GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

How do you wash GLK - by hand or car wash?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 02:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK
How do you wash GLK - by hand or car wash?

Horrible to admit but I've never washed a car by hand before. It's our first luxury vehicle and I'm slowly but surely becoming more obsessed with how to properly care for it. So much to learn. So many finishes. Geez!! Took for a touchless wash today, but after I've read online some bad stories with hydrofluoric acid and chrome - I'm afraid to wash it anywhere again. Come winter though, I won't have much choice but take it to car wash (when temp is freezing outside, gotta love Canadian winters). Do you have any tips on how to clean it by hand and not spend half a day doing it? I'm a busy mom, so don't have much time. hehe. Sorry for a silly question. Oh, and which products do you like to use?

PS. A bit disappointed, seen dealership's cleaning bay - and they use huge brushes to wash cars. Ouch! All those brand new vehicles! Don't brushes ruin MB nano clearcoat? Won't be asking them to wash my car!!
Old 05-27-2010, 09:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 GLK 220CDI 4M BlueEFFICIENCY
Our cars: By hand - for the last 30 years

"- Come winter though, I won't have much choice but take it to car wash": Fortunately do our car wash have an indoor place for the (enthusiastic) "car hand washers", which is important on 69° 41' N.

"Oh, and which products do you like to use?": The products I have used for the last five years or so, is (again!) from Swisswax. With regard to wash is it the Car Bath:
http://www.swissvax.us/merchant.mvc?...SHING-PRODUCTS, note the three different quantities, and the Waschpudel:
http://www.swissvax.us/merchant.mvc?...SHING-PRODUCTS, that rules.

" - so don't have much time": The Waschpudel really made a difference, however will hand wash always be a different story, compared to car wash.

As said before, take a look at the description of the products, and see for yourself

"Don't brushes ruin MB nano clearcoat?": Should not, however has that to be proven, as the technology is new, used on MBs. Interesting though, is that a German newspaper reported that the "painters" working with it may be subject to harm from it. But that is off the subject.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK 350X :0
the dealer here uses high pressure wash and they don't use any hand method. That's what I was told when brought in 1st time for dealer service. I was worried with the same concerns as yours, glkmom. Later, I found out there are few swirls due to the drying process with a chamois. It could be that they miss a few areas, and the chamois picks it up and then passes it on the new cars?

I have just ordered a 2 bucket system so, I know I will be extra careful of not to scratch the car. Hand washing is tidious, but it is only way of having great results. I will be ordering a PC polisher soon too for that extra shine.

Products that are really easy to use are from P21s. Their wheel cleaners are safe and easy to use. You have to be careful of not to use any harsh chemicals on your wheels or you'll be in for a surprise. The brake dust must be cleaned often to prevent from a chemical reaction happening which almost eats the wheels par se.

Sometimes you need the proper tools and wash products to do a good job. This also includes for the interior dash / MBTex seating / carpets and glass area....

Old 05-27-2010, 09:00 PM

W205 c400 sport
i use a very high pressure spray wand wash, and i mean pressure that makes your arm hurt. then spot free rinse and air dry.

18 months and no scratches. none.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
^^^hahah

By hand and myself. I'd rather have dirty car than have somebody else washing it (i.e. dealer). GLK has awesome paint and with Nufinish "wax" dirt comes of with light touch. After the wash I use squeegee to get rid of the water and then towel.

No micro scratches here either after a year.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:48 PM

GLA250
There's a great product called "Quick and Easy Wash", which was initially designed for washing mobile homes without a hose. Put two capfuls in a bucket and gently wipe the dirt away with a soft wash mit. One side to clean, the other to rinse. It works amazingly well and it's much gentler on the finish than an automated carwash. If you want, you can use a second bucket of plain water to rinse the mit out between passes.

Last edited by Marcos51; 05-28-2010 at 08:50 PM. Reason: adding pic
Old 05-28-2010, 08:55 PM

2010 GLK 350
This is an easy one:

Lease: Carwash
Yours:Handwash
Old 05-29-2010, 08:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by Marcos51
There's a great product called "Quick and Easy Wash", which was initially designed for washing mobile homes without a hose. Put two capfuls in a bucket and gently wipe the dirt away with a soft wash mit. One side to clean, the other to rinse. It works amazingly well and it's much gentler on the finish than an automated carwash. If you want, you can use a second bucket of plain water to rinse the mit out between passes.
sounds like a terrible idea, might as well take sand paper to your car.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:33 AM

