GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK handle shakes when step on brake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK350
Unhappy GLK handle shakes when step on brake

Hello, this is first time posting because I don't know where to ask my car's issue.
2015 GLK, living city, Fwy drive 2-3 times a month, mileage 22,000/2 year and 10 month, using car for usual routine(neighborhood), Weather:Los Angeles

I have GLK 2015 year, like I said in the title handle shakes when it slowing down speeding over 50 miles.
This happening 2nd time. Last time was about year ago, I took to the dealership to fix it because under warranty.

They said changed disc and brake pad 1st incident.

It was ok for while.

I felt again about 3~4 month ago little by little, but I don't feel everyday because I don't drive Fwy everyday.
I had trip for about 1month and came back so it's in the service.

this is 2nd incident
The service said they couldn't find new reason. They are going to fix same way as they did last time but I have to pay $490 parts this time.
They said 1st time fixed wasn't cover 1 year parts warranty.
Customer have to pay the part this time because they couldn't find defective.

I spoke with another mechanic from outside of mercedes said it might carriper (?) or brake pressure doesn't release from the pad that why they (it might hard to fix it) but they don't want to tell me if it's not fixable.

I'm not sure why they can't find real reason why.

I asked dealer "What if same things happened after 8month drove?"

He said this time parts is under warranty because customer paid.
But that is not my point. I don't want same problem over and over every 6-8month drive my car. That considering as defective car.

my questions are:

1. is it parts NOT under warranty if I use warranty to fix?
2. What is real problem handles shakes comes back over and over after certain miles drive? can you tell me possible reasons?

Thank you-Maggie

Last edited by Maki Meza; 04-13-2017 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:26 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
10 GLK350/ 15 Accord/ 94 Supra Turbo
could be:
warped brake rotors
sticking calipers causing the warped rotors
wheels out of alignment

if you ride your brakes then most likely it is your rotors.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Bedding in new brake (pads) and rotors

Did they explain to you that when you get new pads and rotors you have to bed them in properly? Did they explain the procedure to you?
What size wheels and tires do you have and are they balanced?
Did you buy the car new?
Check with Racingbrakes.com to see if they have a replacement. I use these on my AMG and they are faultless but you have to bed them in. I think they are in California.
MB brake are notorious for warping.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:08 PM

Received 239 Likes on 152 Posts
'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
Originally Posted by grane
MB brake are notorious for warping.
Could also be due to inadequate cool-down after heavy braking causing heat soak into a small section of the rotor under the pads. This can change the temper in that section of the pad, leading to different coefficient of friction there. This is a common problem/situation at driving schools and races when coming in after hot laps and parking the vehicle.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 213 Likes on 195 Posts
2013 glk 350
Originally Posted by slk55er
Could also be due to inadequate cool-down after heavy braking causing heat soak into a small section of the rotor under the pads. This can change the temper in that section of the pad, leading to different coefficient of friction there. This is a common problem/situation at driving schools and races when coming in after hot laps and parking the vehicle.
I believe this is the issue, or , it's not a sports car. I used to live and drive a highway that had stop lights installed every mile or so. I would drive up to 55-65, then hope to make the green. After warping a few rotors from fast stopping I realized the issue of ,, Cool Down Soak , and my fast style of driving destroyed my rotors. Slow Down Easily, now I even put it into neutral or keep rolling , to not have Heat Soak into pads . It's your driving style, or the roads you live with
Old 05-06-2017, 04:46 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
CLS550
RacingBrake has a solution to end this repeated warping rotor issue, and save your hassles in bringing your GLK to dealers and replace a new OE rotor under warranty which we know is going to warp again until warranty expired...

RB two piece rotors are made with alloyed cast iron and heat-treated, so you can run it the way you like and are used to; w/o these suggested per-cautions, and they can provide you the stopping power you need against any mal-fuction including warpage.

Design is up.

We need at least 5 people to commit to pre-orders before we make them available with 6 weeks leadtime, and all pre-orders will receive "Free Shipping"

RB two piece rotors are designed and made for a 100% bolt on installation not only they can improve the performance and durability but can also save you 5.2 lbs per rotor or 10.4 lbs per axle.

If the response is positive we will add to our website for ordering.

Testimonial on RB two piece light weight rotors for an E63 customer (Incl. Spirited /HPDE drivng) lasting more than 100,000 miles & 5 years before replacement is needed.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ml#post5357520

Not only it's the most durable rotors ever installed for E63 but you don't see that many brake mfgr/supplier lasts longer than 5 years nowadays.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G350 Bluetec
My positive experience with Racing Brakes on a CL55

Originally Posted by RacingBrake
RacingBrake has a solution to end this repeated warping rotor issue, and save your hassles in bringing your GLK to dealers and replace a new OE rotor under warranty which we know is going to warp again until warranty expired...

RB two piece rotors are made with alloyed cast iron and heat-treated, so you can run it the way you like and are used to; w/o these suggested per-cautions, and they can provide you the stopping power you need against any mal-fuction including warpage.

Not only it's the most durable rotors ever installed for E63 but you don't see that many brake mfgr/supplier lasts longer than 5 years nowadays.
I've had my RB front and rear on a CL55 with stock pads for over 5 years. Before that I had them on my Acura Legend, and my NSX series 2.

