M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

2006 ML 350 Sudden Acceleration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 ML 350
2006 ML 350 Sudden Acceleration

Sudden acceleration has been a recurring issue with my ML since I purchased it new in 2005. A few weeks ago, it jumped forward while I was maneuvering into a parking space, hit a parking barrier, resulting in over $5,000 in damage to the left front fender and bumper.

Other than this issue, this has been an excellent SUV to drive. I've put almost 80,000 miles on it. Excellent highway driving, maneuverability, power.

Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, will MB own up to it and cover damage caused by the problem?
Old 02-25-2011, 10:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 ML550
The "unintended acceleration" problem with Audis 20 years ago turned out to be entirely driver error. When the accelerator pedal is pressed but you think you are pushing on the brake, it feels as if demons have taken over the car, so you push down even harder on what you think is the brake.

The recent problems Toyota has had with the same issue have now been diagnosed as similar driver error and/or a floor mat problem. Other makers have had the same issues over the years but with less publicity.

Logically about the only way I can think of that your vehicle could accelerate unintentionally would be if somehow the cruise control momentarily took over and the computer told it to hit the gas. So before asking MB to "own up" to the problem, it might be an idea to check the status of the gas pedal, make sure it isn't full of dirt, make sure your carpets don't interfere with it, make 100% sure you aren't inadvertently hitting the gas yourself, and so on. I'm not saying you are at fault, just that given the evidence from a number of other "unintended acceleration" cases over the years, the odds are severely against your getting MB to admit to anything.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:19 PM

2011 GL450, '06 R500 traded, '08 ML350 sold
Actually TOYOTA is recalling a large number of vehicles (it is on the news today) regarding pedal design in causing unintended acceleration. IMO the Audis of the 80s were a totally different issue. The number of incidents was quite small. In the end they did nothing to fix because there was nothing to fix they simply put a sticker saying youust depress the brake to use the transmission selector interestingly all Audi incidents were in the US. Toyota has admitted flaws in the design since carpets can jam the pedal etc.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:21 PM

However, I agree with the previous poster. It will be difficult to prove the car accelerated on it's own.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:50 AM

2006 ML500
Check out this thread which might describe your problem. My 06 ML500 demonstrated this behaviour but fortunately I didn't hit anything.

https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w...-problems.html
Old 02-28-2012, 04:44 PM

ML500
YES MY W164 ML500 DOES HAVE GAS PEDAL ISSUES

You are not crazy and dont listen to these people who may not even own an ML. I have an ML. My ML500 aggravates us to freaking death. The throttle sticks and then..VROOOOMM, but its not a smooth, fast acceleration. It's a jerk then slows down. It does not keep the G force of the initial jerk!! It is definitly an issue, among others. We love this car but the faults are insanely bad faults.
  1. 1. Transmission shifts waaaay too hard underload, decelerations or otherwise. Also just fails if not diagnosis and repair is done quickly --Apparently a reprogram flash of tranny, some valve body replacment, or fluid flush MAY help
  2. Power Steering O ring leaks like a sivfe. causing loud "wine" and it leaks all in engine Bay
  3. Front Diff--Starts roaring, they are ****
  4. Wheel Bearings--They are ****
  5. Electrical I am reading
These are costly repairs. Too bad the most stylish, and one of the fastest SUV's made has these major issues.

Originally Posted by tmeriwethr
Sudden acceleration has been a recurring issue with my ML since I purchased it new in 2005. A few weeks ago, it jumped forward while I was maneuvering into a parking space, hit a parking barrier, resulting in over $5,000 in damage to the left front fender and bumper.

Other than this issue, this has been an excellent SUV to drive. I've put almost 80,000 miles on it. Excellent highway driving, maneuverability, power.

Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, will MB own up to it and cover damage caused by the problem?

