Go Back   MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz SUVs, Trucks, Vans, Diesels, Other > M-Class (W163)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

M-Class (W163) 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Welcome to MBWorld.org!
Welcome to MBWorld,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-21-2006, 05:30 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 90
Drives: 2000 ML320
Does 2000 W163 CD player support mp3 format?

Can I play Mp3 CD's on my 2000 ML320?
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

__________________

2007 IS250
2007 S550 Launch Edition
2007 GL450
2000 ML320
iLoveMyMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 09:09 AM   #2
Almost a Member!
 
marcelc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 62
Drives: 2002 ML270
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveMyMB
Can I play Mp3 CD's on my 2000 ML320?
I believe not.
marcelc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:51 AM   #3
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
pointman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: nj
Posts: 4,708
Drives: a car that can't do the throttle reset.
yes. just use good media, and burn at a slow rate.
pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 05:26 PM   #4
Super Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Bay area - California
Posts: 559
Drives: 2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
Pointman, are you sure that works?

I have been dying to find a mp3 solution for my 2000 ML320. I have the factory 6 CD changer and would love to load up mp3 CDs in it.

Also, what do you mean by burning it slow? What speed? 2x, 4x, 8x or 16x...
__________________
Silver 2000 ML320 - Fender Flares, Chrome Grill Guard, Chrome side steps, Hella Fog Lights, GPS, Bose, Skyview Roof,M1 & M5 convinience packages.

2006 SLK 350
mihir_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 05:37 PM   #5
Super Member
 
velvet fog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Covington wa
Posts: 931
Drives: 05 SL500, 02 BMW Z3 (Mrs. VF), 05 FJR1300, 91 ZX-11
Don't bother with having to learn formats, burn speeds and all that other techno jumble. I just use Itunes to catalog all of my music regardless of how it was acquired. My catalog contains multiple formats, downloaded music, purchased music, stuff from friends etc.

When I want to create a cd, I just select the songs into a playlist on Itunes, pop a blank 80min/700mb cd into my external MadDog 52x CD burner and click the "Burn disc" button in the upper right corner. About 3 minutes later I have a disc that works just fine in the 6disc changer of my 2000 CLK.
velvet fog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 06:53 PM   #6
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
pointman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: nj
Posts: 4,708
Drives: a car that can't do the throttle reset.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihir_d
I have been dying to find a mp3 solution for my 2000 ML320. I have the factory 6 CD changer and would love to load up mp3 CDs in it.

Also, what do you mean by burning it slow? What speed? 2x, 4x, 8x or 16x...
positive. i owned a 2000 ml320 as well, and was told it wasn't possible. i burned with various software, at a slow rate, and good media.. and perfect results.

I go 16x without an issue.
pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:42 AM   #7
Super Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Bay area - California
Posts: 559
Drives: 2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
You didn't get the point..

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet fog
Don't bother with having to learn formats, burn speeds and all that other techno jumble. I just use Itunes to catalog all of my music regardless of how it was acquired. My catalog contains multiple formats, downloaded music, purchased music, stuff from friends etc.

When I want to create a cd, I just select the songs into a playlist on Itunes, pop a blank 80min/700mb cd into my external MadDog 52x CD burner and click the "Burn disc" button in the upper right corner. About 3 minutes later I have a disc that works just fine in the 6disc changer of my 2000 CLK.
I do what you said all the time...the problem with the normal Audio format is that a CD will only hold 10-15 songs. If you can put it in mp3 format, we are talking of being able to store 100 songs/CD.

My 06 Subaru Tribeca has a 6 CD mp3 changer, and I love to have the 600 songs loaded on it, not having to worry about changing CDs every 2-3 weeks.

My 00 320 has a 6 CD changer too, but its not mp3, but if what pointman says is true, I will certainly try it in a day or two. Burn at 16x and see if the changer will play the mp3 format.
__________________
Silver 2000 ML320 - Fender Flares, Chrome Grill Guard, Chrome side steps, Hella Fog Lights, GPS, Bose, Skyview Roof,M1 & M5 convinience packages.

2006 SLK 350
mihir_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:55 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 90
Drives: 2000 ML320
YAY! I'm glad I went ahead and asked this. Now I'm happy.

