2014 GLK 250 bluetec AdBlue warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 04:24 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2014 GLK250
Originally Posted by 107123210
Thanks for that.

I listened to it just once. It would be good to write down the key sequences that the youtube poster used to bypass the error messages.
Yeah but you need some fancy diagnosis software for this to work, right?
Old 09-08-2016, 06:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLK250
Mercedes Benz keeps many secret codes but keeping things running is the ultimate goal.
in some ways my 2014 MB GLK250BT was not equipped with every accessory ...I did not buy off a MB Lot rather waited one month to have the vehicle built with only the things I wanted in Germany.The Salesperson did not pressure me but told me that he got a poor rating because he did not pressure me to purchase everything.He lasted two months at the dealership.
Easiest vehicle I ever bought...As I mentioned before, I do not have big pockets and one visit to their service department taught a big lesson in overcharging for every rag & part they said I needed.Granted if you buy a Mercedes it is expected that a premium will be paid for filters,parts .
Mobil One is Mobil One , MB Filter can be acquired other than the Dealership. I bought Mercedes Brand DEF on-line which was less costly than a dealer refilling my DEF.The location of the place to fill the DEF is not convenient but it has not been a problem.I have gotten a wealth of information,advice from senior Members of the Forum..thanks...
Old 09-08-2016, 08:32 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
GLK250 2014
Originally Posted by Hugo L.
Yeah but you need some fancy diagnosis software for this to work, right?
I don't think so. He was just using his Xentry diagnosis software to show that his method did turn off the trouble codes. It is otherwise not needed.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:44 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2014 GLK250
I don't think so. He was just using his Xentry diagnosis software to show that his method did turn off the trouble codes. It is otherwise not needed.
Ok, I will re-watch it. I pretty much turned my brain off when I saw him fiddling around with his laptop.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK250
Originally Posted by HONDO250
happy ally
In response to your inquiry , I purchased the following Scan tool through Amazon Prime.
Autel AL519 Color Screen OBII/canScan tool
USD $ $66.46
There are other type scan tools on the market but I found the directions easy to understand ,steps are easy to follow. for this particular model. Review the specifications and see if this product will suit your needs.Periodic use of a scan tool can assist with identifying problems before you go for a repair..a back-up to compare what the mechanic technician says...In my case , as stated before ,I was able to solve the check engine problem and used an approved additive to fix the bad diesel fuel...during a cold winter fuel problem. As our diesel vehicles are used in Winter , certain things can be done to get peak performance during Cold Starts.
Wanted to tell you….received my car back after the engine light and 10 starts at around 15k. Invoice says "Updated selective catalytic reduction module software, performed extensive road test, reset Adblue Nox sensors adaption."

I will look into a scan tool. Thank you for your help. :-)
Old 09-23-2016, 05:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLS 350 d 4MATIC
so cool

Last edited by lanrceds; 09-23-2016 at 05:54 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:50 AM

Ml250
What happens when you run out of Starts? Anyone got to that point?
Yes. The car just stops and you'll need to get it towed to a dealer. This happened to my 2012 ml250

I'm in Aus

Cost me well over $7000 to replace/fix. It's now come back "check adbllue" 2 years later

Anyone have a solution yet?
Old 05-13-2019, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 217 Posts
GLK 250
Maybe you need to check the AdBlue level? It needs topping off usually every oil change.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLK250
DEF Check on a regular basis MB 2014 GLK 250

Responding to 2 emails concerning Strategies with adding DEF.
I check and add Blue Def every two weeks approximately one bottle to my reservoir and do not wait until I get a warning of a shut-down.
Checking fluids Oil, Brake, Antifreeze level is done with DEF Check. Though the location for USA Sourced vehicles reservoir location is inconvenient, I check.
I do not wait until DEF becomes low enough that warnings have appeared. The amount of DEF used seems to be greater during the warmer months and always carry two bottles with the adapter.
I refill these bottles with Approved Specification BLUE DEF . I have used Mercedes Brand as well as other approved product Prestone, BluDEF and other brands that meet standards without problems.
Most difficult is the problem with diesel fuel during seasonal change Summer to Winter blends. The MB DEALER charges 3x $$$ for DEF during Maintenance services as well as the $2 shop rag and the $10 fee for WD-40 like spray.
The change and check and do my own cabin filter, air filter, the oil changes using the proper metric tools.If you have a maintenance plan then all power to you.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:05 AM

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
E43AMG
Originally Posted by Kathy Tadros
Yes. The car just stops and you'll need to get it towed to a dealer. This happened to my 2012 ml250

I'm in Aus

Cost me well over $7000 to replace/fix. It's now come back "check adbllue" 2 years later

Anyone have a solution yet?
you may try this plug to tune the AdBlue totally off:
Old 07-30-2019, 11:02 AM

GLK250
2014 GLK250

Originally Posted by lolagirl
Does anyone know if these issues are occurring just in the USA or in all areas where car is being shipped? Are the same cars being retrofit here to meet US air quality standards (that may be more stringent than in other countries)?

The dealer and techs are not talking...social media (this site) is the only place that I have found that I can read about these issues. I am not sure if the issue is just specific to this car and the new twin turbo diesel engine, mb diesels in general or additional add-ons made in the USA during prep.

