GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

New Owner Impressions: GLK250 Bluetec

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 07:31 AM

Received 226 Likes on 139 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec, 2024 E350 4matic W214, 2014 GLK250 Bluetec, 2000 CLK320 Cabrio
New Owner Impressions: GLK250 Bluetec

To anybody considering one of these, I highly recommend checking one out. The engine and transmission are very well sorted out and quite smooth. The torque from this little diesel engine is amazing. It is very fun to drive. It pulls hard right off the line and right off idle. I also like how when I am cruising along at whatever speed and the car is in a higher gear (well under 2K RPM) - a slight push on the accelerator really gets the vehicle moving. It's quiet at idle but you can still tell it's a diesel. The power delivery is great and it sounds good. I can't say enough good things about this drivetrain! I am very happy that I purchased one. Also, the highway MPG is fantastic! I took a pic of the computer after a highway drive. Hopefully the attachment came through.
Attached Thumbnails New Owner Impressions: GLK250 Bluetec-img_4034-1-.jpg  
Old 05-13-2013, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 C43
EPA underestimates another diesel mpg rating!
Great feed back, thanks!

Trying to get my wife out of her 2007 Lexus RX400h for a GLK 250!!!!
Old 05-13-2013, 01:58 PM

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts
yes
"How Vehicles Are Tested

Fuel economy is measured under controlled conditions in a laboratory using a standardized test procedure specified by federal law. Manufacturers test their own vehicles—usually pre-production prototypes—and report the results to EPA. EPA reviews the results and confirms about 10-15 percent of them through their own tests at the National Vehicles and Fuel Emissions Laboratory."

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/how_tested.shtml
Old 05-13-2013, 02:05 PM

yes
"Automakers follow EPA procedures to do their own mileage tests, and the EPA enforces accuracy by auditing about 15 percent of vehicles annually."

http://www.wbez.org/news/kia-hyundai...mileage-103622
Old 05-13-2013, 02:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350 BTC & C300
That is great mpg, Congrats on the new MB!
Old 05-13-2013, 02:44 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
The readout for MPG on the panel is likely not very accurate as compared to a computation from your refueling and the miles driven. On my E350 I constantly read 40mpg on the highway and in the 20's around town and the true MPG at various times is nowhere near the readout. The readout is just a broad computation and estimate.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:01 PM

yes
Originally Posted by Bob338
The readout for MPG on the panel is likely not very accurate as compared to a computation from your refueling and the miles driven. On my E350 I constantly read 40mpg on the highway and in the 20's around town and the true MPG at various times is nowhere near the readout. The readout is just a broad computation and estimate.
I agree. People put too much faith in them. That stuff is not designed/engineered to space shuttle standards. The only proper way is, as you say, compute it by recording your mileage and the amount of fuel you put in each time over the course of say, a few months or more. Then you'll get quite an accurate idea of your real world, combined fuel mileage.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:05 PM

2010 BMW 335d, 2013 GLK250
Originally Posted by Bob338
Originally Posted by MBKLUE
I agree. People put too much faith in them. That stuff is not designed/engineered to space shuttle standards. The only proper way is, as you say, compute it by recording your mileage and the amount of fuel you put in each time over the course of say, a few months or more. Then you'll get quite an accurate idea of your real world, combined fuel mileage.
I have to disagree with the two statements above. From my experience with Audi, BMW, and Mercedes I can safely say that the computer is within 0.5L/100km accurate compared to my manual calculation. I track my mileage manually with an app and compare it to the computer's value. If anything the computer underestimates the mileage a little bit. No offence, but it only seems inaccurate if you don't understand how to read the computer.

