GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Cargo net behind driver seat

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 01:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GL 450
Cargo net behind driver seat

Hello all.

Just picked up up a certified 2014 GL 450. First Mercedes Benz I've ever owned. Very happy with the vehicle so far. The buying experience at the dealer was not so great. The cargo net behind the driver seat (tan leather interior) is ripped. I asked them to fix it and they would not. I was kinda annoyed as Mercedes CPO is supposed to restore the vehicle back to "like" factory new. There was other little interior knicks on the rear hatch but they were able to have a guy come out and take the marks out. Does anyone know if it's possible to replace just the netting or do I have to replace the entire seat back.

Thank you everyone.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:41 AM

2014 GL 450
Does anyone think it should of been replaced prior to being put for sale by the dealer or am I being to picky?
Old 01-02-2017, 06:43 AM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
2014 GL450
You should have refuse delivery. Granted from your initial post, you prob drove a few hours to pick it up. Still during the test drive and negotiation, you could have insisted on it being fixed.

Perhaps you could bring it in and have it covered under warranty.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:08 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2013 GL350
Take a look at this last part of this chain;

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x166/649194-coolant-leak.html

appears they had similiar issue which was indeed covered by warranty.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:31 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Own 2005 CLK500, but drive 2011 Sienna :)
I just replaced the net by myself.
I had something stored in knee area by the left rear passenger (forgot abot it) and when I did move the seat back the plastic that holds the net in place did crack. #(%$
I removed the back cover of the drivers seat (2 screws in the bottom, couple clips in the middle) and saw, that this frame holding the net is bonded to the back panel.
I found and bought similar back panel from ebay ($49) in the bad shape, but the net with a frame was OK. With a hot air iron help I swapped the nets.
Otherwise new back panel $150-$250 depending on if you have seat ventilation or not.

This example is for X164, but the idea is the same:

Or this is for X166:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/222381570903?

Last edited by HETPE3B; 01-17-2017 at 11:54 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:32 AM

2014 GL550
Do they make one without the netting? I am buying a gl550 and they are going to replace it before i buy. They say they have to replace before selling every one. My kids will have that thing stretched out in no time. Can i get one without? Mine has cooled seats btw.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:21 PM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
2014 GL450
Since I too am worried my kids would rip them apart, I have 2 of these to protect the seat back from dirt as well as provide more storage space than what the net provides.

Luxury Car Back Seat Organizer with Thermo Pockets, DVD Player/Tablet Holder - Large Touch Screen Pocket - Universal Use as Car Backseat Organizer for Kids, Kick Mat & Seat Back Protector + Free Gift https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0180PTWIC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_xupGyb47J7XHB
Old 09-11-2019, 10:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 GL450
It's at the discretion of the manager

Originally Posted by Gbee
Does anyone think it should of been replaced prior to being put for sale by the dealer or am I being to picky?
Usually used cars, even the certified ones, are sold in the condition in which the dealer received the vehicle. There are certain standards, regarding age and mileage, in order to make it to the used lot and those which don't qualify, will be sold at auction. In most cases they will do an oil change and if badly worn out, the brake pads will as well be replaced. Beyond that don't expect extensive repairs because they don't do such. The "certification" is a gimmick, but it will give you some certainty that you get a safe vehicle to drive; if it comes with a warranty, even better. Some "certified" cars are sold with a three year - 50k miles warranty at no extra cost. What people need to understand is the following: These cars are most likely lease returns. What this means is that it had to do all inspections at the specified time, however it was driven as if it was stolen. For these cars, usually the "certification" is simply checking the service history and that's it. And finally to your question; no they don't have to replace that net. It's a part which they sell for about $200 and that means $200 less in their pocket. Since it's not a matter of safety and you buy a used car, it's only up to you if you want the car or not.