Please post any known information when fix is found. Thanks.
Greetings from Canada. Yes ... it seems the problem not only happened in the USA and UK, it is same in Canada too.
My 2014 GLK250 (approx 86,000 km) just got this problem two days ago (July 26, 2019). The "Check Additive" message came on. After adding 1 jug of DEF, message remained. Added another bottle, still had message. I read another post and had the same problem .... white smoke came out from exhaust, like a smoke screen. Scary and embarrassing.
Took it to my MB dealer and with luck, ran into a very friendly and helpful Advisor. Apparently, there was a problem with the Adblue Heater. The cost of repairs was covered by MB under "Goodwill Assistance" ... otherwise, it would cost quite a few dollars. Good luck with other MB owners.
Old 01-28-2022, 10:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Mercedes-Benz GLK250
Sorry to bump this older thread. But it seems to have the most reported incidents of the dreaded Ad Blue Warning. I recently got this on my 2015 GLK250. Refilling Ad Blue did nothing to solve it on my own. Most of the issues in this thread are with the vehicle still under warranty, I am past 100,000km so i do not have warranty. But this Ad Blue issue sounds like it should be related to some sort of recall considering how many issues are happening. Was there ever a formal warranty/recall related to the Ad Blue Remaining Starts issue? I need to go to the dealer and do not want to get overcharged for issues that Mercedes should cover themselves it seems.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:13 PM

GLK250
It's called a Field Measure CANADA campaign with the cause being Emissions Update.
https://bluetecupdate.mercedes-benz.ca/en/home
I just had my DPF, Oxidation Cat (SCR) a nox sensor and what they call an exhaust line (I believe a muffer and pipe) plus a major ECU software upgrade all for free. In the fall I paid for two NOX sensors, a DEF system which includes pump and heater that had they not replaced then would have been done under warranty now. Or I'd have been without my vehicle for 6 months. The 4 people in front of me that had this done last and this week all had non operating vehicles.
My 2014 GLK250 had just under 120k km when I first had the continuous CEL. The code reader reported DPF and SCR issues as permanent. A short while after the two nox sensors were replaced the nox sensor error was also permanent.
The USA lawsuit was settled last year in March. This one should be settled Mid February.
Warranty on the parts is at least two years and may even be 4 years. There's also an extra 40k or so too.

Old 01-31-2022, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by jcdammeyer
It's called a Field Measure CANADA campaign with the cause being Emissions Update.
https://bluetecupdate.mercedes-benz.ca/en/home
I just had my DPF, Oxidation Cat (SCR) a nox sensor and what they call an exhaust line (I believe a muffer and pipe) plus a major ECU software upgrade all for free. In the fall I paid for two NOX sensors, a DEF system which includes pump and heater that had they not replaced then would have been done under warranty now. Or I'd have been without my vehicle for 6 months. The 4 people in front of me that had this done last and this week all had non operating vehicles.
My 2014 GLK250 had just under 120k km when I first had the continuous CEL. The code reader reported DPF and SCR issues as permanent. A short while after the two nox sensors were replaced the nox sensor error was also permanent.
The USA lawsuit was settled last year in March. This one should be settled Mid February.
Warranty on the parts is at least two years and may even be 4 years. There's also an extra 40k or so too.
thanks for your reply. Was also thinking that this ad blue issue could possibly be covered under this new field measure service. Surprised to hear that people had their vehicles completely inop before going in for it. I have a hunch that it could be the DEF heater that’s causing my issue, hoping itll be covered though.
Old 01-31-2022, 01:10 PM

GLK250
Originally Posted by GLK250Dude
thanks for your reply. Was also thinking that this ad blue issue could possibly be covered under this new field measure service. Surprised to hear that people had their vehicles completely inop before going in for it. I have a hunch that it could be the DEF heater that’s causing my issue, hoping itll be covered though.
I paid for a new one , two nox sensors and a few other parts to the tune of $4K Cdn. after I'd had their loaner vehicle for at least two weeks. I suspect they already knew that those parts would be covered under warranty but the vehicle was not drivable with clouds of white acrid smoke constantly coming out the tailpipe. The only upside of that was no one tailgated me on the highway.
When I got it back it would still periodically do that but not as often and not as extreme. Eventually that dropped to only a bit.
Now with the field measure it's like new again.

Thing is, $85K / 96 months (8 years) is under $1K per month or $10,625 per year. So as long as service on this 2014 model (bought late summer of 2013) doesn't start costing $10K a year in service I'm still further ahead than paying for a new vehicle. It's when the costs reach that or it becomes unreliable that a new one shoudl be on the horizon. Theoretically I should now get about 5 years on this before the exhaust system fails again. If I put $10K minus service per year into the bank then in 5 years I'll have a decent down payment on a hybrid or electric.
John
Old 02-03-2022, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by jcdammeyer
I paid for a new one , two nox sensors and a few other parts to the tune of $4K Cdn. after I'd had their loaner vehicle for at least two weeks. I suspect they already knew that those parts would be covered under warranty but the vehicle was not drivable with clouds of white acrid smoke constantly coming out the tailpipe. The only upside of that was no one tailgated me on the highway.
When I got it back it would still periodically do that but not as often and not as extreme. Eventually that dropped to only a bit.
Now with the field measure it's like new again.

Thing is, $85K / 96 months (8 years) is under $1K per month or $10,625 per year. So as long as service on this 2014 model (bought late summer of 2013) doesn't start costing $10K a year in service I'm still further ahead than paying for a new vehicle. It's when the costs reach that or it becomes unreliable that a new one shoudl be on the horizon. Theoretically I should now get about 5 years on this before the exhaust system fails again. If I put $10K minus service per year into the bank then in 5 years I'll have a decent down payment on a hybrid or electric.
John
Thanks. Happy to report that the Field Measure recall service did cover my issues regarding the CEL and Adblue starts. CEL for me was Nox sensor, which had been intermittently going off for about a year.