GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

2013 GLK 250 Blueteck Front Rotor Issues?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 10:30 AM
ON SUSPENSION

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GLK 350
Hi Shawn,

Since we are discovering this may be the course a few of us are going to take as well, why not just replace all 4 rotors instead of spending more time on troubleshooting OR having the okay rotors have a similar issue arise soon? Probably for the time you've already spent on the situation, you would be further ahead to just bit the bullet replace all of the rotors and trade the GLK in... I am almost positive before the end of this year, I will no longer own my 2013 GLK. Anything you buy new, should retain a certain sense of newness and NOT have major issues within a reasonable number of years. My partner has been a dedicated VW owner for his past 5 vehicles. He bought a brand new VW Tiguan a few years ago and has nothing but issues, almost and literally back to back. Include a few very expensive out of pocket expenses as soon as his warranty expired. He is a motor head, so you know he takes care of his care like someone would a baby or child (grin)... So once he decides its time to trade in this VW, he is no longer buying any more VW vehicles, period and I am certain no Audi either due to the issues I have with my higher end vehicle, its not worth it period. Quality goes hand in hand, its either there or its not. Why would I keep a vehicle that will probably cost me an additional $1500.00+ in another year or two due to rotors and brakes? honestly, makes no sense and I am not wasting my time sticking around to find out later.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:12 AM

Honda S2000
On many street compounds, folks forego the bedding process as it can happen naturally over time. However, if you're having warping issues, it can stem from uneven brake pad deposits on the rotors. These cause a vibration, and also change the clamping force of the caliper on the rotor at different points of rotation on the rotor. Over time this can actually temper the rotor material unevenly, creating "hard spots" on the rotor. Once that has happened, no amount of re-planing will save them... they're going to warp.

Long story short, if you're having warping issues, make sure a complete bedding process is done on your rotors to get a good even deposit of brake pad material. This will also improve stopping performance. Note that in conditions where your brake pads often operate below their designed operating temperature, the bedding process may need to be re-done periodically, as the cold brake pads will scrub off the deposit layer over time.

The sticking piston problem mentioned above is also a great one to check; I had that problem on an old VW New Beetle. Boy was it mystifying that a 2700 lb car liked to have rotors at every oil change.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:08 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 GLK350
I have an update. First let me point out again that I have the GLK350 but the rotor problems are common across either engine so I think it's valid.

Let me again say that this is my wife's truck so I don't drive it much so I didn't get around to checking for rotor warping without spontaneously deciding on and purchasing rear rotors. When I finally had the rotors (this past Saturday) I finally checked to see if I could feel wear by running my finger over the outer edge and found no significant wear. I then checked the front, big difference. So long story short, I purchased rear rotors and pads but needed front. If I'd have just checked first...

Anyway, so I returned the rotors but kept pads thinking that at 40k miles I should need pads anyway so what the hay. I had to order the fronts because Advance didn't stock the Wearever rotors and/or pads for the front so I just had them shipped directly to the house. I'm waiting on them now.

Now for the point of this update: Holy Cow! are my pads and rotors trashed on the front. This is the same truck that the imbeciles at MB D'Iberville MS told me that I needed a brake flush without apparently even checking the brakes. My pad is actually visibly CUPPED with the naked eye without even removing the wheel. It doesn't even lay flat against the rotor. And...the rotor has two grooves cut into it right where the center of the pad would rub (the center of the pad that isn't even present). I will take pictures to show you what I am talking about so be patient. It may be this weekend or next before I can do it because we have a baseball tournament in Gulfport this weekend.

If you are having brake problems, visually inspect your pads and rotors. They are so trashed on my 2013 that has 40k miles (I reported the problem to them at about 30k miles) that I can feel and see physical damage with the naked eye without even removing the wheel.

