GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Paddle shifters

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 02:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB 2013 GLK350, BMW 2007 X5
Question Paddle shifters

I drive a 2013 MB GLK350. Can someone please explain how to properly use the paddle shifters? I'll be completely honest and say I have never driven a manual, and have had a small panic attack when I had accidentally pushed on one of the paddles resulting in a change to manual while in the middle of driving on the highway

Should I be looking at my tachometer or speedometer when I am shifting?
Adding to that, at what RPM or km/h am I to upshift/downshift?

Is shifting at these intervals different if I was driving a different kind of luxury SUV?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions. I've gotten quite familiar with my vehicle these past 2 years except the paddle shifters which is so embarrassing I appreciate the help!
Old 11-24-2015, 09:52 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
I sounds like you like to have an automatic and just forget about shifting. That's ok! The GLK used to have basically the same features with the console mounted shifter. You could push the shift bar to the left and then manually shift up or down gears. Mercedes changed the center shifter to the present setup with paddles and shift selector on the steering column.

Here is a good article about paddle shifting.
https://practicalmotoring.com.au/blo...rs-waste-time/

If you enjoy having more control over the performance of your car, you should start playing with the paddles. You can't hurt anything because the computer will not allow it to over rev. Start using them and see what you like and how the car reacts...but don't do it in a lot of traffic where it will be more of a distraction.
After a while, people who drive standard shift cars don't even think about the shifting after a while...the paddles will become the same.

Saying that, if you like just driving and not concerned about the tac, engine performance etc...just leave the paddles alone
Old 11-24-2015, 10:19 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 C8, 2020 defender 110X, 2019 720S, 2014 GLK 350 4matic, 2015 escalade platinum, 2013 RRS HSELux
The paddle shifters of MB GLK is actually intuitive. Flip the left, it will downshift and the right upshift. Leave it alone for a few seconds, it converts to auto driving without stopping.