Thanks to all. I'll try this soon.
__________________

2007 IS250
2007 S550 Launch Edition
2007 GL450
2000 ML320
iLoveMyMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:30 AM   #9
Super Member
 
velvet fog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Covington wa
Posts: 931
Drives: 05 SL500, 02 BMW Z3 (Mrs. VF), 05 FJR1300, 91 ZX-11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihir_d
I do what you said all the time...the problem with the normal Audio format is that a CD will only hold 10-15 songs. If you can put it in mp3 format, we are talking of being able to store 100 songs/CD.

My 06 Subaru Tribeca has a 6 CD mp3 changer, and I love to have the 600 songs loaded on it, not having to worry about changing CDs every 2-3 weeks.

My 00 320 has a 6 CD changer too, but its not mp3, but if what pointman says is true, I will certainly try it in a day or two. Burn at 16x and see if the changer will play the mp3 format.
Let us know how that works. I agree that having only 15 songs per disc is a bit limiting.
velvet fog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:50 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 138
Absolutely Not

I dont think you can play mp3 cds in Normal CD player .
Even if you burn slowly . The format is so different the audio cd wont recognise the Mp3 (which is Data not Audio CD)
ml320_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 06:22 PM   #11
Almost a Member!
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Surrey, BC
Posts: 71
Drives: Dad - '04 ML350E
even my dads 04 ml350 won't play mp3's.. its a mercedes, and no mp3? weird

edit: and i dislike it how you can't put cd's in the HU..
Chiggro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:02 AM   #12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Portland area, Oregon
Posts: 4
Drives: 1999 SLK 230, 2000 ML320
One more voice heard from

OK, I have 2 computers, one a PC which I burned MP3's and used in my 2000 ML. My other PC is a MAC which I can not get to burn a MP3... any format... any type of disk... I can only report that I can run MP3's in the ML.... I wish I could duplicate this on the MAC. as this is my only machine for the present.
sforush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 10:50 AM   #13
Almost a Member!
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 66
What software do you use?

What software and settings do you guys burn these music. Apparently I'v tried some programs such as Nero and Acoustica MP3 CD Burner to burn MP3 music at 10x speed and when I try to play it both in CD Nav Drive and CD Changer it will not work. As for the Media Disc, I have Memorex CD-R's.
Benzlova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:45 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 190
Drives: MY2004 E320
Nice try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ml320_2001
I dont think you can play mp3 cds in Normal CD player .
Even if you burn slowly . The format is so different the audio cd wont recognise the Mp3 (which is Data not Audio CD)
It slike saying can I play DVD's in my Cd player. Completely different technologies. MP3 requires a decoder to translate the data into audio waves. What you can do however, it to purchase a mp3 cd changer and hook it up to yout factory system.

Apparently 2000 model MCS and changer unit was manufactured by pioneer. Maybe they have one or have an aftermarket (like sony) FM based cd changers installed - that will be cheapest since you can get a sony 10cd mp3 changer for less than 200 bucks.

Contrary to common belief, FM injected signal is 100% superior to FM reception.
__________________
Moby Akhtar
2007 GL450. 2002 Maserati Coupe Cambiocorsa. 2009 VW Tiguan. 2006 Prius. 2003 Yamaha Vstar 1100.
mobinakhtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:00 AM   #15
Super Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Bay area - California
Posts: 559
Drives: 2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
I remember seeing a Pioneer 10CD MP3 changer in Walmart for $130 once..

Now that you mention, I remember seeing such a changer in the Auto aisle at Walmart. Even thought of picking it up, then figured what were the odds on the quality of FM injected reception. Another thing is bringing power to the changer. I remember that changer did have a cigaratte light adaptor, but in the long run permanent wiring would make sense.

The good thing about the cigaratte light adapter is that the changer can be moved around from car to car. I have 2 cars (including the 00 ML320) that don't play MP3s, so the cigaratte light adapter made sense...
__________________
Silver 2000 ML320 - Fender Flares, Chrome Grill Guard, Chrome side steps, Hella Fog Lights, GPS, Bose, Skyview Roof,M1 & M5 convinience packages.

2006 SLK 350
mihir_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:06 AM   #16
Almost a Member!
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 66
Can you give me a link to a site where I can buy an Aftermarket CD Changer to replace with mine? Is it plug and play, or easy installation?

