M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ML Minor Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2002, 10:41 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML500
Lightbulb ML Minor Problems

I was talking w/ my uncle and he said the JD Power rated the ML at like 20th for repairs. I was bitter about that, but was wondering what the average repair is. I have a broken rear ash tray and a cracked windshield wiper cleaner tank. Nothing that is really in need of attention. And I would order the parts and fix it myself. I was wondering about any other minor ML problems people have had or even major ones. And, if anyone can find the report or something similar what the average repair cost is... keeping in mind it is an MB, not a kia.

Thanks everyone:p
Old 12-06-2002, 08:52 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 ML500 SE, 2005 X5
ML Problems

If you are looking for lists of problems with ML's, check out:

http://www.mercedes-lemon.com
Old 12-09-2002, 10:08 AM

2000 ML 320
hey

Here are my problems but then again. My car is a lemon. I hope this helps.

a. September 5, 2000 – The turn signal would not return to the off position after making a right hand turn. Transmission was inspected due to harsh shifting from first gear to second gear, which also create a loud bump or knocking noise from beneath the car in the drivetrain.
b. December 29, 2000 – An “A” service was performed as well as all four (4) wheels were replaced due to vibration while driving.
c. April 05, 2001 – The “Check Engine” light appeared due to a faulty oxygen sensor. The glove box door was loose and broken.
d. June 07, 2001 – A “B” service was performed. Transmission was also inspected due to harsh shifting from first gear to second gear and also lurches when accelerating from a standstill. Throttle cable was also binding creating a sticky throttle during acceleration and deceleration.
e. August 08, 2001 – Transmission was inspected due to harsh shifting from first gear to second gear, which also create a loud bump or knocking noise from beneath the car in the drivetrain. Drivers’ window was creating a shifting and bumping noise while rising or lowering and driver also had to work with the switch get the window to lower.
f. August 14, 2001 – Transmission was inspected due to harsh shifting from first gear to second gear, which also create a loud bump or knocking noise from beneath the car in the drivetrain. Drivers’ side door speaker created a buzzing noise after the August 08, 2001 inspection. Drivers’ window continued to create a shifting and bumping noise while rising and lowering. The center dash air vent would create a fluttering noise when fan was operating a mid to high speeds. Throttle cable was also binding creating a sticky throttle during acceleration and deceleration.
g. September 20, 2001 - Transmission was inspected due to harsh shifting from first gear to second gear, which also create a loud bump or knocking noise from beneath the car in the drivetrain. Throttle cable was also binding creating a sticky throttle during acceleration and deceleration. Trailer lighting failed to produce any form of lighting.
h. September 26, 2001 - Throttle cable was also binding creating a sticky throttle during acceleration and deceleration. Previous throttle cable that was installed was a non-approved cable that was not authorized by Mercedes-Benz engineers and designers.
i. November 19, 2001 – An “A” service was performed. Drivers’ side door speaker created a buzzing noise after the September 26, 2001 inspection. . Drivers’ window continued to create a shifting and bumping noise while rising and lowering. Glove box door left hinge was broken. Vehicle would pull to the right while driving. Washer fluid reservoir was leaking. Throttle cable was also binding creating a sticky throttle during acceleration and deceleration.
j. November 24, 2001 – Vehicle would pull strongly to the right while holding the steering wheel to the left.
k. January 08, 2002 - Throttle cable was binding creating a sticky throttle during all acceleration and deceleration. Received a client credit of $2,000.00 as a goodwill gesture.
l. March 21, 2002 – Right side catalytic converter was broken creating a very loud rattling noise as well as an exhaust leak. Transmission was leaking fluid from the center of the vehicle.
m. May 03, 2002 – A “B” service was performed. Drivers’ side window failed to rise no matter what I would do. Parking brake fails to hold on inclines. Right rear window also would not lower or rise.
n. July 16, 2002 - Throttle cable was binding creating a sticky throttle during acceleration and deceleration. Left side catalytic converter was broken creating a very loud rattling noise as well as an extremely loud exhaust leak. (I have a picture). Alarm would sound for no reason at any unexpected time, i.e. midnight in a closed garage, all windows up and in the office parking lot, 10:00 a.m., all windows up.
o. July 25, 2002 – Rear exhaust would make a loud rattling noise during idle or low RPM’s due to a loose heat shield. Air conditioner would not produce cool air in under 15 minutes from a failing auxiliary fan.
p. September 02, 2002 – (Performed by Mercedes of Knoxville, TN.) Mass airflow sensor failed which resulted in top speeds of 40mph and rapid deceleration and jerky acceleration. Vehicle was inoperable for highway or interstate conditions and uses.
q. October 21, 2002 – SRS indicator light came on due to a shorted out sensor beneath the front passenger side seat which disabled both dash and door airbags. Throttle cable was also binding creating a sticky throttle during acceleration and deceleration.
r. November 06, 2002 – (Performed by Mike Wardingley at Dickerson’s Automotive in Conyers, GA.) A lemon law evaluation was performed and found a continuous binding of the throttle cable. No other problems were found at this time because the vehicle was just in the service department.
Old 12-09-2002, 04:02 PM
Almost a Member!

ML320
JJunkins: Sorry about your ML. I read your list of problems. I sure hope that I don't have the same problems with mine. It's sad though because you would expect top quality and reliability from Mercedes especially since you pay good money for services. Do you still have the same ML? or have you upgraded?
Old 12-09-2002, 04:08 PM

2000 ML 320
I still have the same ML. They have offered me another at dealer cost but that would make my payments $300 more. I passed on that and got myself a good lawyer. I don't think that I want another Benz. To be honest with you, I have been looking at Audi S4's.
Old 12-09-2002, 04:43 PM
Almost a Member!

ML500
S4's are nice, but i have friend who fried his turbos... still loves the car though.
Old 12-09-2002, 06:42 PM
Almost a Member!

ML320
Wow, you still have your ML??? After having the problems that I have had with ours, we were debating whether we should trade it in for a Lexus. I was eyeing the new GX, but I couldn't get myself to give up our ML. I don't think I would get another Benz after this one too ... it just costs too much for repairs/parts.

So you're thinking of getting an Audi S4 huh? My co-worker has an older S4, 1993. He loves it. I notice his car is in the shop almost every month for repairs though. Just something to think about.