So much for Mercedes quality. I'll be back.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:35 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 AMG GLC43
*UPDATE*

I took my 2013 MB GLK 250 Bluetec back to MB service yesterday. Fo the third time the front rotors of my vehicle were found to be out of spec. Both front rotors and pads were replaced.

This is nuts...

To local MB service's credit they have done all three rotor and pad replacements at no cost. It has all been covered under warrantly. In addition, I have worked with the same service rep each visit and have nothing but positive things to say about his approach and help. The local service dealer here in California OC has been very accomodating as well.

But...come on. I have had rotors replaced at 10,473 miles; 17,119 miles and now at 22,084 miles. At least I am not being fought on this.

However, this time local service asked me three questions they received from MB Corporate (?).

1. How many miles went by before I first noticed this latest issue?
2. Is the issue prevelant at one speed more so than other speeds?
3. What type of driving do you do?

At least I know that MB is beginning the process of defending itself or fighting me.

I asked my service rep what we are going to do about this, that I know I will see him again in short order for the same issue. His reposnse was essentially "I know, hopefuuly MB will have a fix by that time".

Just frustratrating...am I driving a MB or a Chrysler...

Ugh

Jeff
Old 07-23-2014, 11:44 AM

2013 GLK350
At least you were lucky enough to catch and report it early Jeff. It's frustrating, I know.

As I've said before, I have people telling me that it's because I bought an "entry level" Mercedes. They say I should step up to the E or M class. I'll be damned! I bought "entry level" to try it out and see if purchasing a MB was worth the money. The answer is a resounding NO. I'm dang sure not gonna pay $20k more and take the chance that quality and maintenance costs are better. That would be a little illogical.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:04 PM

14 GLK 250 BT
Sorry to hear about the GLK 350/250 brake pads and rotors issues. So thank you ALL for the heads up.

I am a lurker on this thread as I have a 14 GLK 250 B/T.

I just had the 5,000 miles tire rotation and "new car" inspection, meet and greet, eat bagels, Starbucks coffee, etc. @ the local MB dealer (@ 6,100 miles). Brake pad and rotor measurement show virtually no wear and pads were measured (@ 10 MM, specification when new)

Last edited by Rdub; 07-24-2014 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:19 PM

2013 GLK350
It's good to know that they may (and I stress may) have finally fixed the problem (after how many years?). Keep in mind that I don't think EVERY person who owns a GLK complains of the problem so no guarantee that the problem no longer exists. It doesn't help me any since MB chooses to argue that rotor wear and tear is normal, but nonetheless....

It's unfortunate that the decision not to do a few brake jobs will create such a negative perception that people like myself and surely others will base future purchases (or lack thereof) on this poor quality from a brand like Mercedes Benz.

My suggestion to you Rdub is watch it closely. All the way up to 12k miles or 12 months. At the zero hour check them carefully and make sure you see no signs of problems. On Day 364 or Mile 11,999, check them and report any problems.

Last edited by shawnmichael; 07-23-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:11 PM

14 GLK 250 BT
Originally Posted by shawnmichael
It's good to know that they may (and I stress may) have finally fixed the problem (after how many years?). Keep in mind that I don't think EVERY person who owns a GLK complains of the problem so no guarantee that the problem no longer exists. It doesn't help me any since MB chooses to argue that rotor wear and tear is normal, but nonetheless....

It's unfortunate that the decision not to do a few brake jobs will create such a negative perception that people like myself and surely others will base future purchases (or lack thereof) on this poor quality from a brand like Mercedes Benz.

My suggestion to you Rdub is watch it closely. All the way up to 12k miles or 12 months. At the zero hour check them carefully and make sure you see no signs of problems. On Day 364 or Mile 11,999, check them and report any problems.
Yes, and for me it is a no brainer. the first (included) service interval is due. BUT, unless I develop a sticking caliper/s I do not expect much wear off of the 10 mm measured. So far the insides and outsides of all 4 rotor surfaces are as smooth as when it was new.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Golf R, 2014 GLK
This thing engine brakes about as well as most manual transmission vehicles. We hardly ever use the brakes. I can see the rotors lasting at least 100,000 km.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:29 PM

2017 AMG GLC43
LOL....if you lived her in So Cal you'd use those brakes!!!

Thanks everyone for your comments and experiences.

