M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ML 320 (W163) FOB keys suddenly stopped working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 03:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 ML55 AMG (W163)
ML 320 (W163) FOB keys suddenly stopped working

Hi,

I have a 2001 ML 320 (W163) been able to fix smaller stuff myself throughout the years, but I am stuck with this one.

Basically, one of the two keys stopped working last week. I thought batteries initially, as the other one worked fine still. Changing the batteries didn’t work, and then I went online and found a few YouTube videos about tear on the solder spots inside the circuit board. I opened it up, but everything looked nice (i.e. no broken solder points etc.)

I did try reprogram it, without success, followed instructions in the manual, and also from another forum member here, who suggested the final step needs to be the "tailgate" didn’t work either.

Thought I was just unlucky with that, let’s call it remote 1.

Then today, I was out shopping, closing and locking the ML frequently, all good with remote 2, then when I got back home to my garage, the key wouldn’t work. So basically both keys failed within a week, makes me rule out a key issue.

As I said above, I have tried resetting the keys per manual, and also as someone suggested the final step, needs to be tailgate button (manual says any button to finalize programming) neither works.

WHAT is funny though, is that if I do the re-program cycle sitting inside the car with doors open, nothing happens. But, if I lock the car using the switch inside the car, then doing the programming finishing off with "tailgate button" the tailgate locks. So, the remote works, but what can be the issue? I have googled, someone mentioned fuse F42 and 8, but I checked those all good.

Interested if anyone experienced this, or have suggestions, not ready to pay the money Mercedes want for new keys, as I am pretty sure the keys are fine.

thankful for insights, suggestions, etc..

Last edited by moemoe; 01-04-2016 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 ML 320,1996 E320,!992 190E
What was the problem mine is doing the same thing
Old 04-19-2016, 04:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 ML55 AMG (W163)
Originally Posted by peteman0
What was the problem mine is doing the same thing
Hi there, in my case it was a faulty AAM module. I followed the advice of a few other on this forum and got a used from from a scrap dealer (just making sure the serial number is the same) then i paid a MB repair shop to have it programmed.

the AAM module was 300 USD, and the programming was 150 USD, compared to Mercedes which wanted 1,200 USD from me.

Try reprogramming first, it you get teh same issue i got, its likely the AAM module that is busted.