I've had NOTHING but positive experiences with RB over the years. I don't do any racing but I do drive the CL55 in a spirited fashion. Also, because of the lousy drivers around here, many who have never driven before or live in the Metro area bringing the Volvo 540 out of the barn in the summer, and the frequency of deer, I often have to go from 55 to zero NOW.

The pads are still fine but getting a bit dusty, but the RBs look almost new. One can feel the difference in weight on the suspension and braking distance. The car handles much more smoothly than with the heavy stock setup. When I drive in the "Comfort" position it handles better than the car did with the stock brakes in the "Sport" position - lesser unsprung weight.

As far as braking distance goes there is a spot near Lime Rock Park (I live seven miles away) where it is hard to see the Stop Sign at a cross roads. Years ago I had to do an emergency stop there with the NSX/RB combo. With the RB on the CL55, I did a test to see if the distance would be the same with my RB - remember the CL55 is much heavier than the NSX. It was roughly the same distance.

Finally, the lower unsprung weight reduces the wear and tear on the shocks and other front end components that are not covered under extended warranties.

I would strongly urge members to take advantage of the RB group buy. I am a disinterested party - not a paid hack!

Last edited by grane; 05-08-2017 at 07:11 PM. Reason: clarity
The following users liked this post:
RacingBrake (05-07-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 213 Likes on 195 Posts
2013 glk 350
Interesting , a sales pitch, and magically out of nowhere an endorsement , sounds like bs to me. Come back when you have a review of your "superior" product from a reputable publication.
Old 05-07-2017, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G350 Bluetec
Forgot to take your meds?

Originally Posted by Mmr1
Interesting , a sales pitch, and magically out of nowhere an endorsement , sounds like bs to me. Come back when you have a review of your "superior" product from a reputable publication.
I've been on this forum since 2007. Warren and RB have been making superior products based on several patents well before you or I joined. Do you have any facts that contradict the experience of the member who has the E63? What do you consider a "reputable publication"? If you believe that endorsements "magically appear", such irrationality cannot be disproven with logical statements, findings, and facts.

Maybe you should search RB's website, this website and learn before posting such an ignorant and rude statement.
The following 2 users liked this post by grane:
RacingBrake (05-07-2017), raymond g- (05-07-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Originally Posted by Mmr1
Someone with a positive experience and 1300 posts here isn't "reputable"? How about 3500? No? It's not "magic" that extremely happy RB customers happen to want to defend them from unwarranted negativity.

I was one of the first to test their BBK for the W204 C63 (and I paid for it, so there's nothing in this for me to give them a good word). Warren has always been, and continues to be, absolutely first-class to work with. He stands by his products, and works with his customers to find the best fit for their purpose.

I track my car HARD and frequently at high-speed tracks across the eastern US, and the RB BBK has taken all the punishment I can give it without any problem. I probably actually have too much brake now, which is never a bad thing at all.

I don't know what else you want to hear. RB makes a great product at a reasonable price, and you can see reviews for yourself both here and across the internet. What is a "reputable publication"? Are you not going to be happy until you see them written up in Road & Track? I always give honest and totally straight reviews of the equipment I try, and I go through a lot of it.

I know this isn't supposed to be a vendor advertisement, but RB rotors are better and cheaper than stock, so it seems like a solution to the OP's problem. Unless I'm missing something?

Last edited by BLKROKT; 05-08-2017 at 04:35 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BLKROKT:
grane (05-08-2017), RacingBrake (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 507 with BS Body; 2008 SLK 55
Same here - if you want to know facts, go to the C63 Forum for example. Blkrkt and I were the first upgrading our already good stock brakes to the larger RB brakes and the difference is amazing - including rotor life and cost to replace (on RB rotors you only replace the outer ring, not the whole rotor/hub assembly). They are cheaper to run over timer and better.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ml#post7141055
RacingBrake (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 07:54 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550
Thanks for sharing "Wobble64" and "BLKROKT", outside MB World just to add some brake kits we recently added to our brake offer:

Camaro 2017 G6 ZL1 (650 HP) (390x36 / 365x28mm)
http://www.racingbrake.com/ProductDe...Code=GM-IRK-15

Mustang Shelby 2017 GT350 (526 HP) (394x36 / 380x28mm)
http://www.racingbrake.com/RB-Front-...for-irk-07.htm

Dodge Hellcat 2016 (707 HP) (390x34 / 350x28mm)
http://www.racingbrake.com/RB-Iron-R...dod-irk-05.htm

And not mention we offer more CCM to iron rotor conversion for Corvette ZR1, Z28, Porsche 991, Ferrari F458 etc. than all competitions combined.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:59 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550
I should have also included Mercedes's GT S; 503 HP (390x36 / 360x26mm). Same rotors also serve for C63 S, SL63 and SL65 (2014+)

http://www.racingbrake.com/RB-Iron-R.../mb-irk-12.htm
Old 05-09-2017, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Another satisfied RB customer here. I have RB rotors on the C63 (in OEM size - so this is more of an apples-to-apples comparison) and now on one of the P-cars as well. They can certainly withstand track use better than the OEM rotors, with considerably hotter pads to boot. The Mercedes 2-piece rotors on the C63 warped after two track days, but the RBs are taking the abuse in stride.
RacingBrake (05-10-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 E350, 2015 GLK350 4Matic
Welcome to the "GLK brakes are crap warped rotors club". We have many members. 2 sets in 11K miles for me.