GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Roof bike rack OEM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 04:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 Honda Odyseey Touring Elite
Roof bike rack OEM

Does anyone know how many bikes I can fit on the top of the GL? Ours doesn't have a tow hitch so I need to put everything on the roof. I think my parents used to put 4 on the roof of their Benzes when I was a kid. I would use the OEM kit.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Frankly - if you just need a trailer hitch for rear mounted bike rack - then Curt has a hitch for about $350 and without needing/connecting electrical mounting at a trailer hitch guy will be about $100-$125 - heck a U-Haul hitch place might do the whole deal under $500.

You can go to the Curt web site - see the model hitch that will fit - and they should have video install instructions - not to make it DIY necessarily - but from a physical/mechanical standpoint the hitch is not a big deal.

It's when you add electrical for trailer lights/brakes - and/or integrating the trailer hitch features in the GL - it's that electrical/labor/connectivity that gets pircey.

With a hitch - then you have your choice of rear rack's - which for most makes more sense than roof mounted.

For roof mount - 1st you need to add cross-bars - which can be OE or several Thule/Whisper/etc can fit.

Then with the cross bars - you choose the bike mounting you to fit to the cross bars - bike mount is up to you.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 Honda Odyseey Touring Elite
I can get the Mercedes parts at cost...but it is the labor I am worried about. That's why I was thinking the roof might work. I don't think we will ever tow anything...so I am not too worried about the extra parts of the trailer hitch. I do wish mine had had it though. Oh well!

I thought I saw on here that the curt one can't be installed bc of the single exhaust or something? Or did I read that incorrectly?
Old 05-29-2016, 09:28 AM
mtm

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts
gl450
once you add the crossbars and then the bike rack on top of those, it will be a royal pain to get the bikes on and off the rack - because of the height.

I think the simple hitch mentioned above is a better solution, especially if you plan to carry multiple bikes. With a roof rack you'd need a step ladder to load a bike anywhere but the very edge of the roof.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:48 AM

Received 319 Likes on 248 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Originally Posted by mtm
once you add the crossbars and then the bike rack on top of those, it will be a royal pain to get the bikes on and off the rack - because of the height.

I think the simple hitch mentioned above is a better solution, especially if you plan to carry multiple bikes. With a roof rack you'd need a step ladder to load a bike anywhere but the very edge of the roof.
This.

And then just slightly drop one bike once and compare the repair costs of the GL to the price of the hitch. I also witnessed my neighbor attempt to drive his car to his garage with a roof mounted bike on top.

Just call me skittish about roof mounted bikes.

FWIW, we have the Yakima Fullswing and would easily recommended it as a hitch mounted rack. Even with a full load of bikes it can swing clear and permit access to the rear hatch of the GL.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Frankly - with regards to adding the rear hitch for bike rack use - focus on aftermarket - and Curt is a top maker there - absolutely no reason to obsess about MB/OE hitch.

If you are not prepared to do DIY - do NOT waste money on MB dealer install - you can have a local trailer hitch expert - many larger U-Haul stores for example - as this is not rocket science to them since you are not asking for wiring/electrical hookup.

Keep the beat !
Old 06-16-2016, 05:56 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
GLS450
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Frankly - with regards to adding the rear hitch for bike rack use - focus on aftermarket - and Curt is a top maker there - absolutely no reason to obsess about MB/OE hitch.

If you are not prepared to do DIY - do NOT waste money on MB dealer install - you can have a local trailer hitch expert - many larger U-Haul stores for example - as this is not rocket science to them since you are not asking for wiring/electrical hookup.

Keep the beat !
Will Curt work with Active Curve System's?