GLA250
You might think so, but it's not the case. If you visit any of the detailing forums or sites like Autopia, even the high-end detailing companies are selling products of this type. The caveats are - the car should be properly detailed in the first place, meaning the paint is reasonably slick. Second, you need to use the proper tools, such as a thick lambswool or microfiber mit and you need to be careful. IMO, the results are superior to and safer for the paint than a carwash. Here's one of those products.

http://www.autogeek.net/dp-rinseless-four-in-one.html
Old 05-29-2010, 09:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLK350
I hand wash unless i'm super busy then I take it to a touchless car wash and they work pretty well. I was shocked that my local dealer uses an auto car wash (brushes) when you bring the car in for service. My car came back with so much water spots. wasn't use to this as my past cars with Acura and Infinit dealer hand wash/dress tires with each service. Funny thing is, those services probably cost less than what i'm about to shell out for this car, lol,
Old 05-30-2010, 03:50 AM

M37S
everything is by hand.

I also have the stealership put DO NOT WASH on my car when im doing maintenance work on it. Keep it dirty.

Also my interior is off limits other than the drivers side.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:58 AM

Glk 350
Have any of you guys used the meaguirs quick detailer after your done washing to get rid of all the water spots and give it a nice clean glossy look. thats what my stealership recommend i do i have a black glk and i wash it at the car wash and no scratches still
Old 05-30-2010, 08:06 AM

GLA250
Quick detailing products work great after a wash to add some gloss and even out the finish. But with any detailing product, it's the tools and technique more than the product itself. You need to use microfiber towels and a gentle straight-line motion or you'll just be damaging the finish. Proper finish care is not difficult, but it does require some study and practice. You should check out the videos on Adam's Wax to get an idea of how to do things reasonably well.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-videos.aspx
Old 05-30-2010, 02:25 PM

M37S
Originally Posted by bobby866
Have any of you guys used the meaguirs quick detailer after your done washing to get rid of all the water spots and give it a nice clean glossy look. thats what my stealership recommend i do i have a black glk and i wash it at the car wash and no scratches still
I use turtle wax water wipe off (you spray on while its wet, then dry off..its awesome)

Then I use Mequires quick detail after for the final touch..looks showroom all the time.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:17 PM

Glk 350
whats the actual name of the turtle wax product you use if i was going to the store to buy it? or looking online?
Old 05-31-2010, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Dunk wash....... the bonus is the interior is washed as well!

Hand wash.. in the shade.... the only way to do it!
Old 05-31-2010, 07:23 PM

GLK 350
What is recommended for the rubber trim around the windows? I picked up Armor All Gel for the dash, seats and it works well. However it's horrible for the rubber trim.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
says:
Originally Posted by n8nu
What is recommended for the rubber trim around the windows? I picked up Armor All Gel for the dash, seats and it works well. However it's horrible for the rubber trim.

Well if you only looked down a couple of threads you would have found this: https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...-moldings.html
Old 06-01-2010, 07:58 PM

GLK 350
Thanks

Old 06-05-2010, 07:44 PM

GLK
I never let the dealer wash my car even it is free. They used hard brushes and hard water that leaves lots of water spots. If you love your car do it your self.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
Is it really hard to hand wash a car? I don't think so. When you are done you know it's clean. DetailXpert is selling franchises. Will steam alone clean your car? What do you think?
Old 11-30-2010, 10:23 AM

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 G63
summertime- i go to an amazing hand car wash in midtown houston, 20 minute commute
wintertime- i hand wash it, my driveway

summers are to hot and humid!!
Old 11-30-2010, 01:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 GLC300, 2015 S550 4Matic LWB
I go to the wand car wash really late at night, or really early in the morning when no one's around.

I bring 2 Home Depot buckets with lids, and fill them with soap spray through the lid hole before spraying down the car. Then I do the 2 bucket method, and rinse it off. It's the only way to ensure that the car actually is cleaned, while minimizing paint scratches.

When it's winter time, I'll do a quick wipe down inside as well to prevent the water from freezing.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GLK350, 2010 ML350, 2008 C63 AMG
Only by hand and never by the dealer
Old 12-03-2010, 11:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GLK350
Originally Posted by n8nu
303 aerospace protectent for everything. Forget everything else. Order online or buy at a marine supply. Amorall products are junk.

For car detailing tips and products check out griot's garage, or search out the owners club at www.mbca.org There's a good forum and newsletters on owning MB's, and info on maintaining them.

Good source of supplies here: www.topoftheline.com
MBZ purists swear by the dealer products but they are expensive for what you get.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: How do you wash GLK - by hand or car wash?