M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Tailgate Lock Malfunction-Has it Happened to You?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 ML350
Exclamation Tailgate Lock Malfunction-Has it Happened to You?

Hey everyone, noob here. Last night I had my tailgate (power) open to load some baggage in at the airport. The lock started making noise for about 3 min straight. Anyways, I attempted to shut the tailgate using the power button like I normally do and it didn't do anything. For some reason the keyfob wouldn't shut it either. So I tried everything, turned on the car, turned it off, locked the car, unlocked it, etc. to no avail. I had to manually shut it. But since the lock was acting weird, it was in the "locked" position and wouldnt engage the hook. The tailgate would just shut enough but there wasnt room enough because the lock wouldnt let it shut all the way. I got in the car and there were 8 error messages: my brake light, tail-light, and trailer lights were out and the substitute bulbs were on and the tailgate being open. I drove home with my hazards on for fear of my trunk opening up and my baggage being strewn across the highway. Also, the fuel gauge doesn't work and I have no idea how much gas I've left so I've just been filling it up intermittently today. Luckily, the dealership will be able to see me today. I'm wondering if this sort of malfunction has ever occurred to anyone else???
Old 05-27-2008, 04:56 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 GLC300, 13 PorscheC4S, 12 Porsche Cayman S
Originally Posted by birjuh
Hey everyone, noob here. Last night I had my tailgate (power) open to load some baggage in at the airport. The lock started making noise for about 3 min straight. Anyways, I attempted to shut the tailgate using the power button like I normally do and it didn't do anything. For some reason the keyfob wouldn't shut it either. So I tried everything, turned on the car, turned it off, locked the car, unlocked it, etc. to no avail. I had to manually shut it. But since the lock was acting weird, it was in the "locked" position and wouldnt engage the hook. The tailgate would just shut enough but there wasnt room enough because the lock wouldnt let it shut all the way. I got in the car and there were 8 error messages: my brake light, tail-light, and trailer lights were out and the substitute bulbs were on and the tailgate being open. I drove home with my hazards on for fear of my trunk opening up and my baggage being strewn across the highway. Also, the fuel gauge doesn't work and I have no idea how much gas I've left so I've just been filling it up intermittently today. Luckily, the dealership will be able to see me today. I'm wondering if this sort of malfunction has ever occurred to anyone else???
No....Strange deal. Will be interested in what the dealer says.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Sounds like it could be a malfunction electrical or other that is effecting items in the rear of the vehicle. It is strange.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:39 PM
Almost a Member!

2008 ML320 CDI
Sounds like a bad or marginal battery
Old 05-30-2008, 07:41 PM
Almost a Member!

ML320CDI 2007
There is two modules in the rear of the ML that seem to be prone to water damage, all the error codes you reported are a sign of one of the modules; the other module I believe controls something to do with the rear camera; I had this issue, and they had to replace the two modules, and relocate one of them, plus perform a service to re-route the drain for sunroof according to the service record;

The issue can be corrected and should not repeat after the corrective actions are taken
tk
Old 05-31-2008, 07:48 AM

2006 ML500
My ML had the same problems noted in the service report that my SA pulled up from the original owner. It appeared that he had to take it in a few times for that problem but it seems like it is finally fixed (knock on wood).....
Old 05-31-2008, 09:49 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
BIRJUH,

Anything yet from the dealer as to the problem? I'm going to guess that it was the SAM module in the rear that got wet.
Let us know.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:51 PM

ML 350-Black=Sold. New 08 C300 4Matic, Black/Black, P1, Ipod, Auto7speed, 10/10 hit 100,000 miles
happened to me 4 times, they replaced the arm and latch.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Suzuki Burgman Executive
check your fluc capitor most likely the problem idk jk
Old 06-18-2008, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by audi_guy
check your fluc capitor most likely the problem idk jk
What in the world is a "fluc capitor" That must be some sort of a part on the Space Shuttle!!
Old 06-18-2008, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Suzuki Burgman Executive
Originally Posted by sosh
What in the world is a "fluc capitor" That must be some sort of a part on the Space Shuttle!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN5z39Ls3XQ
Old 06-18-2008, 07:33 PM

2007 ML 500
Originally Posted by birjuh
yes, i have the same problem. the dealer did an adjustment last time and made it worst. i'm going back to have it fixed soon
Old 07-13-2008, 04:51 PM

2006 ML350
Originally Posted by dgiturbo
Anything yet from the dealer as to the problem? I'm going to guess that it was the SAM module in the rear that got wet.
Let us know.

Hey everyone, sorry, I didn't get back earlier. I took the car in, and behold, it was the SAM module near the fuse box in the trunk that had gotten wet. It was replaced and the car is functioning properly once more. It makes me scratch my head why such an important chip would be in an area where you might put wet things. Either way, I'm happy it was only one thing.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
I figured as much. When I get some time, I am going to figure out a way to waterproof that area. If I figure out a good way, I will post. Glad your ride is fixed.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:55 PM

ML 350
Originally Posted by Flubadub
No....Strange deal. Will be interested in what the dealer says.
I have thesame problem, even it drains my batery overnight. I have to resort to removing the car batery cable overnight pending the tome i will get it fixed.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:08 PM

ML 350
Eureka! On the SAM Panel, I removed the second cable counting from right side and replaced it. Everything is now back to nomal.