GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

New member here. Just got CPO 2013 GLK350, already have some issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 01:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 Mercedes Bezn GLK350
New member here. Just got CPO 2013 GLK350, already have some issues

Hello there. Just about a month with a used certified 2013 GLK350. It has NAV package, lane assist, appearance package. Beautiful car no doubt but I have a couple of issues that I may take it back to the dealer. The first issue is the convenience entry/exit. At first it worked but the steering wheel barely moves up on exit. Then just the other day this stopped working and when I manually move the steering wheel up or down it doesn't work. The telescoping function still works however. Is this a common problem? Is this a matter of just resetting the car or is something physically broken?

The other issue is the RPM. The tach needle bounces slightly up and down on idle. I will post a video of this later.

Finally, there are times when the car is re-started after its warm and the engine sounds like a diesel truck for a few seconds then goes away. Should this be a concern?

New member here. Just got CPO 2013 GLK350, already have some issues-zseac9bl.jpg

New member here. Just got CPO 2013 GLK350, already have some issues-frskwmol.jpg
Old 12-14-2015, 08:59 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
It is CPO, get them to fix the steering wheel problem. The idle should be rock solid. A dealer can read all the parameters of the engine and should be able to go over a print out of the compression and other numbers. You did not say how many miles on the car.
Sounding like a diesel is not uncommon for direct injection.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:31 AM

The car only has 25K miles. I know how DI engine sounds like, the noise last 2-3 seconds and sounds like marbles being shaken in a metal can. The noise only happens about an hour after the car has been re-started when engine is warm.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLK350
hi muadib69,

hold the button for the steering wheel either up or down for like 30 seconds and it should work again. see if that works, mine was stuck and just started working after doing that.

for the engine noise, I've had the same prob since my 2013 was new and the dealer can never duplicate it. it's either a lifter problem or a loose pulley only when the car is restarted sometimes. there a thread here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...old-start.html

my car's due for service in Jan so i'm just going to show the SA that thread
Old 12-14-2015, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by phil17
hi muadib69,

hold the button for the steering wheel either up or down for like 30 seconds and it should work again. see if that works, mine was stuck and just started working after doing that.

for the engine noise, I've had the same prob since my 2013 was new and the dealer can never duplicate it. it's either a lifter problem or a loose pulley only when the car is restarted sometimes. there a thread here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...old-start.html

my car's due for service in Jan so i'm just going to show the SA that thread
Holding it up or down for 30 seconds does not work. I will make an appointment to see the dealer for this as well a the bouncing RPM needle.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:40 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
Does the sound last longer the longer the engine is off? If so, maybe oil draindown from the filter.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:47 AM

2013 GLK350 & 2013 E350
I am having the same issue with he steering column on a CPO 2013 E350. I did some research on this in the forum and appears to be a common problem across all models and model years. I have an appointment with the deal in 2 weeks for this issue.

I think that all forum members need to post a complaint on NHTSA web site as a safety issue due to the misalignment of the air bag and a safe driving position.

Here are the links -

http://https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-electronics/201439-how-fix-power-steering-column-will-not-move-up-down.html#post2316091

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...d-working.html
Old 12-29-2015, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by pschiller
I am having the same issue with he steering column on a CPO 2013 E350. I did some research on this in the forum and appears to be a common problem across all models and model years. I have an appointment with the deal in 2 weeks for this issue.

I think that all forum members need to post a complaint on NHTSA web site as a safety issue due to the misalignment of the air bag and a safe driving position.

Here are the links -

http://https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-electronics/201439-how-fix-power-steering-column-will-not-move-up-down.html#post2316091

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...d-working.html
I have an appt at the dealer next week to fix this. Will update this thread.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:13 PM

2013 GLK350 & 2013 E350
Originally Posted by muadib69
I have an appt at the dealer next week to fix this. Will update this thread.
I just got mine back from the dealer and they turned off the easy entry/exit and then turned it on again. So it is "fixed" for now.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by pschiller
I just got mine back from the dealer and they turned off the easy entry/exit and then turned it on again. So it is "fixed" for now.
I did that already and that didn't fix it. It's been in the dealer now for third day. They gave us another GLK350 for a loaner car. They finally called this afternoon and addressed the following issues I complained about:

The telescoping mechanism for steering wheel broke. It is replaced.

The loud rattle I hear sometimes in the engine compartment is due to a slack in the secondary chain tensioners. The tensioner was replaced.

The RPM needle bouncing up and down didn't show any codes but they think it may have to do with the chain or tensioner. They are checking that right now before car will be released.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4Matic
Originally Posted by muadib69

I did that already and that didn't fix it. It's been in the dealer now for third day. They gave us another GLK350 for a loaner car. They finally called this afternoon and addressed the following issues I complained about:

The telescoping mechanism for steering wheel broke. It is replaced.

The loud rattle I hear sometimes in the engine compartment is due to a slack in the secondary chain tensioners. The tensioner was replaced.

The RPM needle bouncing up and down didn't show any codes but they think it may have to do with the chain or tensioner. They are checking that right now before car will be released.
I had the rattle and it was the tensioner. They also replaced the engine mounts because i complained of an unusual vibration on cold startup. My HVAC vents popped and clicked upon warming up, so they replaced those. Right now my driver window wont roll up all the way on auto, and if i do it manually, it goes to the top and then rolls down an inch. I am going to bring it in before i reach 50,000 miles, because i think the CPO warranty that kicks in for that extra year doesn't cover issues like the window.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:18 PM

I am picking up the car from the dealer today. Summary of what was done:

Rattle noise on startup:
Replaced chain tensioner and related parts.

Steering wheel doesn't go up or down anymore:
Replaced mechanism.

Fluctuating or bouncing RPM needle:
Software flash for the instrument panel.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:12 PM

2010 GLK350
Originally Posted by sethro1980
I had the rattle and it was the tensioner. They also replaced the engine mounts because i complained of an unusual vibration on cold startup. My HVAC vents popped and clicked upon warming up, so they replaced those. Right now my driver window wont roll up all the way on auto, and if i do it manually, it goes to the top and then rolls down an inch. I am going to bring it in before i reach 50,000 miles, because i think the CPO warranty that kicks in for that extra year doesn't cover issues like the window.
Not totally off topic, but I just got a 350 and noticed that if the window is all the way up and you try to put it up more, it opens a crack. Maybe it's some sort of ventilation feature, like how a sunroof goes up a crack if you try to close it when it's closed.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:15 PM

GLK350
that window thing doesn't sound right. maybe you need to reset the auto feature or something. I don't have the manual with me but maybe search for instructions and give it a try
Old 01-17-2016, 03:52 AM

2010 GLK350
Originally Posted by phil17
that window thing doesn't sound right. maybe you need to reset the auto feature or something. I don't have the manual with me but maybe search for instructions and give it a try
I think you're right. I did the "close it and hold close for 8 seconds" thing and now it works as a normal window would.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:30 AM

GLK 350 4 Matic
Originally Posted by sethro1980
When I bought my CPO GLK, I was told the extra warranty covered everything that the original warranty does. Same for the MB extended warranty.

The CPO (and extended) warranty are both unlimited miles.