JEff

Originally Posted by koalatm
This thing engine brakes about as well as most manual transmission vehicles. We hardly ever use the brakes. I can see the rotors lasting at least 100,000 km.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:15 AM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 GLK350
More than you wanted to know about rotor warping: https://www.tirerack.com/FAQ/results...ory=Brakes#141

I have had really good luck with cryo treated rotors on vehicles prone to rotor "warping".
Old 07-24-2014, 11:16 AM

2017 AMG GLC43
I actually read that Tire Rack article (correct link: http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/....jsp?techid=85 ) along with several others over the past few months trying to solve this issue.

Jeff

Originally Posted by formerjeepguy
More than you wanted to know about rotor warping: https://www.tirerack.com/FAQ/results...ory=Brakes#141

I have had really good luck with cryo treated rotors on vehicles prone to rotor "warping".
Old 07-31-2014, 10:06 AM

GLK350
I have a 13 GLK which I have had issues with. Firstly, after a week the sunroof exploded on me. MB refused to replace under warranty. $5500 to replace a piece of glass? Secondly, had the rotors replaced at 10k service, warped again by second service and I was told that it was a 'known fault' and was the subject of a recall (I have not seen anything about this officially) and the dealership would order the parts and call me when available. That was nearly two months ago! I think the timing chain replacement is going to have to be done also as it sounds like a diesel on startup. Disappointing issues for such an otherwise great car. Needs the AMG 6.3 twin turbo though
Old 08-21-2014, 10:41 AM

2013 GLK350
I had promised somewhere earlier to do a photo blog post of the rotor swap but when I finally had time to do it, I just did it without pics. I apologize for that. But....I used another poster's pics and instructions and they were spot on. So don't worry, the directions are out there. First thing I will point out is that the full REAR rotor AND pad replacement DID fix my problem. Drives like a dream again. My rotors were warped and gouged and the pads were down to about half of their life. Because the caliper pistons were as extended as they were, the master cylinder actually looked low on fluid, which is likely why MB wanted to sell me a flush.

Bottom line, removing and replacing both rear rotors and pads has put me back to normal. It's hard to believe how much better the truck drives. I think the fact that rotors and pads were worn as bad as they were, there was actually play between caliper pistons and pads and rotors which was causing a little rattly looseness feeling in the steering. Again, much better feel. I will probably do the front soon, but to be honest, I have no squeaking or pulsing so I'm not sure there's much of a need just yet. And for the record, for anyone wanting to know about longevity in the future, I installed Wearever rotors and pads from Advance.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:41 AM

2017 AMG GLC43
Getting ready to go in for the 4th repair of front rotors.........Im at a loss. I don't want teh lemon hassle. Ugh.........
Old 09-22-2014, 08:43 AM

2013 GLK350
I say do like I did....give up ALL hope on MB.

Assume that they are either incompetent or have bad quality parts and fix it yourself. I think it cost me well under $200 to replace rotors and pads. Very minimal additional parts are required. (You will need a new T-bit to get the rotor off)

After 5-10k miles they seem to be doing great. Just get your parts from Advance Auto Parts and you don't even need to get the high end. You may have to find a store across town that stocks them but even if they don't, they will order and have them delivered.

Then....put MB on your DO-NOT-BUY list.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:56 PM

2017 AMG GLC43
GLK 250 Bluetek Rotor Issues - continuing

Just picked my 2013 GLK 250 Bluetek up from the dealership.

Again, very nice folks and they are doing their best I guess to fix this problem.

To their credit, NO CHARGES incurred - even though I just had my 4th ROTOR REPLACEMENT IN THE 15 MONTHS AND 25, 000 MILES i'VE OWNED THIS CAR.

