GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

DIY - 250BT Oil Change and DEF Refill

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 08:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK250-BT
DIY - 250BT Oil Change and DEF Refill

I completed the first oil change and DEF refill today on my 2013 250BT. They were relatively simple procedures but they took a little longer due to some blunders on my part.

First off, tools required:

8 mm socket- to remove mid plastic guard
13 mm socket - to remove oil drain plug
22 mm socket - fits over oil filter wrench
Oil filter wrench - MB Part #103-589-02-0900

Parts:

Oil Filter - MB Part # 651-180-01-09
Mobile 1ESP 5W30 (7 litres) - MB Part # Q-6-02-0649
AdBlue/DEF1.89 litre - MB Part # 000-583-0107 (one-time purchase, you will reuse the empty container to fill the tank)
Bulk DEF(Available at various parts stores)

Miscellaneous:

Rubber Gloves
Paper Towels
Mityvac or drain pan
Safety Glasses

Now on to the procedures:

Oil Change:

1) Start off by ensuring that the oil is warm (I find that the oil extracts/drains easier when warm). Go for a ride and ensure it has been brought up to operating temperature. Let the vehicle sit for 15-20 min to ensure you are not dealing with scalding oil.

2) I started off attempting to vacuum (Mityvac) the oil out from the top, but only managed to extract about 5 litres. I highly recommend that you forego attempting to extract the oil from the top IF you are concerned about ensuring all the oil is drained. Try as I might, I couldn't get more than about 5 litres out of the top!

3) Plan B - drain oil from the bottom

4) I found that I didn't need ramps to get under the vehicle but to get some extra clearance, I positioned the front wheels on 2 inch concrete slabs. Just drive slowly up on the slabs then chock the rear wheels for safety.

5) Remove the mid plastic guard with an 8 mm socket - there are 8 fasteners (if I recall correctly) that need to be removed - 4 are located up towards the front, 2 in a recessed well and two towards the back (I made a mistake by removing the rear guard instead of the middle plastic guard and after some probing around I couldn't locate a drain plug so I knew I had removed the wrong panel)

6) Locate and loosen the oil drain plug with a 13 mm socket but do not remove until you have the oil catch pan positioned well over from the centre point. I had some difficulty locating the drain plug as the drain pan on the GLK doesn't resemble your conventional pan. There are many nuts below that may resemble a drain plug so be very careful. Loosen the oil filler cap in the engine compartment to help with flow.

7) While oil is draining, remove the engine cover to gain access to the oil filter cover. Unscrew the plastic fastener at front of cover using a large slotted driver.Slide engine cover towards the front and it should release from the two rear tabs.

8) Position the oil filter wrench over the oil filter cover and ensure it is properly seated. A 22 mm socket with an extension fits on the filter wrench, turn counter-clockwise to remove. The cover and filter should come off together once removed.

9) The filter is friction-fit on the oil cover assembly. Grab the filter and give it a good tug to remove. Lubricate and replace all the included O-rings and reinstall the filter cover.

10) Reinsert the drain plug - do not over-tighten (I reused the copper crush washer since I neglected to pick one up when I purchased the parts)

11) Fill engine with 6.5 litres of Mobile 1 ESP oil.

12) Start engine and check for leaks - if no leaks, replace engine cover and plastic under-body panel in reverse order.

13) Reset the service indicator

DEF Refill:

I followed the user guide provided by another forum member.

If you avoid some of the errors I made by removing the rear under body cover, I reckon you can get the complete job done in about 30 minutes.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by symphony; 04-20-2014 at 07:33 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
14 GLK 250 BT
Yes it does help a lot ! On a (new to me) 14 GLK 250 BT, without removing the engine cover, I have looked twice for the oil dipstick and either it is hiding in my plain sight or is tucked under the engine cover? The oem owners manual shows a GASSER's dipstick and the diesels' oil dip stick does not seem to be there. (towards the rear of the engine cover)

https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...efill-diy.html

Was this one of the DEF DIY procedures you followed?

Last edited by Rdub; 04-20-2014 at 01:45 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:20 AM

GLK250 BlueTec- 2014
Fantastic ! - great help

Originally Posted by symphony
I completed the first oil change and DEF refill today on my 2013 250BT. They were relatively simple procedures but they took a little longer due to some blunders on my part....................... Hope this helps.

This is great to see.....Much appreciated.
Any chance of Pic?
(pictures often say 1000s of words!)

Thanks again
Mike
Old 04-20-2014, 04:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
07 Duramax Dually, 04 XC70, 14 GLK 250.
14 GLK250 BT Dipstick

The sales guy that delivered the car to me said there was no dipstick on the diesel well here it is and i have Checked the engine oil level its the right one left side rear of engine cover.

hope this helps.

DIY - 250BT Oil Change and DEF Refill-img_6514.jpg

DIY - 250BT Oil Change and DEF Refill-img_6515.jpg14 GLK250 BT Dipstick
Old 05-14-2015, 11:05 AM

glk250
I think he meant to say that there is no transmission dipstick.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
07 Duramax Dually, 04 XC70, 14 GLK 250.
No he meant engine, while we had the hood open on our walk round I said to him", " where is the engine oil dipstick " he said "there is no dipstick your service reminder tells you when the engine oil is low".

He was wrong there is a dipstick. For the Diesel engine.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Originally Posted by ronwp
No he meant engine, while we had the hood open on our walk round I said to him", " where is the engine oil dipstick " he said "there is no dipstick your service reminder tells you when the engine oil is low".

He was wrong there is a dipstick. For the Diesel engine.
Apparently there is a dipstick at your dealer as well...