M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

MB ML350 Bluetec Trailer Hitch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 MB ML350 Bluetec
MB ML350 Bluetec Trailer Hitch

I purchased a 2013 ML 350 Bluetec from dealer inventory. While it had almost every option I could want, it did not have a trailer hitch. My needs now require that I it as an tow vehicle occasionally. When I went back to the dealer to price an MB hitch, they said that installation requires a replacement of the wiring harness for the dash to the back of the vehicle. Total cost approx $3000.
That seems like a step back in design and engineering. I was expecting that the trailer harness would simply plug in to the existing.
Am I off base? Does this really require a complete replacement of the wiring?
Old 03-02-2013, 05:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2021 GLC 300 Coupe, Past ‘12 ML350 & ‘17 GLE AMG43 Coupe
There are some related threads on this forum that speak to this issue and that may give further in sight, but in short the dealer installed hitch for the w166 is an expensive addition. Hopefully you can make it work.

Last edited by AS705; 03-02-2013 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-03-2013, 01:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
The "complete" install requires a hitch, rear harness and wiring adapter, and a revised rear stability control unit. Some aftermarket installs by choice forgo the rear stability module.

Basic hitch and lighting/wiring setup should be around $1100, then the rear "SAM" module can be another $600.

Most dealers do not do the install - since the hitch is not MB but is sourced from aftermarket - but some dealers outsource to a local hitch installer who does the work and supplies the hotch/parts (dealer supplies the SAM) then I would guess that dealer seems to be upcharging/profit on the deal to $3K.

The BlueTech does take some wraggling since that AdBlue tank is back there - but still possible.

I would say start shopping around and find a true hitch/expert guy..
Old 03-03-2013, 09:43 AM

2013 MB ML350 Bluetec
ML 350 Bluetec Hitch

Thank you for your insight! I'll try and find a local qualified installer.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:12 PM

14 ML 350 Blue Tec, 11 E 350 Coupe
I just purchased a 2014 ML 350 Blue Tec with the Trailer Hitch. However there was no Ball Coupling, bolt or cotter pin included. Should these items been included? Kit is not much good without the ball coupling!
Old 05-12-2014, 04:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 ML350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by Cloudbuster
I just purchased a 2014 ML 350 Blue Tec with the Trailer Hitch. However there was no Ball Coupling, bolt or cotter pin included. Should these items been included? Kit is not much good without the ball coupling!
My Cayanne came with the tongue and ball but not the ML. It is not uncommon for this to not be included.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:50 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2021 GLC 300 Coupe, Past ‘12 ML350 & ‘17 GLE AMG43 Coupe
My understanding is that The last MY that this was included was 2012.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 MB G500 NMLE, 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI Prestige
Originally Posted by AS705
My understanding is that The last MY that this was included was 2012.

I think it's funny, since the Owners Manual is so adamant about only using the correct hitch that came with the ML.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:25 AM

14 ML 350 Blue Tec, 11 E 350 Coupe
Thanks for the reply. To me it would be like buying the ML but steering wheel is extras
Old 05-12-2014, 07:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 ML350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by Cloudbuster
Thanks for the reply. To me it would be like buying the ML but steering wheel is extras
I guess they figure you would get the one you want. There are different ball sizes and the tongues to choose from.

Also many never use their hitch, likely more than 50%.

Each of us have different expectations in our new purchase. When buying your tongue and ball do not forget the adapter required to for the flat type wire harness connector!
Old 05-29-2015, 03:40 PM

ML320
Beware U-Haul

In case you consider purchasing and installation from U-Haul (they advertise that have and can install a hitch on a 2012 M Class) please take note of my experience.

I went searching for a hitch for my 2012 M350 BlueTec class late last year after getting the OEM quote from my dealer. Using the U-Haul web site I found and ordered a Class 3 hitch and scheduled installation at my local U-Haul center.

Problem 1: After mounting the hitch the installer explained he couldn't wire it; no harness available for my rig.

