Auto light flash feature??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 07:24 AM

Received 187 Likes on 120 Posts
SL 400
Auto light flash feature??

Hello all,

Just curious if you have any ideas about this, because I can't seem to find anything in my owners manual.

As I was coming out of the movies last night (dark, and raining) we were walking to the GLK when something weird, but cool happened. The lights on the GLK flashed as we got closer to it. Now before you think I hit the button by mistake, I am sure I did not. I simply grabbed the key out of my pocked, and then I saw the lights flash a few seconds later.

The first thing I said to my wife was, "I didn't push the button, but the lights flashed" My wife then said that she had seen that happen to her before too, and she was also sure she didn't push the button on the fob.

Is there some safety feature in our cars that I didn't know about that helps you find the car at night or something? Maybe if you get within a certain distance the cars lights flash to help you find your vehicle, without setting off the loud alarm?
If so that is pretty cool.

Now I have not seen this feature happen before last night, and I have been parked many times at night. The only thing I have done different to the GLK over the last few months is changed the door unlock feature to only unlock the drivers door at first key fob button push, and then passengers with a second button push, because my wife is alone sometimes, and I didn't want anyone trying to jump in the passenger side as she was getting in.

I thought maybe changing that setting, also changed activated the light flash setting? Anyway, it was raining so I did not have time to try and duplicate the light flash by going back in the building, and then coming out again.

Any ideas???
Old 11-17-2014, 10:02 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
Was it locked when you got there? If it only flashed, you probably did hit the lock button. If you had hit the unlock, the lights would have stayed on.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK350
My guess its the rain hitting the door handles that is causing the lights to flash. When you are far away, nothing happens because the key is too far away. As you get closer, the car "sees" the key, and that combines with the rain water hitting the door handles unlock the car and flash the lights.

You can see this when you wash your car too. If your key is in your pocket, the car will lock/unlock when you spray water on or near the door handles.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:52 PM

SL 400
Originally Posted by bop11
Was it locked when you got there? If it only flashed, you probably did hit the lock button. If you had hit the unlock, the lights would have stayed on.
That is a good question. I do not remember. It is suppose to rain more this week, so I will try to duplicate this event on the next rainy night.

Originally Posted by First_Benz
My guess its the rain hitting the door handles that is causing the lights to flash. When you are far away, nothing happens because the key is too far away. As you get closer, the car "sees" the key, and that combines with the rain water hitting the door handles unlock the car and flash the lights.

You can see this when you wash your car too. If your key is in your pocket, the car will lock/unlock when you spray water on or near the door handles.
Hmmmm, seems like that is possible. As with the other reply, I will also try to duplicate that scenario. This sure has got me thinking though.

Last edited by ThatsMyDawg; 11-18-2014 at 07:16 AM.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
What year GLK is it?
Old 11-18-2014, 07:15 AM

SL 400
Originally Posted by MKenM
What year GLK is it?
Old 11-18-2014, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
My 2011 has never done that.

If you had hit the unlock button the horn would have sounded as well, so if it didn't something else is going on but I don't know what...
Old 11-19-2014, 01:28 AM

2011 GLK 350
Originally Posted by rmfnla
My 2011 has never done that.

If you had hit the unlock button the horn would have sounded as well, so if it didn't something else is going on but I don't know what...
By the way, the horn sound can be disabled as well. So...
Old 11-19-2014, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Originally Posted by Mystic2k
By the way, the horn sound can be disabled as well. So...
I've been meaning to check out how to do that; too much noise in the world...
Old 11-19-2014, 12:15 PM

2012 MB GLK350
Originally Posted by rmfnla
I've been meaning to check out how to do that; too much noise in the world...

go to the CONVENIENCE menu and DISABLE (I just did this last night)

Last edited by kromdom; 11-19-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kromdom
go to the CONVENIENCE menu and DISABLE (I just did this last night)
So it's global for all keys; I'll need to check with my wife since she uses the car at aleast as often as I.

On our Infiniti you turn it off on the fob, so each driver can have it their way.

Thanks for the info...