GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

2012 GLK 350 revving high on initial start up?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 350
2012 GLK 350 revving high on initial start up?

Hi all,

My wife picked up a 2012 GLK 350 last December, the 2wd version. I've noticed on occasion when she starts it that it seems like the engine will rev up very high for a few seconds right after the initial start up.

At least I think it's the engine, that or these things have an extremely loud fan that cranks up on first start. I've only noticed it when I've been standing outside the vehicle and it seems like it only happens on occasion. I haven't really done any thorough testing or experimenting, just something I noticed.

Is this normal?

Not sure if I provided enough details for you guys or not, let me know if you need more information.

Thanks,

Beorn

Last edited by Beornls; 08-21-2014 at 12:17 PM. Reason: added few more details
Old 08-22-2014, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK350
Originally Posted by Beornls
Hi all,

My wife picked up a 2012 GLK 350 last December, the 2wd version. I've noticed on occasion when she starts it that it seems like the engine will rev up very high for a few seconds right after the initial start up.

At least I think it's the engine, that or these things have an extremely loud fan that cranks up on first start. I've only noticed it when I've been standing outside the vehicle and it seems like it only happens on occasion. I haven't really done any thorough testing or experimenting, just something I noticed.

Is this normal?

Not sure if I provided enough details for you guys or not, let me know if you need more information.

Thanks,

Beorn
Maybe if you take a video of the issue someone can troubleshoot it better? I have a 2010 which has the same engine as a 2012, RWD, and it doesn't rev much on startup, however perhaps in very low temperatures it does? Just a thought. My idle is ~500-600 RPM, but on startup it's closer to 1000 for the first 30 seconds.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Golf R, 2014 GLK
For sure, need a video of the tachometer to know for sure. Most vehicles do over-rev during start-up to warm the catalytic converters more quickly so that the emissions controls do their job as quickly as possible.

You see it more on Japanese vehicles. Any Honda or Toyota I've ever owned would always rev to 2-3k for the first few minutes and if it was an automatic trans. it would hold a lower gear until everything was at operating temp.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
When the car is cold the fan will not run. Also when you start the car cold it will always rev to about 1-1.5 K RPM's and in a couple of seconds slowly works its way down to about 600 RPM's. When warm it will go up to about 1000 RPM's and come down quickly. That's normal. If you are going much over that it would be out of the norm. What does it rev up to?