GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Chrome Handle Inserts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Mercedes-Benz GLK350
Chrome Handle Inserts

Hi Can anyone explain to me how to install the chrome handle inserts? Or even better share a video on how to do it? I have no idea how to do it and I need some major help! Anything is appreciated.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:12 PM

GLK
Originally Posted by Barr6560
Hi Can anyone explain to me how to install the chrome handle inserts? Or even better share a video on how to do it? I have no idea how to do it and I need some major help! Anything is appreciated.
I'm assuming it's just double sided tape.
I just got my wife a GLK and it has them. I'm planning on taking them off as my wife doesn't like all the chrome.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:00 AM

Hi, yea you are right but how do I get the inserts inside of the handle? haha I just can't get them inside to even stick if you know what I mean? And I actually bought them myself. I do like the LITTLE bit of chrome the car has. I feel like it gives it a classier look, but to all their own opinion. But anyways if you can help explain how to get them in, would be awesome. I know the instructions say to pull the handle, but even then I'm having a hard time.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:25 AM

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts
yes
Hi, yea you are right but how do I get the inserts inside of the handle? haha I just can't get them inside to even stick if you know what I mean? And I actually bought them myself. I do like the LITTLE bit of chrome the car has. I feel like it gives it a classier look, but to all their own opinion. But anyways if you can help explain how to get them in, would be awesome. I know the instructions say to pull the handle, but even then I'm having a hard time.
I bought the set and after "offering them up" to the door handle I was CERTAIN they were the wrong part. Took it to M-B and one of the techs put one on for me. Took him quite a while to figure it out. All I can say is he did lots of tilting and turning of the insert and then it finally went in with a bit of pressure. Haven't gotten around to doing the other three myself....
Old 08-13-2014, 11:46 AM

Haha oh man, well I guess I'll just try to get them in, if not i'll just return them lol. Or possibly my older brother can get them in for me. Thanks for the reply though! I thought I was the only one struggling with those dang handle inserts.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:54 AM

yes
Haha oh man, well I guess I'll just try to get them in, if not i'll just return them lol. Or possibly my older brother can get them in for me. Thanks for the reply though! I thought I was the only one struggling with those dang handle inserts.
I remember it was a tough fit. The tech peeled back a corner of the double stick tape and once he had the insert more or less in place then he pulled off the tape by grabbing the "lifted" end. Also, locked the car door, of course, so it wouldn't open/move.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by MBKLUE
I remember it was a tough fit. The tech peeled back a corner of the double stick tape and once he had the insert more or less in place then he pulled off the tape by grabbing the "lifted" end. Also, locked the car door, of course, so it wouldn't open/move.
My Dad actually put them on in like 5min literally lol! He's a pro. At first he said they didn't fit, but after a couple of seconds he got it. Here is a pic.. not the best but you can see them.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:10 AM

Last edited by dk3494fjKbaredk; 08-18-2014 at 11:22 AM. Reason: I accidentally posted twice please delete
Old 08-18-2014, 11:25 AM

yes
My Dad actually put them on in like 5min literally lol! He's a pro. At first he said they didn't fit, but after a couple of seconds he got it. Here is a pic.. not the best but you can see them.

Looking good! Nice contrast to the body color.

Maybe it just takes another set of eyes or differences in the way some brains analyze things - space, direction, geometric shapes etc. Personally, I'm pretty horrible at directions (as in driving).

Send your dad over this way when he has some free time :-)
Old 08-18-2014, 11:32 AM

Thank You! & yes exactly I was afraid it was going to look a bit tacky.. but no I actually really like it! I was like wow.. that was fast! Next I might Tint the two front windows
Old 08-26-2014, 08:12 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
GLK250 2014
Originally Posted by MBKLUE
I did my own. Unfortunately no video

What I recall, is that the inserts are not all the same. First need to figure out which one goes where.

As MBKlUE said, you need to lift a small part of the foam tape,backing in two places in a way that it will protrude upwards when the insert is in place.

You need to lift the handle and slide the insert over it into place. Once in position, you pull the backing tab that you made so that the tape is fully exposed, then push the inserts into place.

First one took me a while to figure out. Then others went smoothly.

I like the look and they will stop the doors from getting scratched.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:45 AM

thank you for your reply! as mentioned above my father was able to put them on in about 5 min. it was pretty easy after the first