GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

2015 GLK 250 Adblue Remaining Starts 10 message.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2022, 08:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Mercedes-Benz GLK250
2015 GLK 250 Adblue Remaining Starts 10 message.

Hoping for some help here. Message came up today that Adblue remaining starts is at 10. Got my oil change at a local, small shop recently a couple months ago, it’s possible they didn’t refill the ad blue.

Researching online I better get this all fixed before my last remaining starts (now at 8) or the car may not start. Worried the dealer might not be able to book me in soon.

Is it possible that filling ad blue fluid myself may fix this? If so, what product should I use and should I get it from Mercedes Parts? Once filled, should the message go away?

Also, how do I check ad blue level and perform the refill? Easy process?

I also have a check engine light on, I think it was related to a sensor. Keeps coming on and off so I’m monitoring it but haven’t fixed it. I’m booked for the BlueTec settlement service soon, and would really not like to pay for anything repairs or fixes if it’s all going to get replaced for the bluetec settlement service anyway. Do nox or other sensors get replaced with that settlement service anyways?

Last edited by GLK250Dude; 01-27-2022 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
GLK350 2010 Sold C63 AMG 2012 Sedan Sold GLK250 2013
There is a tank in the trunk under the all the plastics. I'd fill it up. If it doesn't clear up your code then i would recommend you book an appointment with the dealer and get your field measure installed under the diesel recall. They might deal with any sensor issues for you for free.
Old 01-28-2022, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 312 Likes on 247 Posts
'17 GLS450, '14 GLK250, Grandpa's Roadster
it’s possible they didn’t refill the ad blue.
Likely, unless you asked them to. Go to any parts store, Wal*Mart, or whatever you have and buy a ~2.5 gallon container of Diesel Exhaust Fluid. Any brand will do, as long as it meets the ISO 22241-1 spec. Pull up the cover where your spare tire would be, if you had one. Pull up the carpet like flooring. You will see the fill cap for the DEF tank. All this should be covered in your owner's manual. It's on page 162 of mine. If the "Add Fluid" message has come on the tank will probably take at least 5 US gallons.
Old 01-28-2022, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 225 Posts
GLK 250
I would also scan the CEL code(s) again, to see if perhaps it's the AdBlue heater that has failed. If so, adding fluid won't do much and the countdown will continue. I'd plan on making a trip to the dealership before that counter gets down to 0, rather than having to tow it there.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by ramo80
There is a tank in the trunk under the all the plastics. I'd fill it up. If it doesn't clear up your code then i would recommend you book an appointment with the dealer and get your field measure installed under the diesel recall. They might deal with any sensor issues for you for free.
Thanks. Filled it up, super easy process. Unfortunately, Ad Blue Starts Remaining still remains which is very annoying. Can't believe my vehicle will get shut off for environmental/emissions issues. Wonder if there's any specific way to turn this off myself.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by John CC
Likely, unless you asked them to. Go to any parts store, Wal*Mart, or whatever you have and buy a ~2.5 gallon container of Diesel Exhaust Fluid. Any brand will do, as long as it meets the ISO 22241-1 spec. Pull up the cover where your spare tire would be, if you had one. Pull up the carpet like flooring. You will see the fill cap for the DEF tank. All this should be covered in your owner's manual. It's on page 162 of mine. If the "Add Fluid" message has come on the tank will probably take at least 5 US gallons.

​​​​​​​Thanks. Was able to fill it. But saw no Fill Line anywhere so just went to the very top, hoping it would trip whatever sensor is giving me this error message. After filling, the error message persists. "Ad Blue Starts Remaining: 6", Very annoying that the message is there, is it supposed to leave or is there a process of resetting the message after doing the DEF fluid top off?
Old 01-28-2022, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by andreigbs
I would also scan the CEL code(s) again, to see if perhaps it's the AdBlue heater that has failed. If so, adding fluid won't do much and the countdown will continue. I'd plan on making a trip to the dealership before that counter gets down to 0, rather than having to tow it there.
I have no scanner, but it seems topping off the Ad Blue has not got rid of the message. I hope it's nothing expensive, very annoying to have to deal with a shut down of my entire vehicle just due to these emissions/environmental components.
Old 01-29-2022, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 312 Likes on 247 Posts
'17 GLS450, '14 GLK250, Grandpa's Roadster
Originally Posted by GLK250Dude
​​​​​​​is there a process of resetting the message after doing the DEF fluid top off?
No, if the level in the tank was the problem, adding a gallon should have reset it.

I have no scanner,
Search for "ELM327". Not the most sophisticated system, but for less than $10 you can't really go wrong. (There's one on EBay for $4 US including shipping from the PRC. I couldn't mail mine to a friend across town for that...)
Old 02-03-2022, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by John CC
No, if the level in the tank was the problem, adding a gallon should have reset it.

Search for "ELM327". Not the most sophisticated system, but for less than $10 you can't really go wrong. (There's one on EBay for $4 US including shipping from the PRC. I couldn't mail mine to a friend across town for that...)
Thanks for the info. You were right. Had to get the who DEF system overhauled under the recall and my errors and CELs got cleared up. Got lucky that it all got covered under the same recall. I'll look up that code checker, seems useful if these GLK's are going to be constantly throwing out CELs, fingers crossed my recent service gives me lots of time before the next CEL.
Old 02-03-2022, 08:04 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
glk
Thanks for the info. You were right. Had to get the who DEF system overhauled under the recall and my errors and CELs got cleared up. Got lucky that it all got covered under the same recall. I'll look up that code checker, seems useful if these GLK's are going to be constantly throwing out CELs, fingers crossed my recent service gives me lots of time before the next CEL.
This is every "out of warranty" GLK250 owners nightmare.. thank god for the AEM fix extended warranty