M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Going in and out of Low Range mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 Mercedes ML320
Going in and out of Low Range mode

My 1998 ML 320 went into limp mode a few month ago. I brought to the Mechanic. They replaced some Crank cover gasket, Seals for a Plug and an ATF Modul. The car seems to work after that ok for about a few weeks. Than I notice that I was loosing Transmission fluid. I returned it to the Mechanic and than when the nightmare started. I drove the car home but as soon as I got home the again the transmission did not **** anymore. I took it back again and now after more than 4 month I got it back. They said they had the transmission open 5 times, change a valve body, a whole disc kit, divers seals and repaired the ABS System (My ETS and ABS light were on all the time). I drove the car home on Friday, did small trips an Saturday and Sunday and on the last trip I noticed right after start that the LOW RANGE
light started to blink every once in a while, while driving in normal mode. (I never used the Low Range switch ever). At one point it even went into Limp Mode again but came out of it again. I am utterly frustrated and wonder if any body has any ideas I could recommend to the mechanic.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:55 PM
DrX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 ML320, 2003 A160
You really need to find a new mechanic. Your old one clearly has no clue about fixing ML transmissions, but seems happy to take your money to replace parts that aren't faulty.

Better still, just fix it yourself. Some idiot at your mechanic's workshop played with the low range button, and put it out of position. Try lying under your ML with a hammer, and tapping it lightly while a trusted friend presses the low range button. If you time it right, you can get lucky and fix the low range issue.

If leaving this kind of task to the mechanics is your preference, it's time to change your mind. Unless you enjoy having your ML on the hoist for months, more than driving it.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 ML 350
to get the low range to stop blinking is to put the gear shifter in neutral and activate the low range, and go through the gears once that is done go back to neutral and de-activate low range and then turn of the truck and wait a few seconds then turn the truck back on to see if the light stops.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 Mercedes ML320
thank you guys,
meanwhile I returned the car to the mechanic and after another week I got it back and it seems to work now ok. They said they had to change some wiring to the transfer module, I believe it was. I tell you no more Mercedes and if I could no more automatic transmission.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 ML55,2007 ML63
Find a knowledgeable, & honest MB indie & you will change your mind.