GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Service B 40K Miles (Tran Oil Change)?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 06:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 - GL 550
Service B 40K Miles (Tran Oil Change)?

As per Mercedes manual they now recommend to change the Tran oil at 70K and in previous GL models it used to be 40K. I am at 20K miles now and was thinking to buy the 3 service pack, the local dealer mentioned they do the Tran Oil change at 40K miles when I mentioned the 70K story from the service manual he seemed to be confused.

Usually I do all my services which includes Cabin Filter\Air Filter\Oil Changes\Brake Fluid Changes etc because dealer uses 5W-30 where as I like to use 0W-40, but if it involves Tran Oil I let the Dealer do it as I felt it is too much of work with mess. So if the 40K service no more involves the Tran Oil change I rather not buy the packs now and buy it closer to Tran oil change.
Also in regards to above can I buy the 3 service packs at 50K miles if the Tranny change is at 70K? and I am assuming when I hit 70K my car would 5 year old so I might also be eligible for Coolant flush but again that is also a mystery if now they do the Coolant flush at 5 years or 7 years.

Too much confusion.

Thanks
Old 01-09-2017, 08:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 GL350
My service stated the coolant is good for 15 years, but they test it at each service to see the cold weather rating to be sure. Sounds like a good deal to me, but I bet the radiator or engine would need replaced before 15 years is up, it is a MB after all ;-)

Originally Posted by Dreamszalone
As per Mercedes manual they now recommend to change the Tran oil at 70K and in previous GL models it used to be 40K. I am at 20K miles now and was thinking to buy the 3 service pack, the local dealer mentioned they do the Tran Oil change at 40K miles when I mentioned the 70K story from the service manual he seemed to be confused.

Usually I do all my services which includes Cabin Filter\Air Filter\Oil Changes\Brake Fluid Changes etc because dealer uses 5W-30 where as I like to use 0W-40, but if it involves Tran Oil I let the Dealer do it as I felt it is too much of work with mess. So if the 40K service no more involves the Tran Oil change I rather not buy the packs now and buy it closer to Tran oil change.
Also in regards to above can I buy the 3 service packs at 50K miles if the Tranny change is at 70K? and I am assuming when I hit 70K my car would 5 year old so I might also be eligible for Coolant flush but again that is also a mystery if now they do the Coolant flush at 5 years or 7 years.

Too much confusion.

Thanks