GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

On&Offroad package on GL350?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL350, 14' CTS-V Wagon 6spd, 06' Jeep Liberty CRD
On&Offroad package on GL350?

The theoretical question: can you in stall the On&Offroad package onto a non-equipped GL? As you know MB does not offer the On&Offroad package for U.S. Spec GL350 however they do offer it in German markets. I ended up getting an amazing deal on a 2015 GL350 (diesel was what I wanted) but it did not come with the tow package. The dealer is helping me limit the cost of the Tow package installation. As most people know this is a significant endeavor which involves dismantling the interior. So while I was at it I want to know what it would take to make this vehicle even more spectacular, unique and capable by adding the On&Offroad package. To me it seems the project involves a control module or two, like the tow package, as well as the wiring harnesses and two clusters of switches for the center console.
1. Is this package simply a control computer module with switches or is it more?
2. What are the part numbers I will need?
3. What else do I need to consider?
4. Is the airmatic suspension the same in all GLs?
5. Is the all wheel drive system the same?
6. Is the transmission the same?
Old 07-05-2015, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
No, you cannot install On/Off Road post factory - will not happen.

For the 2015 tow hitch - for 2015 GL Mercedes has the "hitch retrofit kit" - which includes hitch + MB wiring harness which will give you full factory electronic/safety features -shop install time for full install estimated at 7-8 shop hrs - the install instruction in WIS for the tech are quite detailed and complete - no worries there.

Keep the beat !
Old 07-05-2015, 07:45 PM

Got it....but why? Is it different suspension setup? There must be more to it then just no. It seems all components are present for the setup minus the control modules possibly sensors and wiring.

Last edited by Curranva; 07-05-2015 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 240 Posts
'08 GL 320 CDI
I thought that the on & off road package included a 2-speed transfer case?

Curranva, you'd know better than me since you have the car (and owner's manual) - does it say anything about that in the literature?
Old 07-06-2015, 08:43 AM

Yes it does add the transfer case. Again, this doesn't make it an impossible install just a little involved. The transfer case in addition to switches and computer modules seem to be the major differences. It does not address different suspensions or any other costly parts just programming, undercarriage protection, and the transfer case. Since the option is offered in Germany the parts should already be customized and built for the Bluetec. It just requires installation if it were possible. Does anyone know how or where I can get a schematic of a 450/550 ON&OFFroad package? That should tell me if there are additional sensors or miscelaneous parts/issues I might need and how to install it.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 GL 320 CDI
Just speculating, but would a different transfer case change the axle lengths? I don't for sure, though - just thinking out loud.

Are you planning on doing this yourself? What does your dealer say about it and warranty issues? It seems like they would be a good source of information for this - or at least be able to find out directly from MB for you.

I doubt, although I could be wrong, that you're going to have much luck finding someone that has done this. And asking someone to do all the research for you and come up with all the parts needed is quite a big task. You might consider buy a subscription to something like AllDataDIY and looking up part numbers that way. For example, for my year, it shows a functional schematic of the xfer case system that includes the various parts (sensors, control modules, etc) along with the parts used for the Off Road pkg. It also shows that JUST the xfer case is over $5K.

In the end, just about anything is possible - but it will likely require a large outlay of cash. And whether or not that is "worth it" is, of course, a subjective matter.

Last edited by DennisG01; 07-06-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:04 AM

2009 E350, 2015 GLK350 4Matic
I will never for the life of me remotely understand why a 2 year old car with notoriously finicky electronics someone wants to retrofit a bunch of complications into. You'll just void the warranty and give any mechanic and especially a dealer an excuse to blame your mods for any future issues.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:18 PM

DennisG01 that is a good observation, I don't know abou the axle but I would assume so. ALLDataDIY does not have schematics for '14 or '15 yet. I plan on heading to the dealer with the question but before I do, I want to gather as much information as I can. Dealerships often vary with expertise/experience especially when asking for something unique. Obviously the parts are costly but can often be double in price when ordered through the dealership as compared to online. And to avoid the warranty issue I intend to find a dealership that can conduct the installation if possible. If not, I will wait until the warranty is void before installing it.

VentoGT, "I will never for the life of me remotely understand why" an E350 and GLK350 owner is commenting in the GL forum about GL technical questions regarding GL capabilities.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:58 PM

2009 E350, 2015 GLK350 4Matic
Curranva, I was in the market for a GL for almost 8 months and exhaustively searched, asked questions, etc and am still interested in the trucks and will likely be a future owner someday. I have read extensively about not only the finicky electronics but the notoriously difficult diesels. Sorry to be a naysayer but it's your money, do what makes you happy. Will watch the thread with interest nonetheless and will keep my comments to myself from here on out.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:40 PM

VentoGT, I've only owned the vehicle a few days but it is amazing and haven't experienced the issues, yet. If I were to do it again I would fly to Stuttgart and order one exactly like I want it with Bluetec and the Offroad package and tell them I want U.S. spec safety/emissions features...but that is hindsight. Almost all vehicles these days have peculiar electronic problems, especially once the warranty elapses. Even my last vehicle (Toyota Tundra) had issues. The fact is there are very limited number of diesels out there that can haul, tow, and occasionally go offroad...and fit 6 persons. It seems to me the GL was the only one outside of the MB Sprinter. Good luck on your future purchase.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 GL 320 CDI
What type of off roading are you anticipating doing? The reason I ask is that the truck is apparently a pretty darn good off-roader the way it is. Sure, lockers and dual ranges only make things better, but if you're doing anything hardcore...