I put my car in the website, it does not say that its not compatible with my car? Will these work?:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Hd0nK1p...rch=CD+Changer

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Hd0nK1p...rch=CD+Changer

Last edited by Benzlova; 08-29-2006 at 11:15 AM.
Benzlova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 02:15 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 190
Drives: MY2004 E320
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihir_d
Now that you mention, I remember seeing such a changer in the Auto aisle at Walmart. Even thought of picking it up, then figured what were the odds on the quality of FM injected reception. Another thing is bringing power to the changer. I remember that changer did have a cigaratte light adaptor, but in the long run permanent wiring would make sense.

The good thing about the cigaratte light adapter is that the changer can be moved around from car to car. I have 2 cars (including the 00 ML320) that don't play MP3s, so the cigaratte light adapter made sense...
Couple of things to note - and sorry for the long replies. I used to be an audio/video installer so I keep dragging on:

1. Cigarette lighter is not a good option. Seems to be just a FM broadcast usit. FM cd changers come with what is called a FM modulator ( small box that feeds sound to your radio)

2. "Injected" means that cd changer has a physical cable that goes into the MCS stereo (replacing factory antennae - while factory antennae plugs into the harness provided by the mp3 changer) that way you have radio reception, and mp3 audio is directly injected (almost like a wired connection) to your MCS stereo. You still listen to it on FM.

2b. Since its permanently installed, a good place is the gloves box, if you can find a 6-cd that will fit. 10 cd ones are big and usually are placed under the passenger seat.

3. I recommend Sony because it comes with a remote and a decent LCD display.

Imagine - you can have a 6-CD changer, FM, AM, DVD Nav, AND a 10-CD mp3 bank that you will rarely have to touch with this setup.

100 songs times 10 cds = 1000 songs. Keep flippin.

You can find mp3 changers on *bay between 100-200 all day long

for a clean install - I Highly recommend an installer or a local store like best buy/circuit city etc.

You WILL need the security code for your MCS, and power connections to Mains (12vdc) and a trigger 12vdc at the ignition. You can do it yourself, but its worth the $60-100 they charge as they do a clean clean job with accessories, wiring harnesses, etc which will cost you as well.
__________________
Moby Akhtar
2007 GL450. 2002 Maserati Coupe Cambiocorsa. 2009 VW Tiguan. 2006 Prius. 2003 Yamaha Vstar 1100.

Last edited by mobinakhtar; 08-29-2006 at 02:20 PM.
mobinakhtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 06:58 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 138
How Many Songs on a CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sforush
OK, I have 2 computers, one a PC which I burned MP3's and used in my 2000 ML. My other PC is a MAC which I can not get to burn a MP3... any format... any type of disk... I can only report that I can run MP3's in the ML.... I wish I could duplicate this on the MAC. as this is my only machine for the present.

I am guessing when you burned a CD from MP3 you picked the Audio CD format which Converted Your MP3 Songs into Audio CD format and then you were able to Play in your CD Player. I have never heard of any body play Mp3 Songs (DATA) play on a CD player. The max I am guessing you had on the said MP3 CD might be 15 -20. But We are talking that you can burn around 100 songs of MP3 (Data format) and play it in a MP3 Player.
CD player will not Recognise Data ..
ml320_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 04:01 PM   #19
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 510
Drives: 04 S500, 05 Jeep GC, 06 Acura TL, 04 BMW 530i, 98 Jag xk8,
wait a minute.. i didnt read all the posts just a few but from what i read. if i burn an mp3 cd slowly i can burn an mp3 disc with lets say 100 songs and it will play on my ML 55 stock MB system? i have a 6 disc and the nav slot too
Riffyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 04:51 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: long island
Posts: 131
Drives: '03 E39 530I
Mercedes system will most certainly NOT play mp3 format.

Last edited by straightSIX; 09-01-2006 at 04:54 PM.
straightSIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 09:19 PM   #21
Almost a Member!
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointman
yes. just use good media, and burn at a slow rate.
Please prove me wrong, im good with computers but yet I have wasted 5 CD's attempting to burn with 5 different media and 3 difference programs. I wish this were true but I doubt its possible. I tried playing it on my CD Navigation drive and CD Changer.

PS: Maybe the DVD Nav drive is a different story?
Benzlova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 09:19 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
12v, 2000, 528i, 97, bmw, cd, cdr, changer, cigarette, dc, lighter, mercedes, ml320, mp3, playimg, read



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:38 AM.


Copyright 2001-2012 InternetBrands, Inc. / MBWorld.org. All Rights Reserved.
Everyone's Personal Details

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2