRC the average profit on a CPO can beat a new car on some models
Old 03-28-2015, 05:59 PM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 gl450
I've traded a car off lease, in need of some work, only to see it on the lot the next with a CPO sticker on it.

They'll stand behind the warranty, but don't believe for a second every CPO is gone over thoroughly. They spend more time in the detail shop then the service bay before they hit the lot.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:20 PM

Here's photos of the passenger's leather I didn't get to post previously.
And the salesperson had the audacity to lie and say there are no stains, nothing wrong and leather looks brand new after I question her about what I thought looked like soda/coffee stains.
Thousand Oaks Mercedes in CA, stay away!
Attached Thumbnails My 2013 CPO GL550, need help possible Warranty issue-imag0525.jpg   My 2013 CPO GL550, need help possible Warranty issue-imag0526.jpg  
Old 03-28-2015, 07:10 PM

GL550
Originally Posted by v6pwr
Here's photos of the passenger's leather I didn't get to post previously.
And the salesperson had the audacity to lie and say there are no stains, nothing wrong and leather looks brand new after I question her about what I thought looked like soda/coffee stains.
Thousand Oaks Mercedes in CA, stay away!

That is awful. Did you get a survey from MB USA asking about your experience with the dealership? They take those VERY seriously. I would make sure to put everything in there.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:59 PM

I did the survey, but did not go as harsh as I should have, now that I've thought about it. I did voice my concerns, but stated at that time I thought the salesperson would take care if the issues, and it was of no concern. Apparently not, and now that some time has passed, I think I'm getting the cold shoulder because the dealer may have read the survey and did not like what they read.

I doubt MB takes these surveys seriously, as I've gotten no call or letter or anything regarding my concern about the whole buying process and how I was treated as stated in that survey. I'll call MB Monday, and thanks for reminding me about the survey, as I'll bring that up, as well as what can be done about this **** poor "CPO" check.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
For someone who hasn't taken your GL to your local dealer to address these "issues" - frankly I hope you take the 1st step to move forward and put this behind you...
Old 03-28-2015, 09:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 C300 Luxury
I had an annoying experience buying my car CPO from the dealer in DE. The car had a nasty set scratch on the center console in the back and the Comand screen is all scratched up. I contacted them afterwards since they were noticed after delivery and they weren't interested in adjusting any of them.

I probably should have tried MB CS, but I didn't do that... Sadly, probably too late now to get that resolved as I purchased in January.

They were so sloppy they left the cars old tags and registration in the car. I doubt they really do the inspection that MB claims is mandated on these cars.

I had my detailer go over the car to get the inside cleaned up. He couldn't remove the Comand scratches or that nasty console scratch though.

I learned my lesson on the inspection and all that now that I have been through this process.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:36 AM

none
My suggestion is try and speak with the GM.

Unfortunately it sounds like you let your last piece of leverage slip.

The survey!

If you are not happy and issues are not resolved, the loudly and proudly announce that it will be conveyed on the survey. Apparently the dealers are very sensitive about a poor survey result.

I acquired my 2015 GL 550 in Sept of 2014. I have been less than enthusiastic about my dealer experience. The last straw was my Service A appt. I let my frustrations be known to the customer experience rep via a detailed e-mail.

All of a sudden I'm sitting in the dealership talking with the GM and head service guy getting great service! They will be loaning me a brand new S class while they fix a dent/chip that they caused. So complaining in a controlled fashion can work.

As of now they have worked their way back on my good side. Time will tell.

I may grab a Sclass in a few months anyways, so this will be a nice extended test drive.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:15 PM

I went to the local dealer this morning. Unfortunately, the service rep told me that these items are broken from misuse and not because the parts are defective and just broke, he cannot replace it under warranty. He claimed he tried different "codes in the system" to see if it would "accept" the repairs, but nothing worked. He understands and said that as much money as I spent on the car, it should not come that way.
Of importance is that he mentioned he did not see any notes in the computer that I spoke to someone at MB. I called the number that Jerome provided and I guess the agent never made note of anything. But, the service rep said he put the detailed list of work needed in the system so anyone can pull up what he recorded, and for me to contact the MB agent again to see if she can get through to someone at the CA dealership, that way he can get authorization to do the repairs if they OK it.
I just called the MB agent back and she said she will give my information to someone higher up to escalate the situation to see if anything can be done. Someone at MB will contact the sales agent in CA or that dealership about the situation, and I am suppose to be getting a phone call within 24hrs from a higher up to see what can or cannot be done...

Last edited by v6pwr; 03-31-2015 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
I mean no offense - but waiting 2 months after delivery kind of tied-everything-up.

1) the replacement 12V outlet cover was found and decided at time you got delivery - and the originating dealer "confirmed"reimbursement for that - and shame on them

2) I have seat surface stains removed - but if the stain agent seeped "into" the seat - I have seen stains that have later reappeared from bottom-up - I am NOT saying this is the seat issue - but possible. Sure - a respray might work - not my fav on a GL550 - however asking for seat cushion/skin replacement will be a challenge - and the seat issue is not a CPO area

3) Wood trim - not a CPO issue - and I understand you are upset on that too..
Old 04-05-2015, 02:10 PM

GL550
Bottom line though: Mercedes should not be selling this as a CPO vehicle. All door dings, paint blemishes, scratches, stains and lighter covers should be fixed BEFORE this is classified as a CPO car.

I think you have a good case against MB. You should also talk to an online site like Autoblog or your local news. Get the word out so that Mercedes cracks down on their dealers and whips them into shape. This will help countless future MB buyers.