Assuming yours in basically the same setup as mine (and assuming I understand it correctly - I've only had it for a few weeks), when you put the drivetrain into the 'normal' off road setting, it does alter the RPM's and gearing, albeit electronically, and also use all of the traction control and ABS systems to limit wheelspin and improve traction.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Let me repeat - no, it is not possible to retrofit On/Off Road post-production for either a W166 or X166..

If you crave that feature - I would suggest you plan your timing on how best to move forward into your next GL that has that factory feature.

I am just delivering the accurate news - question/rage against the machine all you want - doesn't change the correct answer..

Keep the beat !
Old 07-07-2015, 09:22 AM

DennisG01, it is a great system but I move a lot! My next move could be Germany, Alaska, Colorado or even Texas. One of the limits is I need the most capable vehicle in all environments. The system on it is very good. These vehicles are complex, but when it comes down to it, almsot anything can be done to any vehicle.

Fabbrisd1, can you tell me why it cannot be technically or mechanically done? What parts are different, what parts are the same? Are you an MB technician or just expressing your view? If you read the posts above I wanted a diesel however this package is not offered in the U.S. for the GL350 so your suggestion is irrelevant but thank you for your opinion. If you could add some technical expertise to this conversation it would be much appreciated.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Frankly - I am simply stating the facts:

"it is not possible to retrofit On/Off Road post-production for either a W166 or X166..

"If you crave that feature - I would suggest you plan your timing on how best to move forward into your next GL that has that factory feature."

My statement is 100% accurate .. regardless of your extended conjecture...
Old 07-11-2015, 01:39 AM
skw

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
2019 GLS450
Originally Posted by Curranva
Fabbrisd1, can you tell me why it cannot be technically or mechanically done? What parts are different, what parts are the same? Are you an MB technician or just expressing your view? If you read the posts above I wanted a diesel however this package is not offered in the U.S. for the GL350 so your suggestion is irrelevant but thank you for your opinion. If you could add some technical expertise to this conversation it would be much appreciated.
Curranva, you're correct that with an open wallet and time, almost anything can be done to anything. Although the pkg is offered in Europe, and I don't have the technical answer here, but I would guess that there is additional/different equipment on US spec vehicles that prohibits it from being offered here on the diesels. I would also suggest doing a search on past posts by Fabbrisd1 on various topics. Read between the lines in many of them in what he gives information on as well as some things that he "can't" say, and you can put 2 & 2 together as to who he is. Hence why he may be able to say that it can not be done, but, in his position, can't go into detail why.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:26 PM

GL350
anybody who have done the off road package retrofit on a GL 2012-2015?
Old 04-09-2019, 10:45 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
GL550
I found an interesting technical article that discuss off road package in the GL. It talks about the different modes of that package and what changes it does to the wheels, transmission and suspension.

https://www.mbsugarland.com/the-on-off-road-package/

Also, it seems that you're not the only one wanting to add the off road package to the 350. It seems very possible, one user did it, from what it was mentioned (just deep pockets): https://www.benzworld.org/forums/x16...e-gl350-4.html

If there's a will, there's a way!

Last edited by NaviTimer1; 04-09-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:46 PM

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
2013 ML550 / 1994 E420
I have an ML w/ On-Off Road. Here is why fabbris is being very blunt - the following would need to be installed:
  • Front and Rear Hydraulic Sway Bars ($$)
  • Hydraulic Pump w/ plumbing and wiring
  • Engine Wiring Harness - it’s unique to the package - I would know, I had to wait 30 days for a dealer to order the right one when it had to be replaced...
  • Airmatic Springs and Dampers with ADS at all four corners
  • Airmatic Pump and Valve Blocks / Lines etc.
  • Two-Speed Transfer Case for Low Range ($$)
  • Undercarriage Scuff Plates
  • Center Console will need new plates and switches for the Air Suspension control, DSR and other buttons, and a new switch for the drive mode selector
  • Shafts / Axle components - pretty sure they are beefier due to the low range gearbox, but could be wrong
  • ECU - not sure here, but most of what makes the On-Off Road package work is in the software (ESP, DSR, Sport & Comfort Mode etc)

I am sure there is more than just those parts - but each sway bar with Valve Blocks and plumbing would easily be $4-5k...so that’s about $10k in parts. The Airmatic with ADS would be another $4k - plus the wiring changes. I have no idea what a Mercedes Two-Speed Transfer case costs...but I don’t want to find out. Even if you find one at a junk yard, that’s a whole lot of parts to try and retrofit. And I’m sure there are a bunch more parts that are different that I don’t even know about.

Bottom line, The On-Off Road package is not worth it to retrofit - it will be ruinously expensive and will only put you on par with what a Land Rover / Range Rover or Jeep Grand Cherokee can accomplish off road with worse approach / departure angles. I previously owned a Grand Cherokee with the Off Road adventure package - same capability off road, but a MUCH better ride on the road in the ML.

The Benzworld forum poster retrofitted an older 164-series GL from the looks of it - the package changed significantly in the 166-chassis. And his costs were still $15-20k. I have yet to see a retrofit done on any 166-chassis vehicle and imagine it would cost more than the cost of the vehicle on the used market with labor costs included.

Just keep searching for one with the option already - you’ll be way better off.

Last edited by OldMerc94; 05-07-2019 at 11:09 PM.