Last edited by BamaMerc; 02-28-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
2007 ML500 here, 70k miles orig owner. We tow jetskiis 90 mi each way with this vehicle.
None of the above issues noted except one time after a service @ MB I pulled up behind the wifes 550i softly applying the brakes under decel..... when all of a sudden the engine revved up and the ML lurched violently forward, I had to really press the brakes hard to control it and keep from rear ending my wifes car. I chalk this up to adaptation issues after dealer work........ after adaptation was complete no more issues.... BUT I always brake early and far away from cars at a stop light.

If you've ever owned a blown later model fuel inj car with a poor tune that surges at a light.... it felt like this.. like the engine was about to die..... then to compensate the revs climbed instantaneously causing the lurch....... it's not done it since.

I know it was not operator error because I had my foot on the brake under decel when this occured.

Last edited by betrezra; 02-28-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by BamaMerc
You are not crazy and dont listen to these people who may not even own an ML. I have an ML. My ML500 aggravates us to freaking death. The throttle sticks and then..VROOOOMM, but its not a smooth, fast acceleration. It's a jerk then slows down. It does not keep the G force of the initial jerk!! It is definitly an issue, among others. We love this car but the faults are insanely bad faults.
  1. 1. Transmission shifts waaaay too hard underload, decelerations or otherwise. Also just fails if not diagnosis and repair is done quickly --Apparently a reprogram flash of tranny, some valve body replacment, or fluid flush MAY help
  2. Power Steering O ring leaks like a sivfe. causing loud "wine" and it leaks all in engine Bay
These are costly repairs. Too bad the most stylish, and one of the fastest SUV's made has these major issues.
You are describing a different problem, the hard shift, that has been documented on many threads. Then again what do I know? According to you I'm one of these people
that may not own a ML ... I just waste my time here in envy of other ML owners...

Have you taken it in to diagnose? I had similar problems with my R500 (same tranny, motor, and platform as yours) back in early 2009. They replaced the valve body and the problems went away. My ML350 had no problems whatsoever. Very smooth and zero problems.

Last edited by aggst1; 02-28-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:33 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
'03 A4 2.0 Stroker, '14 E63 S AMG, '10 E550, '10 S550, '03 C240
Originally Posted by BamaMerc
You just have a bad egg and some anger issues.

Nothing is ****, take it to a better dealer who knows what the heck they are doing.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:03 PM

w164 (ml 500)
The one thing that I have noticed with our ML 500, is that the hill hold will engage and then it take a bit more then normal throttle to break free causing a jerky start.

Mark.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:38 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
'03 A4 2.0 Stroker, '14 E63 S AMG, '10 E550, '10 S550, '03 C240
Originally Posted by Moto One
The one thing that I have noticed with our ML 500, is that the hill hold will engage and then it take a bit more then normal throttle to break free causing a jerky start.

Mark.
That's completely normal, the Hill Start Assist uses an ultra low wheel speed sensor to know when to activate the system. When the HAC is activated, it holds the brake for about a second. The system will disengage the brake if and only if the amount of thrust being provided is sufficient enough to keep the car from rolling back.

In English, if you don't depress the gas enough to keep the car from rolling backwards, the brake will not release.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:21 AM

2006 ml500, 2016 accord
2006 ml500 sudden unintended acceleration while my foot was still on the break

Originally Posted by tmeriwethr

Today I was waiting the green light at the intersection. I had too much space from the front car. When I took off my foot from the break to roll it but My 2006 ml 500 suddenly went to make broo~o noise and sped up. Luckily my foot was still on the break and pushed down real hard and came to complete stop. My wife, sister and my friend were so scared and screamed. Now my wife told me not to drive and sell it right away. Again I did not even touch the gas pedal and my foot was still on the top of the break when it made the sudden acceleration.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:25 AM

ml 550
2009 ml550 here it has happened to me a number of times, I took it to dealership and they couldn't duplicate it and blamed it on my non Mercedes floormats touching the pedal total bs. Usually in parking lot where foot is on the brake; car would just jump forward. Hasn't happened in a couple of years though.