GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Heated/ventilated seats installed!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 07:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 GLK350
Heated/ventilated seats installed!

I just got the GLK back from the custom shop. They add heated and ventilated seats to all four outboard seating positions. We couldn't match the mocha leather, so we instead matched the door panel black leather for a two-tone look.

They work great!
Attached Thumbnails Heated/ventilated seats installed!-img_20140414_153715.jpg   Heated/ventilated seats installed!-img_20140414_153749.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
100Pyatt (02-29-2024)
Old 04-15-2014, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Mercedes C300 4Matic Sport Sedan
I dig it. Was the factory leather not perforated to begin with?

I installed heated and ventilated seats on my wife's GLK and she loves them, but because the leather was perforated already we didn't have to do anything with the leather. Absolutely worth it.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:46 PM

2014 GLK350
Originally Posted by hondafan
I dig it. Was the factory leather not perforated to begin with?

I installed heated and ventilated seats on my wife's GLK and she loves them, but because the leather was perforated already we didn't have to do anything with the leather. Absolutely worth it.
Wow -- no, ours didn't come with perforated leather. That would have made the job a lot less expensive. The custom shop got tons of samples of leather, but none really perfectly matched the existing mocha, so that's why we went with a shade of black that matches the "leather" on the door panels.

I also had them add remote start from the keyfob, via the Directed MB204D device that someone else here had posted a while back. Totally worth it. You press the panic button for a 1/2 second, and it starts up the car (if you hold down the panic button, it works as normal).
100Pyatt (02-29-2024)
Old 04-15-2014, 01:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2010 Mercedes GLK 350, 2001 BMW Z3 3.0 Roadster, 1997 Cherokee XJ
Basic interior is the MB-Tex material is perforated in the centre, the leather is not. Who does this type of installation & what kit was utilised for the ventilation of the seats? It amazes me that many lesser vehicles (price & quality) offer this option. MB does offer it in other models.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:42 PM

2014 GLK350
Originally Posted by Rascally Wabbit
Basic interior is the MB-Tex material is perforated in the centre, the leather is not. Who does this type of installation & what kit was utilised for the ventilation of the seats? It amazes me that many lesser vehicles (price & quality) offer this option. MB does offer it in other models.
The worst part is, Mercedes *does* offer this option in Europe, and even in Jamaica -- along with tri-zone climate control. I don't understand the rationale for not permitting North Americans to get this option; it's not like a different engine that has to pass emission requirements, etc.

The kit I used was from here:
http://www.championseatheaters.com/content/about.html

If you happen to live in Minnesota, you can even have them do it for you. I'm in Arizona, and had a local custom shop do it, who I can highly recommend:
http://www.autospaofarizona.com/

The kit itself strikes me as similar to those available elsewhere. We had heated rear seats put into a 2005 Cadillac SRX a long time ago, and the controls from memory look identical to what Champion's controls look like.
100Pyatt (03-01-2024)
Old 04-15-2014, 04:59 PM

Thank you for the links! I am in southern Arizona, near Tucson, so you understand my interest in the ventilated seats. So disappointing that MB in their infinite wisdom does not offer certain options in the USA market. IMO the company is missing the boat in this instance.
100Pyatt (03-01-2024)
Old 04-15-2014, 05:18 PM

2014 GLK350
This place is just off US-60, maybe 6-10 miles east of I-10. For all the work I did, it took a week (all four outboard seats, an extra cigarette lighter in the trunk, and the remote start). So if you and a friend can drive up to drop the car off and pick it back up later, it's well worth the trip. The owner, Steve Nappi, and his guys do great work! They were even able to match the factory stitching pattern.

I bought all the equipment ahead of time, and just gave it to him. The price for all the work was $4,500, including the four seats worth of leather, but not including the auto start device and the heaters/coolers themselves, which I bought ahead of time and gave to him.
100Pyatt (03-01-2024)
Old 04-25-2014, 07:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GLK 250
Originally Posted by mikedr
The worst part is, Mercedes *does* offer this option in Europe, and even in Jamaica -- along with tri-zone climate control. I don't understand the rationale for not permitting North Americans to get this option; it's not like a different engine that has to pass emission requirements, etc.
The simple reason, as I was told by a former MB executive, is that Americans prefer to buy their cars with features in packages, generally from a dealer, generally off the lot. In Europe the culture is much more so that you customize the car you want and they build it, but here it's more likely that you pick the packages you want (and often get things you don't need) and they find one with those features on a lot nearby.

Lots of things are offered in the European version of the GLK, such as 8 different engine choices, the diesel heater, SplitView for the screen, air conditioned seats, a front camera that reads speed limit signs, ECO Start Stop on the Diesel, etc, but none of this is available in North America.
100Pyatt (03-01-2024)
Old 04-26-2014, 12:37 PM

Guess I am more European than I thought as my preference would be to order exactly what I want & not select off a lot. If the desire is to keep it OEM, then perhaps one could order the pieces from a supplier in whichever country offered this option & convert the seats. Saw this accomplished on a different model MB successfully.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:51 PM

2014 GLK 250
Guess I am more European than I thought as my preference would be to order exactly what I want & not select off a lot. If the desire is to keep it OEM, then perhaps one could order the pieces from a supplier in whichever country offered this option & convert the seats. Saw this accomplished on a different model MB successfully.
Another important reason is that there are many states where there are laws preventing manufacturers from selling directly to the consumer. They usually have to go through an intermediary, such as a car dealer lot. Tesla Motors is currently going through this problem, as they are trying to offer custom cars sold directly to the consumer.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:18 PM

2014 GLK350
Very much easier said than done ... Believe I tried.
Old 03-01-2024, 02:17 AM

C300 W204 & GLK250 X204
Originally Posted by mikedr
Wow -- no, ours didn't come with perforated leather. That would have made the job a lot less expensive. The custom shop got tons of samples of leather, but none really perfectly matched the existing mocha, so that's why we went with a shade of black that matches the "leather" on the door panels.

I also had them add remote start from the keyfob, via the Directed MB204D device that someone else here had posted a while back. Totally worth it. You press the panic button for a 1/2 second, and it starts up the car (if you hold down the panic button, it works as normal).
Wish you could still get this MB204D device
Old 03-01-2024, 07:00 AM

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
2011 GLK 550
Originally Posted by 100Pyatt
You can, but looks like they're $1000+.

I installed an aftermarket ignition system from AliExpress. Gives me proximity lock/unlock and remote start all for $300

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256801780611627.html
Old 03-04-2024, 02:01 PM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts
2013 SL550, 2016 GLE350, 2016 GLC300
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 100Pyatt
You absolutely can still get this product. It's actually our product that we sold thru directed a while back under that SKU number. We have a more updated version of this remote starter product available now, with factory heated / cooled seats and window defrost that come on automatically based on temperature

Check it out here: SMARTKEY STARTER FOR MERCEDES-BENZ