M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

2001 ml320 won't move in D, N, or R

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 E55 AMG
2001 ml320 won't move in D, N, or R

I did a quick search and all I've seen is that it could be trans fluid low or a possible shifter problem, but I don't see any signs of a leak, no fluid under it after sitting, and the check engine light isn't on.

It's a 2001 ml320 with 105k on it. I just bought it monday and everything seemed fine. Drove it about 50 miles around town yesterday and last night with no issues, but this morning when I went to go to work, started it up, put it in R and nothing. Put it into D and nothing. No check engine light on and no way to check the fluid level without a dipstick. But here's the weird part. When it's in N for neutral, I tried pushing it and it felt like it was still in park. Rolled about an inch before what felt like the park pin engaging. I left it in Reverse and hopped out, pushed it forward and back, and repeated with it it in drive, and just like in neutral and park, it still only moves about an inch before what feels like the park pin engages.

Also, when I'm moving the shifter from Park to Reverse to Neutral to Drive, the digital indicator in the gauge cluster changes to correspond with where the shifter in the console is, so I would think that means the shifter is communicating to the computer what position it is in. Maybe not?

I find it hard to believe that the trans went bad or leaked out its fluid to the point of not moving with no signs of a leak or fluid on the ground and no issue whatsoever through all the driving I did just 10 hours previous. Any suggestions where to start? I'm going to locate a dipstick to check the fluid, but in the meantime, anything else to check?
I've already tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes hoping there was a computer glitch that would be reset, but upon reconnecting the battery the problem was exactly the same.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts
2008 R320 CDI, 1987 560SL
You have the same tranny I has in mine. Buy a dip stick and check the level. If it's low top it up. If not, you likely need a new wire harness connector and a new conductor plate,