In OP's case he is travelling an average of 72mph for almost 2 hours. 40mpg average is a reasonable number in that condition.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:19 PM

2012 S350 Bluetec, 2024 E350 4matic W214, 2014 GLK250 Bluetec, 2000 CLK320 Cabrio
I have found that manual calculation is very close to the readout in the newer Benzes. I have not yet confirmed the readout with manual calculation in this vehicle, but it seems very reasonable based on how long it took me to go through the first tank.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:37 PM

yes
Originally Posted by EVTee
I have to disagree with the two statements above. From my experience with Audi, BMW, and Mercedes I can safely say that the computer is within 0.5L/100km accurate compared to my manual calculation. I track my mileage manually with an app and compare it to the computer's value. If anything the computer underestimates the mileage a little bit. No offence, but it only seems inaccurate if you don't understand how to read the computer.

In OP's case he is travelling an average of 72mph for almost 2 hours. 40mpg average is a reasonable number in that condition.
No offense taken but not sure how anyone could not understand how to read the the MPG or L/100 km. The average of 72mph and time of almost 2 hours is "bonus" information. Not really relevant if you're looking at combined/average MPG or L/100 km.

And on what basis is 40mpg average reasonable in those conditions? Based on on the computer readout? Going in circles here. Please understand I'm not saying these figures are not/cannot be achieved. Simply I think that people put too much faith in some vehicles calculations and many people in the U.S. believe the EPA is directly determining and providing MPG numbers. Not the case.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
I would suggest that "new" GLK owner's check out the proper "effective" use of the 7G tranny:

Smoother "passing"zoom-gear - hold left paddle two second at speed - auto tranny kick down without "pedal" drama - look to tach, tranny kicks down thru next lowest gear 1st /then to passing/power gear - upshift right paddle one click at a time or hold right paddle two seconds for return to auto.

At stop - hold left paddle down for 2 secs - start off in 1st - right paddle click to 2nd, and/or right paddle two seconds for return to auto - return to auto smoother if coming up/out of 2nd gear..

Have fun/practive with it - 90% of MB owner's don't know/experience "MB smooth zoom" - because 90% of sales consultants don't know/own a Mercedes.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:31 AM

In the next couple weeks I will calculate the highway fuel economy manually and report back. Another interesting bit about the GLK is that the glow cycle, although still quick, is a bit longer than it was in my 2011 E350 Bluetec.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:27 PM

2010 BMW 335d, 2013 GLK250
Originally Posted by MBKLUE
No offense taken but not sure how anyone could not understand how to read the the MPG or L/100 km. The average of 72mph and time of almost 2 hours is "bonus" information. Not really relevant if you're looking at combined/average MPG or L/100 km.

And on what basis is 40mpg average reasonable in those conditions? Based on on the computer readout? Going in circles here. Please understand I'm not saying these figures are not/cannot be achieved. Simply I think that people put too much faith in some vehicles calculations and many people in the U.S. believe the EPA is directly determining and providing MPG numbers. Not the case.
I agree that it's not trivial to read and I also agree that the indicated mpg does not represent combined driving. OP never stated that it was a combined mileage. Often times owners make ludicrous claims after looking at the instantaneous mpg or jump to conclusion after only travelling for a short amount of time as you suggested.

In the case of OP the 2 hours at an average of 72mph tells a lot about how he has been driving and the average consumption for that given trip. Looking at his trip computer, it can be concluded that OP travelled close to 100% on the highway over the 2 hour period. The 40mpg indicated is a reasonable and completely achievable average for his trip on the highway. I think that it is in the OP's intention to share his highway mileage.

If you're looking for a real combined city / highway average look for a much lower average speed. An average speed of 20-35mph indicates city driving and higher averages would suggest a mix of city and highway. The computer is still very accurate in this case as you'll start to see the average fuel economy tank to reflect the increase in consumption as your average speed goes down and driving time increases. I have been tracking my fuel mileage using both the trip computer and manual calculation at every fill up for three years now. In my experience the results reported by the trip computer is extremely close if not underestimating the actual calculated mpg.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by EVTee

Exactly my experience with my E350 BT. Computer is a little on the light side.

Just picked up wife's GLK 250. I really like it. Super solid car. Quiet (even with the cargo cover open!). Haven't refilled to check mileage yet but it's going to be good.