Up to this time, everything has been front rotor oriented and all picked up by MB under warranty. Though they do make a point of tellimg me that pads are not covered under warranty but they made a exception to cover the pad replacements as well (if my rotors weren't warped the pads would probably be fine! LOL).

This time, the diagnosis was rear rotors warped. Left rear out of spec by 4/.001 and right rear by 5/.001. Amazing what a difference that small a measurement can make.

So far, and only been about 10 miles, everything seems good.

I'll let everyone know as I put a few more miles on.

Regards,

Jeff

Originally Posted by jeffzou
Getting ready to go in for the 4th repair of front rotors.........Im at a loss. I don't want teh lemon hassle. Ugh.........
Old 11-14-2014, 11:42 AM

2017 AMG GLC43
5th Service for rotor issues....Lemon Law Initiated

Took the GLK back to dealer last night for some issue (5th time). Only got 1,800 miles this time before the issues of chattering brakes started up again. I've written up my request to MB America asking for a Lemon Law repurchase.

I am so disappointed in this car and the experience.

Jeff

Originally Posted by jeffzou
Just picked my 2013 GLK 250 Bluetek up from the dealership.

Again, very nice folks and they are doing their best I guess to fix this problem.

To their credit, NO CHARGES incurred - even though I just had my 4th ROTOR REPLACEMENT IN THE 15 MONTHS AND 25, 000 MILES i'VE OWNED THIS CAR.

Up to this time, everything has been front rotor oriented and all picked up by MB under warranty. Though they do make a point of tellimg me that pads are not covered under warranty but they made a exception to cover the pad replacements as well (if my rotors weren't warped the pads would probably be fine! LOL).

This time, the diagnosis was rear rotors warped. Left rear out of spec by 4/.001 and right rear by 5/.001. Amazing what a difference that small a measurement can make.

So far, and only been about 10 miles, everything seems good.

I'll let everyone know as I put a few more miles on.

Regards,

Jeff
Old 11-15-2014, 10:32 AM

2017 AMG GLC43
Rotors again

Confirmed. 4th set of rotors replaced on the front end with one set on the backl. 5 rotor repairs in just over 25,000 miles.

We will see where this goes.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK350 4-Matic & 2003 E320
Thank-you for the constant updates. Sorry to hear about your brake problems.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:56 AM

2017 AMG GLC43
Lemon Law Success

MB has agreed to buy back my 2013 GLK 250 Bluetek. brake rotor warping issues.

I must say I am very disappointeed as I truly loved so many aspects of this car. But, enough was enough.

MB was first rate all the way in the process of initiating a Lemon buyback. Absolutely timely and without any of the hassles I expected.

I guess I should wait until I get my official offer letter sometie next week though.

I don't know what car to get next though...............

Jeff
Old 05-13-2017, 01:43 PM

2009 E350, 2015 GLK350 4Matic
Wanted to pile on this old thread for anyone else reading that my wife's 2015 GLK is about to go in for its second set of rotors. The car has 11K miles on it. The first time they were replaced at 7K miles and the service advisor had the gall to tell my wife she wasn't DRIVING HER CAR ENOUGH AND NOT DRIVING IT AT LEAST TWICE PER WEEK CAN DAMAGE ROTORS.

I'll be bringing it in this time. Between the GLA250 that almost killed her twice because THE ENGINE SHUT OFF WHILE DRIVING AT 40MPH [thank God not on a highway or she would be dead] that we traded in at 1400 miles after its "second successful repair of the issue" [lemon law requires 3 times but dealer goodwill traded it for us] and the second set of warped rotors on this bad boy, I'm through with Benz. They make scheisse now and should be ashamed of themselves. I've driven Porsche, Audi, VWs as dailies for my whole life and never again will I put a dollar into a Mercedes built after the mid 90s.

Bye MB after this lease, it's been a crap experience!