GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

A couple questions about my '15 350...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 09:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLK 350 4 Matic
A couple questions about my '15 350...

It did not come with a trailer hitch, I need to add one. It is for my bike rack, not for towing. The dealer won't install one, but pointed me to the local UHaul.

If they do it, will it be 'concealed' like the factory one, or will it hang down beneath the bumper?

Class 3 or class 2? My bike rack is 2", so I'm leaning toward class 3.

The power steering is overboosted. Is there any way to dial it back? This my first car with electric steering. It feels better than most EPS systems I've driven, but hoping it can be improved.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 GLK 350
I put one on mine for my Kuat bike rack. Hangs down just a bit under the bumper. Looks terrific and took them maybe an hour.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:16 AM

GLK 350 4 Matic
Another question:

My car has a PZEV option. I found out that this stands for partial zero emission vehicle. I haven't found much information on what is different.

Apparently the gas tank is sealed to prevent gas from evaporating into the air. The consequence of this is if the fuel pump dies, the tank can't be opened and has to be replaced as one unit. This is somewhat a concern as the fuel pumps now run at several 1000 psi and have been unreliable for some companies. I don't know about MB's track record.

I think it has better cats. Supposedly has no detrimental effect on performance.

It is required in some states, and has a 15 year warranty on emission equipment, but not in my state (WI).

Any info on the PZEV thing? It was a 0 cost option, so I'm thinking there can't be much different.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:34 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
Most of what you need to know is in this
Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle (PZEV) have many extra parts to meet the California code.
For the fuel pump, you have 2. One low pressure lift pump is in the tank. This can be changed but may need the tank dropped. The second, high pressure pump is mechanically run by the engine.
The tank does have a vent or it would be sucked flat when the gas is removed. As shown in the you tube it has a canister vent system. Mush of the systems are covered by an extended warranty. The PZEV system is a way for vehicle manufactures to earn credits from states against pollution requirements.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:37 AM

Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts
yes
Originally Posted by bop11
Most of what you need to know is in this
What does it take to be a PZEV engine? - YouTube
Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle (PZEV) have many extra parts to meet the California code.
For the fuel pump, you have 2. One low pressure lift pump is in the tank. This can be changed but may need the tank dropped. The second, high pressure pump is mechanically run by the engine.
The tank does have a vent or it would be sucked flat when the gas is removed. As shown in the you tube it has a canister vent system. Mush of the systems are covered by an extended warranty. The PZEV system is a way for vehicle manufactures to earn credits from states against pollution requirements.
wow..... sure glad I don't have this nonsense...
Old 03-11-2016, 09:26 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 GLE300d 4Matic
A trailer hitch needs to meet standards for its possible use. That you are only using it for a bike rack is only incidental. You have a problem. The Class 3 hitches are designed for 5000 pounds towing but the car isn't. It's rated at 3500 pounds. Well, my '10 4Matic is. No one will put a Class 3 on the car due to liability issues. You have to put on a Class 2 which has the smaller tube which won't fit your rack. You might find an adapter for the smaller tube and your bike rack. That would be the only legal solution. It's a fairly big project to get a rack installed. Some posters have documented the project using a Kurt or UHaul kit.
It does come out right below the bumper trim. Too much stuff in the way to mount it higher.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:10 PM

GLK 350 4 Matic
Originally Posted by mjhawkins2346
A trailer hitch needs to meet standards for its possible use. That you are only using it for a bike rack is only incidental. You have a problem. The Class 3 hitches are designed for 5000 pounds towing but the car isn't. It's rated at 3500 pounds. Well, my '10 4Matic is. No one will put a Class 3 on the car due to liability issues. You have to put on a Class 2 which has the smaller tube which won't fit your rack. You might find an adapter for the smaller tube and your bike rack. That would be the only legal solution. It's a fairly big project to get a rack installed. Some posters have documented the project using a Kurt or UHaul kit.
It does come out right below the bumper trim. Too much stuff in the way to mount it higher.
2" vs 1.25" isn't a huge deal, but it would be nice not to need 2 bike racks. The other wrinkle is I'm thinking of putting a hitch on my Corvette, only 1.25" is available, so I may need to get a new bike rack anyway.