Problem 2: Day after install, the AdBlue warning came on. I added DEF but the warning continued. Took to dealer. Hitch installer had lowered the rear of the DEF tank to install the hitch and, in the process, broke the connection from DEF tank to supply line. Crystallized DEF everywhere; $1400 repair.

Problem 3: Noticed a rattling noise from rear. Dealer found hitch installer had cut and removed a portion of the heat shield to install the hitch. Not enough shield left to properly attach it. Still rattles.

U-Haul has denied my claims so we're off to arbitration next.

Dealer related similar experience by one of their customers owning a GLK.

Ed
'12ML350 BT
Old 05-30-2015, 09:15 AM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 ML350 Bluetec
Good luck in your case! I just recently installed a Curt hitch and wiring on my 2015 ML350. It wasn't the easiest, but pretty straightforward! Yes, you must 'trim' the heat shield, but I added 2 sheet metal screws to stabilize! Also, the instructions make note of temporarily removing the DEF support bar to fit in hitch, but caution to support DEF tank while base support is removed. Sounds like your installer was a bit of a lazy pig! The wiring is pretty straightforward, once you understand how MB's taillight plug works. I can share all of my work, wiring colours, part #'s, etc when I return from the cottage should anyone want. Also, once I finished, I relayed all my wiring info to Curt Manufacturing.... They were very happy with my info. One thing to note... Going aftermarket will not give you the stability control that the factory Hitch/SAM module will support! But... If you're stuck without a pre-purchased hitch, this is a good second! Total cost... $300.CAN
Old 06-01-2015, 07:57 AM

2012 E-350 Luxury Black W122, 2015 ML 350
Curt Hitch

I recently had a Curt hitch installed for my bike rack. At some point I will need to add the wiring. When you have time please post your wiring information.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:48 PM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by RCFRANK
I recently had a Curt hitch installed for my bike rack. At some point I will need to add the wiring. When you have time please post your wiring information.
Done...
https://mbworld.org/forums/new-m-cla...-bluetech.html
Old 08-19-2015, 02:18 AM

2015 ML 350
Same issue with Uhaul installation.

Originally Posted by oreddie
In case you consider purchasing and installation from U-Haul (they advertise that have and can install a hitch on a 2012 M Class) please take note of my experience.

I went searching for a hitch for my 2012 M350 BlueTec class late last year after getting the OEM quote from my dealer. Using the U-Haul web site I found and ordered a Class 3 hitch and scheduled installation at my local U-Haul center.

Problem 1: After mounting the hitch the installer explained he couldn't wire it; no harness available for my rig.

Problem 2: Day after install, the AdBlue warning came on. I added DEF but the warning continued. Took to dealer. Hitch installer had lowered the rear of the DEF tank to install the hitch and, in the process, broke the connection from DEF tank to supply line. Crystallized DEF everywhere; $1400 repair.

Problem 3: Noticed a rattling noise from rear. Dealer found hitch installer had cut and removed a portion of the heat shield to install the hitch. Not enough shield left to properly attach it. Still rattles.

U-Haul has denied my claims so we're off to arbitration next.

Dealer related similar experience by one of their customers owning a GLK.

Ed
'12ML350 BT
I'm having the same issue with my hitch installation. They cut the heat shield on my 2015 ML 350 without letting me know they would need to do that and now there is a constant rattle and squeak that comes from it while I'm driving. I'm beyond upset because it's a brand new vehicle. I spoke with Repwest and they denied the claim. I know you said you had to go through arbitration what was the outcome?

The uhaul installation has been a pain since day one. They didn't have the part on time, then when I did take it in they stated they ordered the wrong part. Then I find out they didn't connect the wiring cables correctly, didn't even hook it to a power source. Another uhaul location from which I rented a trailer from went out of their way to fix it in the 100 degree Texas heat for 3 hours! I got the hitch installed at the San Antonio San Pedro location and they've been no help all they've done thus far is refund the $65 wiring installation fee.

I need to find out what to do since uhaul has denied my claim. They can't go around altering and damaging people's vehicles and not have repercussions. Help please?