GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Left air vent replacement?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK350
Left air vent replacement?

The little chrome/black tab that adjusts the air vent position broke and it just flops around and can't adjust the left right movement. Do I have to replace the whole vent assembly? If so, does the assembly just pop out from the dash or ?

Where is the best place to buy a trim part like this? I've had my GLK350 for a couple of years but other than the 10K services, never had to do any repairs. It's got 63K on it so past the factory warranty.

I'm used to buying parts and accessories for my old BMW E30, but the GLK is my first Benz...
Old 06-28-2014, 09:38 PM

1975 450SLC 2012 GLK350
The vent has to be pulled out and replaced. It requires all the wood grain pieces around the steering wheel to be popped off. They come off easily, simple tension brackets hold them. The biggest problem is that the center vent needs to come off too, which can be achieved, just requires a bit of pulling and before it comes out make sure you push the plastic bezel back into place that surrounds the LCD screen, since there's a few plastic clips that hold it to the vent, it will want to come off with the vent.

Not to mention the black plastic bezel around the instrument/odometer panel. Seems crazy, but I've done it before. If you attempt this it's best to use plastic tools, the plastic bezel around the instrument panel comes off from the top first. It's important to not crack any plastic tabs, otherwise things will creak. I'd also tape off any part of the dashboard, soft part with painters tape, even the plastic tools can scrape it and leave scratches.

It's a bit of work, the pic shows why. If there weren't the extra clips that actually sit behind the bezel around the instrument panel, it would be a simpler removal process.
Attached Thumbnails Left air vent replacement?-vent.jpg  

Last edited by Scadobe; 06-28-2014 at 09:52 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 06-30-2014, 09:38 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
My left and center ones broke at about 30k miles. Dealer replaced under warranty. If you are still under warranty get the dealer to do it.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:29 PM

2012 GLK350 4Matic
Here is a cheap way to fix this problem that works:

http://www.venttabs.com/