Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

290,000 miles & still running strong...??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2002, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 290,000 miles & still running strong...??

I'll share a few mildly entertaining stories...
My good ol 89 300E was traveling down the Kennedy (I-90 near Chicago) on the way home from a trip. I was getting a little bored and since I was traveling with my friends I decided I wanted to show off. My other friend was driving an old Blazer. He hates changing lanes and going to fast, so right out of the paytoll I slam the power button and a few gears later I'm flying at about 100. Not too fast, but the car was shaking !!! So I'm going along at about 4:30PM on a busy expressway weaving in and out... the next thing I know BAM!!! I hear something slamming the side of my car. I thought I lost a wheel! After pulling off to the side I realized my CB antenna flew off the car and was banging against the side, holding on with the wire! The CB antenna is pretty tall and heavy and is magneticly(sp?) held, so I guess the 110 was a little too quick.

Since then I have fixed up the car, 4 new tires and a bunch of other stuff, muffler, front shocks and breaks, etc... - the car no longer shakes, I tested her all the way up to 120mph.

So my friend has a 93 Mitsubishi with a supercharger. We head out on a local state highway and come to a stop. We wanted to do an "acceleration test" so I put my gear selector in "2" which starts 300E's out of first (usu. they start out of 2nd gear). He burns out a bit after the countdown but starts to catch me as I switch from 1 to 2. I switch from 2 to 3 (this was only supposed to be to 60, but who's watching???) and once I hit 3rd gear the 300E's torque just shoots past him. I think I pulled off at 90 or something. I beat him at 60 and at 90. It was solid, fun. And I forgot to mention that a cop drives by only a few minutes later, but we were traveling a safe 55 !

These stories aren't too entertaining, but I must say I am quite proud to share them as my odometer hits 293,000. Quality MB endurance!
Old 08-11-2002, 09:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Nice story, I just read it, your car looks really nice for 89 model. Congratulation on all the miles, have you ever rebulit the engine? i don't think so, but I just wanted to make sure.
Old 09-08-2002, 05:52 PM

The Beast

That's a negative on the rebuilt engine. I have had no major parts fail. Yet. But the tranny is getting a little worse every season. Might be replacing that soon....
Old 09-08-2002, 09:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Thumbs up Re: The Beast

Originally posted by chupper
That's a negative on the rebuilt engine.
WOW
If the transmission goes out by now it has already earned its rebult or replacement.